Status: Brand new story. let me know what you think.

Welcome to the Family

Making Mistakes

“C’mon Scout, time to get up, school starts in a couple of hours. Move your ass, or I’ll get Jimmy” Leanna told me, yanking off my doona and exposing my body to the cool morning air. “Go Away” I mumbled into my pillow. I hadn’t slept in much last night, nor every other night this week. I missed my bed and I couldn’t sleep in this one. It wasn’t my crazy ass four poster bed. “One more chance Scout” Leana warned me as she dumped my doona on the floor next to my bed. “I’m not going” told her stubbornly, my face pressed into my pillow. “Hey Jimmy, come get Scout up. Jump on her if you have to” Leana yelled out as she left my room. I looked you in surprise as my doona was dumped back on me. “Come on Scout. I know starting at a new school sucks, but you have to bub. What do I have to do to get you to do this without a fight?” Jimmy asked me as he sat down on the edge of the bed. “A puppy” I said jokingly. Jimmy smiled at me “If you want a puppy, we’ll get you a puppy.” Jimmy told me, “I was joking Jimmy” I told him as I sat up. “I know, but I wasn’t” He told me. “You guys would really get ma puppy?” I asked, a smile starting to form Jimmy nodded. “I’ll be happy with a surfboard and a skateboard” I replied, Jimmy grinned “I’ll take you shopping after school” Jimmy told me, before climbing to his feet and leaving my room. I watched him go before crawling from my bed resignedly. I guess I was having early mornings from now on.

--Later at school--
I stopped dead with a gasp of shock as icy coldness hit me in the face. I blinked to try to get the stinging mess, not wanting to make it worse by rubbing them. I heard an angry voice from beside me “Sanders, you fucking bitch, she didn’t do anything to you” the girl standing beside me snapped at the cheerleader who had thrown the slushy in my face. She laughed before responding “You scene freaks all look the same to me.” She replied before turning back to laugh with her friends. “C’mon Hun, let’s get you cleaned up” said the girl who had come to my defence muttered as she took my arm and started steering me in the direction of the girls bathroom “I’m Mikayla, Miki for short. I’m so sorry for that bitch out there. Unfortunately if your remotely scene looking, it makes you a target for cheerleaders and the jocks” She told me, wetting some paper towels before handing them to me. “If you want, you can come hang out with me and my crew. All we do is play basketball, but it will keep you safe from the cheer whores” Miki said as she helped me pick clumps of sticky, flavoured ice out of my hair. “Why are you being so nice?” I asked her, fishing around in my bag for my hairbrush, trying to ignore the blue staining my singlet.

“I would recommend wearing black as much as possible” She told me as she pulled a black Miss May I singlet from her bag “As to why I’m being so nice, I’ve been where you are, when I started here at the beginning of my freshman year, I was targeted non-stop until I joined the basketball team and now I’m only targeted sometimes.” She told me, I quickly switched my singlet for the black one before starting to brush my hair out. “So, the question remains, Do you want a friend or do you want to try to survive alone?” She asked, styling the back of my hair as she met my eyes in the mirror. “Friends are good” Giving her a tentative smile, she grinned back as the door of the bathroom opened. “Kai” I cried out in delight as I saw her familiar face. “Scouty” She shrieked back, launching herself at me.

“Oh my god, what happened?” Kai asked, taking in my wet hair as she stepped back after molesting me. “She got slushied by Sanders” Mikayla told her. Kai gave me a sympathetic look “Yeah, you might want to watch out for her, She’s a nasty piece of work” Kai told me with a sigh. “Has she always been this way?” I asked, taking in the almost sad look on Kai’s face. Kai shook her head “Only since we got to high school. She used to be nice, but I guess people change” Kai told me softly “I’m guessing you guys were friends” I said, not at all surprised when Kai nodded. “Yup, then she became too good for me” Kai told me with a shrug. “Well, you’re good enough for me” I told her with a hug. “So, are you guys joining us during break?” Mikayla asked, I looked at Kai before nodding. “Cool, so….. Do you have your timetable yet?” Miki asked “That’s where I was going when I was attacked” I replied with a half shrug. “Gimme a second and I’ll come with you” Kai told me, dropping her bag next to me before dashing into a toilet cubical “Watch my shit Scouty” She told me as she shut the door.

