The Inevitable

The Inevitable - A Batman Joker story. Chapter 5.

Throughout the night, the thug's words rattled around in his head like an angry bee.

"I honestly am glad that my boss is dead, you guys act like a fucking homosexual couple, he deserved to die."

His eyes scanned blankly over all of Nigma's pointless challenges and question marks all over Gotham's walls and ground, trying not to think about it much.

Batman looked at the police station in passing. The night air seemed to chill as he locked eyes on the building. An inevitable urge pulled at him. Reluctantly maneuvering himself to the building top, he turned on his detective vision. The whole building was empty of people, other then the morgue bodies. A couple of the shelves were empty. But he was sure they were soon to be filled with all of the prisoners Hugo Strange had killed.

Retrieving the key cautiously, he put his hand on the door. A cold chill came over him. A chill of remembrance. The last time he had seen Joker... he was in his arms. His face scabbed and deteriorated, his whole body a messy lifeless corpse. His face in that smile he always had, and died with it as well.

A sad expression traced its way over Batman's face as he clicked the door open, the door creaking open to an empty police station. His hand ran over his shoulder almost as if he was trying to remember the last physical contact he had with Joker before... before he was gone. His footsteps left no sounds as his alter persona took over, swiftly going down the stairs, his shape and colors blending with the shadows.

His hand glided over the door of the morgue. A terrifying amount fear overcame him. A fear he had only felt once in his life. Which is what had made him into what he was. But this fear. This fear was different.

For years he had been able to keep his composure, his morals, and his attitude in check. It had never once quavered in the face of any problem or situation. But the moment Joker had died. He was not the same at all. He had been losing it consistently.

He was falling apart.

And in that moment, he was afraid of what he would do or how he would react looking at Joker's cold lifeless body, finally stretched out on a shelf.