Status: Brand new story. let me know what you think.

Welcome to the Family

Friends, Gotta love em

Miki dropped me off home with the promise to pick me up in an hour for coffee and a movie. Leana and jimmy grinned at me as I walked in while their friends stared at me in surprise. I recognised Zacky and Syn, though the women with them were unknown to me “Hey Scout, How was school?” Jimmy asked me with a grin. I shrugged “I made a few friends ……..and an enemy” I replied, dropping my bag on the bench as I reached for the phone “Scout, This is Brian and Zacky and their better halves, Gena and Michelle. Guys, This is Scout. She’s Aimee’s daughter” Jimmy told them as he climbed to his feet and crossed to the counter “and she’s living with you guys because….” Gena asked, smiling at me. “Cos my mom hates me, and dumping me on Jimmy and Leanna is easier than dealing with me” I replied, taking the bag and two decks Jimmy handed me “As promised, skateboard, plus the things need to assemble. Does this help with getting you up to go to school?” Jimmy asked me, making me grin “For the next couple of weeks anyway, oh… and by the way, I’m part of the girls basketball team at school” I added, grabbing my bag and quickly leaving the room before they could respond. I still couldn’t believe that I’d been asked to join the rebels after just one lunchtime scratch match with them. It was just pure luck that their coach had come out to watch as I snatched the ball from Ella and ran the length of the court and shot an incredible hoop. The coach had the pulled me out of the game to talk to me, effectively putting an end to the game, though I don’t think she meant to. The others stopped out of curiosity, and then got excited when I said yes to joining the team.

I thought over everything that had happened today as I put my deck together, about halfway through, I stopped to call Kai, but her mum answered “Hey mummy Drake, it’s Scouty, can I talk to Kai please?” I asked. “Of course Scout, I’ll just get her” Her mum told me, the line was quiet for a short time before Kai answered “Hey Hun, what’s up?” she asked me “Not much, just calling to tell you to bring your deck when Miki picks you up. My Unkie Jimmy got me a couple of boards” I told her before adding as an afterthought “Do you have Miki’s number, I wanna call her” I said, reaching for the pad and pen sitting on my bedside table, writing down Miki’s mobile and home number as Kai told me them. “Thanks Kai, I’ll just call her and see if she wants to come skating, I’ll see you in an hour or so” I told her before saying goodbye and hanging up.

I jumped in surprise when Leana spoke “So, you’re going out?” she asked me from the doorway. I nodded “Yeah, We’re going for coffee, then skating, then to a movie” I told her with a smile. “who are you going with?” Leana asked. “Um, Kai and a girl from school. Mikayla James, she’s the captain of the Rebels” I told Leana as I dialled Miki’s home number. “So you don’t know what time you’ll be home?” Leana asked me, a small smile forming, I shook my head “I’ll call and let you know” I promised before pressing the call button and putting the phone to my ear. Leana nodded before leaving me to it. “Hi, can I talk to Mikayla please?” I asked when a guy answered the phone. “Yeah, who’s calling?” He asked me, sounding almost bored “Um… tell her its Scout.” I told him, “Ok, just a minute” he told me, I heard Miki’s name yelled and a few seconds later my name spoken before Miki answered “I’m sorry about that scout, I swear Danny was born in a cave, and now I think about it, how did you get my number” she asked, making me laugh “I got it off Kai, who’s Danny?” I asked in return “My brother, so……what’s up?” She asked me, for what I realised was the second time “Just wondering if you skate at all, cause me and Kai are gonna go skate after coffee” I told her “I haven’t skated since I broke my wrist about two years ago” she told me, I could hear the grin in her voice. “Did you wanna join in, I could bring my spare deck if you want me to?” I asked her, wedging the phone between my shoulder and my ear as I started to put the wheels on my trucks. “Yeah, bring it with you; I’ll pick you up in a while.” She told me, “Alright, I’ll finish assembling the deck” I told her, dropping t ball baring’s into place “Ok, I’ll call you when I’m leaving, um…… what’s your number?” she asked me, making me giggle. I gave it to her before hanging up the phone and starting on the other wheel.

