What If?

Ruled By Secrecy

"Where are you from?" he questioned, sat at the other side of the desk. This was turning more into an interrogation by the minute.

"Leadworth." I muttered. "Well, not originally but I call it home." I bit into the shiny red apple, he looked up at me at the sound. It annoyed him, I could tell. So I continued.

"Parents?" Sherlock continued, his stare intense and wondering. I stared back, wondering if he'd ever had some one fill the air full of questions and all of them hard to answer.

"They disappeared. Through a crack in my bedroom wall. A crack in time. It's hard to explain, I can't really do it myself. You'd have to ask The Doctor." I curled up in the chair, my knees brought up to my chest as I hugged my legs. Another crunch from the apple. It seemed to unnerve him, which I found odd. Not much unnerved Sherlock, that was a fact.

"How did you get here, through to this 'parallel universe'?" His deep voice was concentrating now, posing the questions more delicately as if in a silent plea to stop me eating the damn apple. It gleamed red as I turned it over in my hand.

"The Tardis. It's a time machine. It also works space. So we can go any where, in any time. It's unreliable, though. It gets things wrong some times. Doesn't come back at the right place or time."

"So you exist in this universe twice?"

"I don't know, google me. Ask Greg to look it up."

He stared at me for a moment, possibly wondering whether to believe me. I was bored with this now, and seeing my mother's face in my mind made me look down at the half eaten apple and suddenly feel sick. I decided to turn the tables now. I was asking the questions.

"Crunching apples. Freaks you out, doesn't it?" I muttered, my voice with an edge to it.

"You seem to have some misplaced dislike of them too." He answered, looking away from my eyes and back down at the desk.

"My mum used to carve smiley faces in them to get me to eat them." I murmured, letting go of very personal information rather quickly here, wondering why it had tumbled out of my mouth, opposite direction to the apple that went in.

"What is The Doctor? Is he from the future?" Sherlock asked, quickly changing the subject, tracing the pattern on the edge of the tea cup in front of him. His eyes didn't meet mine, staring slightly to my left to try and make it look less obvious. Maybe, just maybe, the great Sherlock Holmes had issues too, and well, he didn't seem the type to reveal them. Not to any one, not even John. I returned back to safety and obediently answered questions about the man who'd run away from me.

"He's a nine hundred year old alien part of a race of Time Lords from the planet Gallifrey. He has two hearts, a sonic screwdriver and is fond of bow ties. Is that enough information to be going on with?" I said matter-of-factly, looking up at his stare, he seemed speechless for a moment. The silence stretched out as Sherlock obviously struggled to comprehend it. I felt a little smile appear at the corner of my mouth. I'd stopped him in his tracks.

"Yes, I think so." he finally uttered, and left me to eat my apple as he retreated to his room for the night. I bit into it once more, smiling to myself. Well, that was indeed worth passing up a date with John.