What If?

Map of the Problematique

I watched the water vapour from my mug of tea condense on the window pane. Another sigh escaping as I stared at the darkening skyline, hoping for him to reappear any moment so that I could go home. Well, home was the Tardis. I felt rather lost, alone with out the Doctor. I tried not being a wimp but well, he'd left me in a parallel universe where I could be living around the corner from myself. And I wasn't in much hurry to pay her a visit. The universe would explode, wouldn't it?

I wondered if I even knew the Doctor here. If the alternate me had any knowledge of him at all. The thought made me worry. Just the image of my room and all it's raggedy Doctor things, gone and never existent as a child. I didn't like it one bit. A sudden sinking feeling in my bones as I stared out at the misty grey streets, the cup of tea slowly burning my pale fingers.

"Are you all right?" John asked quietly, and I was suddenly taken out of my little thinking space, nearly dropping the cup. Tea sloshed down my blue t shirt. It soaked through as I was quickly handed a checked tea towel. The spilled tea was hardly anything to cry about, but I felt an overwhelming sense of despair in the current situation, and I found myself trying not to burst into tears.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, here, wait, let me just..." and he quickly disappeared off into another room in their Tardis of a flat. It looked tiny, yet the volume of things that it contained was enormous. Everything in various shades of brown. I quite liked it, it felt like a home, rather than the Tardis, all rooms with furniture but no meaning. I stared around my surroundings until John returned, and he brought with him a pale blue shirt.

"Here, you can go in the bathroom, I'll put your t shirt in the wash tonight." he smiled apologetically, gesturing to the nearest door. I still thought John Watson was a nice bloke, I don't think that will ever change. I went into the bathroom, closing the door behind me and peering at myself in the mirror. Oh, Amy Pond. You misery guts. At least you're not stuck on an alien planet and you're with sane people. I then glanced into the bath and wondered at my last thought. I didn't know what the hell it was, it looked like rotting fruit. I decided not to ask.

I peeled the sticky blue t shirt off, and pulled on the shirt. The sleeves were much too long, so I rolled them up about my elbows. I wondered who's it was. It wasn't John's, the sleeves were too long even for him. It must have been Sherlock's. I headed back out, and John took my t shirt from me.

"John, why is she wearing my shirt?" he asked, hiding in a corner, it seemed. He was curled up in a chair, reading a book quickly. Sherlock Holmes, possibly this universe's version of Oscar the Grouch.

"Because there was an accident concerning tea." he answered, "And Sherlock, be nice." he added on as an after thought. Sherlock looked up at John from his book, rolling his eyes momentarily. He glanced at me, and I sent an apologetic smile. I had nothing to apologise for, but it would get me on his good side. He reluctantly smiled back before returning to flicking through his book.

"Any ideas yet?" John asked, and flipped open the laptop that was on the desk, and started typing. A cup of tea took up it's seemingly usual place to the right of the laptop accompanied by two jammy dodgers.

"Is that mad man with the police box coming back any time soon?" Sherlock asked, not looking up from his book. I sat next to John at the desk, preferring his company to Sherlock's.
I gave no answer for a few moments. You'll have to tell them some time, Amy.

"He does this some times. He tries to fix things. Some times he doesn't come back for a while." I said quietly, an aching feeling in my throat at the words. He didn't mean to be unreliable, but he was uncontrollably so.

"How long is this 'while'?" he sighed, his deep voice refusing to hide his disapproval.

"The last time, it was twelve years."
♠ ♠ ♠
We see John and Sherlock for the first time at 221B.