Status: Brand new story. let me know what you think.

Welcome to the Family

Playing at what?

**Miki’s pov**
I watched Scout as she pulled the books from her locker, my mind racing as she paused to watch Jake walk past, her eyes getting a wistful expression, it hurt to realise it was really him she wanted, but when asked last night, he was the first person who had jumped into her head. I jumped as Scout slammed her locker shut and took my hand. “SO not looking forward to history” She grumbled, resting her head on my shoulder for a minute before we started walking towards our first class. I knew I liked Scout, but did I like her enough to sacrifice my feelings for her happiness? Just as we reached the door to our classroom, I stopped, bringing Scout up short as well, she turned to look at me with a frown. “Scout…..” I started to say, but paused as Madison flounced past us, glaring at Scout. “Yeah?” Scout looked confused, “Last night……it can’t happen again. And it won’t” I told her, watching as her face crumpled with hurt “Why? Wasn’t I good enough?” She asked me softly. I could tell she was fighting tears “No baby girl, god no. it’s just, we both know your heart has been stolen by someone else. If that doesn’t work out for you….. well, I’ll still be here waiting. Ready to pick up the pieces” I told her pulling her closer so she could hear me as I kept my voice low. “But…” She started to say. “Scout…. You really like Jake, I could tell by the way you watched him walk past, and you realised he was there, without me having to point him out. Babe, it was in your eyes. I don’t want to play second best. But I’ll wait until i can be your number one” I told her, giving her a hug. “Are…are you sure Miki?” She asked. I nodded and dragged her into class, heading for the back where Jake was sitting. I made sure to make Scout sit at the table between us.

“Sup Miki.” Jake said, grinning at me as Scout tried to avoid looking at him. “Alright, do me a favour tonight yeah? Leave mine and Scouts names at the door so we can get in” I said, Jake nodded and glanced at Scout who was rummaging around in her bag. “Passes?” He asked i shook my head “I’m not ready to subject her to the spectacle that is Kai and Oli” I replied, Scout looked up at me “I’m not sure I’m ready to see it, just hearing how she talks about him made me feel kinda dirty” Scout told me. “Don’t worry sweetheart, seeing it is even worse” Jake told Scout, I hoped I was the only one to notice the pink tinge that appeared in her cheeks. “So, I hear you have a new girl on the squad” Jake said as he settled back in his seat as we waited for the teacher to start the class, I looked pointedly at Scout and Jake raised an eyebrow. “I know you’re looking at me” Scout said, though I could have sworn she was ignoring us. Jake laughed. “So, I hear you alienated the cheer captain on your first day.” He said to her, she shrugged and looked at him through her hair, practically radiating shyness, She looked absolutely fucking adorable. “If you mean the bitch who slushied me for no reason, then yeah, I did” She replied quietly, dropping her eyes back to the history book in front of her. I watched as Jake went to speak before going silent as the teacher strode in and started talking.

I noticed that Jake continuously glanced at Scout throughout the lesson, at one point he even sat staring at her instead of the book in front of him. When the bell rang, he even watched her stuff her books into her bag. “I’ll see you later Miki” Scout whispered in my ear as she hugged me. I watched her walk out of the class before turning to a confused Jake. “Is there something between you two?” He asked as he swept his books into his bag. “No.” I lied, the truth was just way too complicated. “So….. is she single?” He asked as he followed me out of our classroom, I nodded, “Look Jake, if you like her tell her, or better yet, ask her out” I told him, before walking away.

**Scout’s PoV**
I slid into the seat next to Kai, who noticed that I was unusually quiet. “What’s wrong babes?” She asked, turning away from the guy sitting on her desk. “I’m just having a rough day” I replied softly, not really wanting to go into it. I tried to muster a smile as she hugged me but I don’t think I did a good job. “I’ll be ok” I told her, my eyes drawing to the door as Jake walked in. “I’ll see you later sexy.” The guy sitting on Kai’s desk said as he slid off and headed over to a desk in the middle of the room and Jake joined him, dropping down in the seat next to him. Jake then turned to look back at me. I blushed and dropped my eyes to the desk. Feeling my cheeks burn. “Did he do something to you?” Kai asked, sounding as if she was ready to get pissed. “I looked up at her and grinned “No mom.” I teased, smiling properly “Then what?” she asked her face softening. “I’m surprised you can’t tell the obvious signs of a crush” I replied dryly, pulling my English book from my bag. “Did you want me to play match maker?” She asked, I shook my head “No. Just leave it alone for now ok?” I asked, I was praying she would listen cos this had the potential to blow up in my face. “Well, he cant seem to stop looking back at you. I think you should talk to him.” She whispered to me, I looked over to where Jake was sitting and blushed again as I met his eyes. I knew I was being stupid, but….. well, I couldn’t help it.

I practically launched out of my seat when the bell went, heading for the door before Kai could do anything I didn’t trust her not to try matchmaking. I was halfway down the hall when someone fell into step next to me. I assumed it was Kai. “Don’t even think about playing….” I trailed off as I turned to look at the person who was next to me, my I felt my cheeks start to burn when I realised it wasn’t Kai. “Playing what?” Jake asked me as I stopped dead to stare at him. “I…um…. Nothing” I stuttered, swallowing nervously. He took my arm and pulled me to the side of the corridor so we weren’t blocking the hallway. “You look cute when you blush” He told me, I probably blushed a deeper shade of red cos he smiled. “ who did you think I was?” he asked me, when I didn’t respond “Kai” I replied dryly. “No, I think your safe from her doing anything. Her and Oli snuck off to god knows where” he told me, I sighed and shook my head. “That sounds about right” I replied softly. “So….. I was wondering…….” Jake said, trailing off. I looked up at him when he didn’t finish his sentence. “Wondering what?” I asked, tilting my head to the side slightly. “Do you wanna ditch with me? I mean, it’s cool if you don’t” he said quickly. I smiled and nodded “It’s cool, as long as you have her back in time for training after school” Miki sad from behind me, I turned to look at her. “Thanks for the permission mom” I told her dryly. “Your welcome. Have fu-un” She replied in a sing song voice. I gave her a dirty look before following Jake towards his locker. I frowned when he pulled a motorcycle helmet out of his locker and shoved his bag in. “I only have one so you can wear it.” He told me, taking my hand and leading me in the direction of the car park. I stopped in surprise when I saw his bike. It was a red and black Harley Davidson fat boy. “th…that’s yours?” I stammered, staring at it in awe. He nodded placing the helmet on my head and fastening it up. “Yeah, my brothers and dad got it for me when I got my licence.” He told me with a grin. “um, shorten your bag’s strap so it hugs your body more” he told me, watching me struggle with it for a moment, before stepping forwards to help. “Thanks” I muttered, Jake just smiled. “Do you mind if we stop at my place before going to do something? I just want to grab my other helmet” he asked, I shrugged “That’s fine.” I replied, feeling nervous.

I watched him climb on, before climbing up behind him, I was a little hesitant as to how to hang on, which made Jake laugh. He gently grabbed both my wrists and wrapped my arms around his waist. “I don’t bite Scout.” He told me as he backed the bike out of the parking bay and kick started it. I was surprised he was able to move it with both our weights on it. “You comfy?” He asked me, turning the bike in the direction of the parking lot entrance. I nodded and settled my head against his back breathing in the smell of his shirt as we sped away from the school.