The Inevitable

The Inevitable - A Batman Joker story. Chapter 3.

His body was now beginning to feel the full weakness of starvation, dehydration, and the bruises and cuts his body had been experiencing. His vision was constantly blurring as he attempted to fix up his wounds. Countless times he felt like he was going to pass out once more, but he tried to hone in on his training to stay sharp. Special attention was needed for his leg. It had been a deep gash caused by one of Joker's thugs, and it had not been treated for a long time. Signs of infection were thankfully faint.

Wrapping it up tightly with some strong antibiotics and bandages, he tilted his head back finally and sighed.

His eyes began to traverse the batcave, his eyes falling on the various odds and ends of Joker's items he had collected as evidence or research over the years. His eyes hollowed once more.

His hands and legs found its way over to the table dedicated to all of Joker's things. His hands sifted over the various traps gags and odd things Joker used. There were chattering teeth, rubber chickens, thug masks, a gag cork pop gun, and even notes he had left in the past. A sickening warm feeling came over his heart as his hand dragged over the letters before it was blown out and felt colder then ever. Bitterness stung the corners of his lips and turned his face into a frown.

Turning swiftly, he returned to his room. He ate his meal listlessly, but almost immediately he could feel some of his energy coming back to his body. It was a strange feeling to have energy flowing back to his body even though Bruce himself still felt numb. All of the sudden, there was beeping from his cowl.
Picking it up, he pressed his fingers to the side of it halfheartedly.

"Batman? ... This is Gordon. I... I don't really know what to say. After all of these years you finally managed to put that lunatic down permanently," Batman's teeth clenched at the harsh reminder.
"It seems like it has been ages that you two have been playing cat and mouse. It is so strange that it all ended today. And to see you carry him out like th--" Bruce skipped the message, reluctant to hear those moments replayed for him.

"Hey... we were rounding up the rest of Joker's thugs, and I overheard them saying that you were going to die. They said the last time they saw you you looked... a lot worse for wear to say in the least. I just wanted to make sure you are still alive..."

Gordon then paused for a long time.

"If you are still alive. I wanted to let you know. His body is in our morgue. I left the key to the station and room behind a loose brick near the door. Its up to you if you want to. You know. Say goodbye." The voice mail ended in an abrupt click.