Say Anything

Chapter Eleven

I walked along the darkened streets while kicking what seemed like an invisible rock. I was praying to God I was going the right way towards my house, and I had a feeling I was going to get screamed at by my father when I got home. When my mom died, he supposedly ‘became a completely different person’ according to my Aunt Lydia. I guess before I was born, he was a fun loving guy who could switch into mean army man mode in a split second when he needed to, but when my mother died, he just kept himself in the army mode. It bums me about because I never got the chance to know my mother, and I feel I never got the chance to really know my father either.

Suddenly two lights were blaring at me and I turned around to be blinded by headlights of a car.

“Get in, darling.” I heard Alex roll down his window and say. I just ignored him and kept walking while shivering from the cold. “Do you want to freeze to death?” He asked again. I just ignored him again and continued to walk while he drove slowly to the side of me. “Yo… girl who never talks! Just get in the car! I promised Derek I’d take you home and… apologize, so seriously get in. I know you don’t want to die of hypothermia.” I groaned in defeat and opened the door to his car. Once I sat down I heard him smirk. “I knew you’d get in.” He stated cockily.

“I could just as well get out if you keep it up, ass hole.” I muttered.

“She speaks!” He said incredulously and I just rolled my eyes.

“Please, just take me home.” I said quietly and he scoffed in agreement. He began driving and turned to look at me at a stoplight.

“You’re kind of pretty, you know. In a weird looking way.” He stated.

“Am I supposed to take that as a ‘oh my gosh THE Alex Carson just complimented me!’ compliment?” I asked and turned my attention towards him. He had ‘surfer boy’ dirty blond hair, and was wearing a dark blue sweater.

“Yes, you should. Now stop staring at me.” He said firmly and I twisted my body back to stare out of the window.

“I thought you said that I was ugly.” I muttered and turned the car heater vents towards myself. Alex just shrugged and stared at the street in front of him. I suddenly felt one of his hands rest on my knee and I quickly pushed it off. “What the hell are you doing?” I asked.

“I’ve kind of always had a little thing for you, Baylin Scott.” He said and pulled in front of my house.

How he knew where it was is beyond me.

“Oh please. Like anyone who would ever have a thing for me would write ‘Baylin get out of school, no one wants you here anymore’ on a piece of paper and give it to me.” I stated firmly which made him just smirk and shrug.

“Ever heard of ‘he teases you because likes you’?” He remarked simply.

“Yes, and I believe its shit, just like you.” I replied. which made him raise his eyebrows in entertainment. “Thank you for the ride, goodbye.” I said and opened the door to his car to get out. But before I could, Alex grabbed my arm and pulled my face towards his and kissed me hard, dangerously close to my mouth. “Get the hell off of me!” I said and pushed him off.

“What?” He asked innocently.

“Crawl into a hole and die, Alex.” I replied and did a second attempt to leave, but he grabbed my wrist and spun me around.

“Stay away from Derek.” He remarked firmly.

“You won’t have a problem with that.” I replied irritably.

“Good.” He stated and I tried to leave again but he grabbed my wrist harder, to the point where it hurt a little.

“God, what do you want!” I almost yelled.

“I never said you had to stay away from me.” He remarked and leaned in to try to kiss me again. I raised my hand and slapped him hard in the face.

“Well I’m telling you to stay away from me, jerk.” I remarked and finally made it out of the car and into my house.

-x-

MM,

This has probably been the worst day of my life. I’m not even joking. Like I know I probably sound all melodramatic and lame but I’m serious! Derek chose to be my partner in English class. I’m sure plenty of his friends would have just LOVED to be his partner, but he decided to choose me basically to spite me. I ended up going to his house where I had all my childhood memories. It turned out to be a rocky start. I found a picture of him and his mom. They were both in a hospital and she was lying in a hospital bed, she was smiling weakly while he just stood there with a faint, sad smile on his face. I tried questioning him about it and he flipped out. It was just weird because I had never really seen Derek lose it before; he always gave that ‘I’m too cool for school’ attitude. It just baffled me because that picture honestly looked like he was young enough to just be going into high school, right when we stopped being friends. I’m tried to figure out if that’s anything related, but I decided to keep it as it is. Anyways, we ended up going to the grocery store and we were actually having a good time until the Devil himself showed up. If you haven’t guessed it already, yeah, it was Alex. Of course, he made fun of me, and of course Derek didn’t defend me, like always. So I left, and then Alex picked me up along the way and persuaded me to get in his car to give him a ride home. He tried kissing me. I almost puked. That boy is the most repulsive idiot I have ever met.

Wow, I’m really sorry I sprawled that on you like that. It’s just, I really have no one else to spill my guts to, and since you decided to randomly get to know me, you are the victim to my venting.

Anyways, yes, I want to go to college. I’m really into art, but I’m not sure if I’m good enough to actually be an artist. I also really like science, I know that’s really dumb to say, but I think doing something in Chemistry would be pretty interesting.

I think being an architect would be really cool actually, designing and building houses and all. :]

Ugh, I’ve been trying to read those clues and none of them make sense to me. I mean, I get what you’re saying in all of them, and all of them are actually extremely brilliant, I just don’t know what to do with them. I can’t put the puzzle together.

So maybe you’ll get your wish and remain a mystery after all.

Bay.


I sighed and leaned down on my bed, feeling somewhat relieved that I had been able to get out my feelings somehow, but I still felt weird. Alex is probably the most depraved human being ever, and I can honestly say he’s worse than Derek. He just enjoys getting attention in the stupidest ways. He’s manipulative and all around pretty creepy. I always knew there was something wrong with that kid.

I leaned over and took my bottle of pills off the nightstand. My father still thought my leg was still hurting, and he kept ordering prescriptions for me, which I think is kind of funny because he isn’t the up-most suspicious that I abuse them. But like I said, he doesn’t know anything about me. I took three pills out, smiled and once again lifted them to my mouth and threw my head back. I had gotten so used to these that I could just dry swallow them, and it didn’t make me feel uncomfortable at all.

I leaned back down on my bed, and closed my eyes. Sooner or later, my body felt like it was going numb and was going to melt any second. I took a deep breath and tried my best to configure the hints that MM gave me, but just nothing made sense. I groaned and titled my head to the side, drifting into a deep sleep with MM not far from my dreams.