Seven Billion Secrets

Melted Ice

A SKY ONCE BLUE HAD LONG SINCE CRACKED TO SLATE GREY. TREES RESTED WITH THE WIND, LEANING IN ITS arms. Soothing classical music streamed from the corner stereo system and blended with the growing wind. A single piece of mail rested on the doorstep, a single envelope, daring to stay.

Eyes blinked through the shields. Leave me alone, I dare you. Go away. Just go away. Leave me! The glassy white front door slammed opened and the envelope was lifted from the ground. A thumbnail split along the edge of the folding paper, slicing the seal with impatience. Inside, several stapled pages were folded tightly into separate bundles, but still part of the one letter. A single sheet rested alone, folded roughly and pressed harshly along the creases. With gentle hands, the single sheet was pulled out and slowly opened. Out of the hundreds of processed words, few were observed. Their anger and pain bled out onto the paper, screaming, and saying I’m sorry over and over.

Dead. He is. Dead. He is dead. Dead.

The other words faded, dying, with the letter and the envelope, dying. Tears blacked the letter, and soon, it began to cry itself. The letter split into thousands of pieces, swept into flight by the growing wind, dancing away from pain. A crack of thunder broke the breaking ice.

And the sky began to cry.