Mikayla grinned at me and leaned back against the wall. “So, how did you two meet?” she asked me. “A BVB signing on my first day in Huntington Beach. Then we started talking on Facebook” I started to say but Kai cut me off “Then we met to hang out. Coffee dates and stuff” She said as she came out of the stall, followed by the sound of flushing “Talking of coffee, are we still good for this afternoon?” I asked her, She nodded and glanced at Miki as she washed her hands “You wanna come too Miki?” She asked , drying her hands, then picking up her bag. “only if you guys want me too” She said looking unsure “I nodded as Kai said “I wouldn’t have asked if I didn’t mean it” Mikayla smiled “Let’s go get your timetale and figure out a buddy system” She said, gesturing to the door. “You gonna get a couple of your B girls to help?” Kai asked her, taking my hand after shouldering my bag, Mikayla shrugged “C’mon, You’ve got yourself some body guards” Kai told me as she dragged me towards the door.

I was delighted to find out that I had classes with either one or the other, but I was lucky enough to have some classes with both girls. “I can’t believe my luck” I said as I followed Kai down the hall towards maths, making Kai grin “Stick with me and you’ll be fine” She assured me as she linked her arm through mine. We stopped next to the doors of our maths classroom “Yuck, who wants to have Maths first thing on a Monday morning” I muttered darkly, getting a giggle from Kai “Come on Scouty” She said, dragging me inside. I let her pull me towards the back of the classroom as we moved. My gaze fell on the girl who had thrown the slushie in my face. I felt my face burn with rage at the sight of her “So, managed to find a shirt did we?” She asked me as Kai led me past the table she was sitting on. i stopped dead and turned to look at her. “tell me, did it hurt when you fell out of the whore tree and banged every guy on the way down?” I asked her sweetly, smiling smugly but knowing it didn’t extend to my eyes. Around me the classroom went silent as Sanders stood up , her face pink with anger “How dare you” she stepped closer, trying to crowd me. “The same way you dared to throw a slushie in my face” I told her, getting in her face and making her take an involuntary step back. “You just made a huge mistake” She told me angrily. “Meh, it’s just a tiny one in millions” I shot back, turning my back only to spin back and grab the fist flying at the back of my head “Now that was a big one” twisting her wrist until she cried out in pain “Try to hit me again and I’ll break it” I told her as I let go. I turned and walked over to Kai, who was staring at me in shock. I smiled tentatively “C’mon, let’s get a seat” I said to her, giving her a nudge. Kai shook her head in amazement but didn’t question me until we sat down at the back of the classroom.

“Ok, What the hell was that?” she asked me, sounding shocked. I shrugged “I’ve never been able to hold my tongue and……… well, I was viciously bullied at my old school” I told her looking down at the table top in front of me. “Bullied how?” Kai asked me softly. “Getting pushed down stairs and slammed into lockers and walls, Beatings. The only way it stopped was when I became friends with a couple of senior boys, they looked after me, even taught me to protect myself” thinking of Drew, Liam and Sam. “They taught me to play Basketball, and how to skate and surf” I added, getting a smile from Kai as I looked up at her. “So that explains you giving Madison……….You Surf?” she asked, pausing before changing the subject. “Mmmm Hmmm. For about two years. I’ve been skating for three, but I only got good about two years ago” I told her. “I skate and surf, but I’m not very good” Kai told me with a sigh “Well, maybe I can help with that, let’s go skating when I get a deck” I told her, ignoring the dirty looks I was getting from Sanders. “Ok” she whispered as the teacher swept in.