When I was done, I went out into the kitchen, stopping in surprise when I saw two girls about my age sitting on bar stools at the breakfast bar “All done?” Leana asked me. “Yup. And Miki thanks you for getting me two boards. She kinda needs to borrow one” I told her, putting the phone back on its cradle. I could feel the two girl’s eyes on me as I turned and jumped up to sit on the counter next to the phone. “Scout, these two are my girls, Lenora and Jasmine. Guys, this is Scout. She’s staying with Jimmy and Leana for…..” Gena trailed off, trying to find a way to finish her sentence. “I like the term indefinite hiatus.” I told her, making everyone laugh. “Cool style” Jasmine told me, eyeing up my outfit, I shrugged, looking down at my bright red cons. “awwww, you going shy on us scout” Jimmy teased “No. I’m just feeling overwhelmed. Sort of a…. a sensory overload” I shot back looking up. “Deep end, no floaties and can’t swim?” Lenora asked with a smirk. “Meh, something like that” I agreed. “Where did you get your hat?” Jasmine asked me, I grinned “Hot topic” me and Leana said in unison, then laughing. “So…. You like Batman?” She asked me. I nodded, picking up “Huntington Beach city Morgue, how can we help you?” I asked as I put the phone to my ear. “Well, we’ll be picking up a stiff in fifteen minutes.” Miki told me, I could hear Kai losing it in the background. “That’s a little harsh. I mean, I’m pretty lively for a stiff” I told her. “Bitch please. Be ready, I really don’t feel like getting out to drag your ass to the car. So be lively” Miki told me, hanging up as I opened my mouth to retaliate. “Aye aye captain” I muttered, hanging the phone up. “Not even asking” Leana said, kicking Jimmy to shut him up.

“Friends gotta love em. Nobody can insult you the same” Jasmine said cheerfully, I laughed and nodded in agreement. Lenora was eyeing me up, in an almost calculating way. “Can I help you?” I asked, feeling a little uncomfortable. “Sorry, it’s just…… you look kinda familiar” she told me, blushing. “Familiar how?” I asked, “Just…. Have you ever sang for a band?” she asked, making me grin. “No, well, sort of. I spent some time singing with a friend’s band back home. Are you familiar with a band called The Main Attraction?” I asked, getting a nod from both girls. “I sang with them for a while when their original singer left. Then I left so they could get someone in full time.” I told them. “Sierra’s got a good voice though” Jasmine said, I smiled “Yeah. Rara’s cool. She dropped out of college to sing for them” I told them, “So… you know her well?” Lenora asked, I nodded “Sierra used to babysit me. Her mom and mine are friends” I replied with a shrug. “What about the guys. How do you know them?” Jasmine asked “I went to school with their drummer, and I used to date their lead guitarist” I dropped down off the counter at the sound of a car horn from the driveway. “Wow” Jasmine replied. “Our breakup was the reason I left the band” I added, turning away. “I’ll see y’all later” I called, dashing into my room then out the door, bag on my shoulder and skateboards under my arm. I grinned at Miki as I jumped into the front seat. “Hey sexy” Kai said, as I passed the boards through to the back. “Hey.” I replied, frowning as I noticed the garter tattooed on Miki’s thigh. “Damn, when did you get that?” I asked, looking up at her. Mikayla grinned “When I turned 18. Danny paid for it to spite my parents” she told me. I grinned “Yeah, I have friends who are tat artists. Saved me a fortune. I’m kinda hoping to follow in their footsteps and get an appretiship” I told them. “So that’s your thing?” Kai asked, I nodded “That or singer. If I can do both, that’d be awesome, but if not, tattooing is my first choice” I replied. “I like that one too. You can tattoo me for free” Miki agreed. I settled back in my seat, content to listen to Kai and Mikayla bicker jokingly.