Status: Brand new story. let me know what you think.

Welcome to the Family

Sunshine when it rains

(Three weeks later)
Me and Maddi sat at a table at Starbucks watching the world go by. “So, are you planning on coming back to school soon?” She asked me, I sighed and looked at her “Is that asshole sack of shit still parading around like he owns the place?” I asked sulkily, knowing I sounded like a brat but not caring “OK…….. I take that as a no” she said, biting her lip. I gave a humourless laugh as I played with the split in my skirt, not wanting to meet her eyes. There was no way I was ready to come face to face with Jake, not after what happened. I realised that everyone was being patient with me but it wold only last so long, I knew it was starting frustrated Maddi that I didn’t even try to face school, all I did was hide in my room for the most part, other than going to the shrink that Jimmy and Leana and dad were making me go to. This was the first outing I’d made since coming home from the hospital. “Can you just leave it alone Madd’s?” I asked, finally looking up, and hating the sight of the pity in her eyes. She sighed “Ok then, did you sleep much last night?” she asked, I shrugged “I got a couple of hours” I replied, playing with my coffee cup. “In other words you woke up screaming and spent the rest of the night unable to sleep” Maddi said, cupping her hands around mine to stop my fidgeting. I looked up at her, biting my lip as I gave a nod. “Every time I close my eyes I relive it Madd’s, I just don’t know how to deal with it.” I told her tensely, fighting back the tears that wanted to form.

I flinched as someone put a hand on my shoulder “OMG, I’m so sorry Scout, I didn’t mean to make you jump” Ella said as I turned to look at who’d touched me. “It’s ok” I assured her as Miki approached “She doesn’t like to be touched anymore” Miki told Ella, who nodded in understanding “Do you blame her?” Maddi asked, Miki shrugged before adding, “It’s worse if she doesn’t see you coming” I rolled my eyes “I’m right here” I complained, “We know” Maddie shot back. I looked at what Ella was wearing, it seemed a little out of character for her style. “You going somewhere?” I asked, she nodded, “Yeah, it’s my Grandmas birthday, I’m heading over there now, I just need a caffeine fix before dealing with my family, especially my brothers” Ella told me with a grimace. I grinned “I know the feeling. My brother Troy is moving here soon to keep an eye on me” I replied, before slipping down in my seat with a sigh. The more I thought about it the more I missed my brothers, as much as Adam, Scott and troy annoyed me, I did miss seeing them all the time. And then there was Joel, that freaking goof ball. I missed him the most. “Earth to Scouty, you in there” Maddi asked, waving a hand in my face and making me flinch. “Sorry, just thinking about my brothers” I said sheepishly. “Thinking how they’d smash that asshole?” Miki asked, I shook my head with a half-smile. “Nah, thinking how I’d love to play a game of footy with those losers” I replied, starting to feel a bit sad. “o…kay then. Anyways, I gotta run. I’ll see you guys later” Ella said after glancing at her watch. I waved as she turned away, the other two calling out their farewells.

Miki dropped down at the table next to me, giving me a smile. I gave her strained one I return. Miki reached out her hand to me hesitantly to me and after a moment I took her hand and lay my head on her shoulder. “You ok?” Miki asked me, I gave a slight shake of my head “Too much?” Miki asked me, resting her cheek against the top of my head. I gave a half shrug in reply not really knowing why I was feeling out of sorts. “Can you bunk over tonight?” I asked her softly, I could practically hear her smile, “Yeah, not a problem” Miki replied, detangling her fingers from mine and then wrapping her arm around me and pulling me closer, taking my hand in her free hand. I looked up as Liam dropped down next to Maddi. “Hey” I said in greeting, “Hey scout, how’s it going?” He asked me, throwing me an easy smile. “I wanna go home but Maddi won’t let me” I replied, throwing my sister a dirty look, she smiled brightly in reply “Suck it up princess. We are gonna be civilised and……..” She trailed of, her expression growing dark and murderous. “We’re going home” She announced jumping to her feet. I started to turn to look at what had caught her attention but she grabbed my face, making me flinch “Don’t look” She told me, pulling me to my feet and hustling me out the door, Miki grabbed my bag and followed with Liam bringing up the rear. I managed to get a glance back, catching sight of Jake, and I felt my heart jump up into my throat. i allowed myself to be bundled into Miki’s car without a fight. I wish I’d just stayed at home.

**About an hour later in Miki’s PoV**
I lay on my back listening to the shower. Of all days to run into Jake and I was positive Scout had seen him. She’d been in the shower for ages, I was starting to get worried when I heard the water switch off. A few minutes after that she emerged, wearing a t-shirt and panties. Without a word she lay down next to me, one arm thrown over her eyes. I lay watching her for a long moment, before reaching out a hand and laying it on her thigh. She flinched slightly then relaxed tho I had expected it I still hated the fact that Jake had damaged her so much. My eyes fell on where here shirt had ridden up and was exposing her belly, rolling on my side, I started running my hand over her belly, my fingers slowly working her shirt higher. After a few moments I pushed myself up onto my knees and straddled her legs, I felt her stiffen under me, but she didn’t tell me to stop. I ran my hands up her sides, surprised that my hands didn’t hit a bra. I kissed her belly gently, and pushed her shirt up further, then kissed a little higher,. Scout started trying to pull my dress off, so I sat up and pulled it off and threw it to one side, before leaning down to kiss her neck, her chest felt warm against mine. I kissed the underside of her jaw. “No, stop….. I just” She started to say, putting her hands on my shoulders and starting to push me away. I snaked an arm under her and rolled over, so now she was lying on top of me. “It’s ok.” I told her, watching hundreds of emotions flash across her face. “What ever you’re comfortable with” I told her, feeling my heart sink as her eyes filled with tears. She tried to pull away but I wouldn’t let her. “Scout, talk to me” I begged as on of her tears fell on my face. “You deserve better than a broken shell” She told me trying once more to roll away, this time I let her and watched as she curled up in a ball, her back facing me, I watched for a long moment as her body was wracked with silent sobs before scooting closer and wrapping myself around her, my chin resting on her shoulder as I held her. “I don’t want anyone else” I told her, giving her shoulder a kiss. “Broken shell or not, I love you and I want to be the one who helps you heal. I don’t care how slow or how long it takes. I’m not going anywhere.” I told her, meaning every word.

With some poking and prodding I got her to roll over and lay against me, her head resting against my collar bone and a hand cupping one of my bare breasts. She was sprawled half across me and I was running my hand up and down the leg that was across my body, my other arm wrapped around her, holding her tightly against my side. “Why” She asked me softly, making me frown. “Why what?” I asked, she shrugged “Why do you want me?” She elaborated. I shrugged “It’s hard to describe. I mean, to me, your like sunshine in rain, rain in summer, strawberries and cream. Baby animals and rock and roll. You make my life worth it just by being mine” I told her, looking down at her, her eyes looked back at me for a very long time. “Your my light in a very, very dark place. I’m sorry I cant ….. I cant be intimate in the way you want” She told me. I stared at her in shock “As long as I can hold you I don’t care how intimate we are. I’d be happy just cuddling.” I told her. She appeared to think this over before shifting so she was laying on top of me once more and we were nose to nose, before kissing me long and deep.