Say Anything

Chapter Fifteen

I sat at home, just staring at the wall in silence. There was a tiny black speck that I have been eying for the past twenty minutes, and due to the fact that I was staring so attentively, it became more and more blurry.

Yeah, sounds like a fun Saturday afternoon, huh?

I had gotten home yesterday from school, and of course my father got extremely angry with me. He didn’t necessarily need to ground me though, because he knows that I don’t really have any friends to go out on weekends with, so he’d basically be grounding me from nothing. Not that I care or anything. I like sitting at home all by myself…

Note the sarcasm.

It’s just weird though. This whole week, I have had more social encounters that I have had in the past 3 ½ years, and the weirder thing is that I was kind of getting used to it. So now, here I am, sitting alone on a weekend afternoon, with nothing to do and no one to talk to. Which is something I wouldn’t have minded before, but now it was just killing me.

I suddenly heard my doorbell ring and I cocked my head to the side quickly and immediately regretted it when a soaring pain was sent down my neck.

“Oww.” I muttered and held the side of my neck. I then trudged down the stairs while the doorbell rang one more time. “Coming!” I said and flipped open the door. My heart almost leaped into my throat as I saw a baby blue envelope on my doorstep lying on medium sized cardboard box. I immediately picked it up and looked to see absolutely no one around. I stepped out onto my grass lawn and continued to see if any cars were speeding away or any figures were hiding between trees, but there was nothing.

I smiled at the fact that MM was standing in my doorway.

I quickly ran over to my kitchen, sat down at a barstool and immediately ripped open the envelope.

Bay,

I just couldn’t wait until Monday to get a letter from you, nor could I wait until Monday to write you another letter. So I decided I’d just get a head start. Hopefully you don’t mind.

It’s kind of weird how much I look forward to getting your letters, and I hope that’s how you feel about mine. Don’t ask how I know where you live, because I know if you do, I’ll sound like more of a creeper. And I don’t think either of us want that. :]

Here’s a little something for you. I found it earlier today and it reminded me a lot of you.

Love,
MM

Pretending to never want or need is like pretending to be inhuman.


I almost squealed in excitement as I opened the box. I kept throwing out more and more newspaper and laughed at the fact that MM probably stuffed it all in there to build the suspense of retrieving the actual gift.

I finally got to it and grinned like an idiot. It was a stationary box. I opened it up and there a stack of gray lined paper and to the left of it were darker gray envelopes. He remembered my favorite color was gray, and these letters were obviously to be used for me to send to him, like he does to me.

I placed out a piece of paper and placed an envelope by it, walked over to retrieve a pen off of the counter and was just about to open it when the house phone rang. I groaned and hopped off the bar stool to pick it up.

“Hello?” I asked irritably while glancing over at the stationary box that was sitting on the counter.

“Baylin?” I heard a voice on the other line say.

“Yes. Who’s this?” I asked while twirling the phone cord between my fingers.

“It’s Avery.”

“Hey, how’d you get my number?” I replied while leaning over to open the refrigerator for no reason.

“Student directory.” She replied nonchalantly. “I’m going to the mall today, do you want to come?”

“Oh, um, I...”

“Oh shush Baylin, I know you have nothing better to do.” She laughed. I smiled while shutting the refrigerator and then leaned my head back against the wall.

“I’m just not sure if I can.” I replied.

“Why not?” She asked, sounding a little impatient.

“My Dad.” I muttered.

"Come on, I'm sure he won't mind. I’ll even pick you up!” She begged.

“But-“

“I’ll be there in five!” She said. “Oh wait what’s your address?” She asked.

I slumped my shoulders and sighed in defeat. “243 S. Reed Street.” I replied and she immediately yelled ‘Thanks!’ and hung up the phone.

“Dad!” I shouted. I didn’t hear anything as I stepped into the living room. I walked over to his office to see a note hanging on the door of it.

‘Baylin, I’m going to be out with Barbara for the rest of the day and night. I’ll be back tomorrow.’

I sighed but then smiled. This would work out perfectly. I could go hang out with Avery without having my dad find out and flip. He’d be with his girlfriend Barbara anyways. They had been dating on and off for a couple of months, and it seemed to me that she was the first woman my dad has ever been interested in since I was born.

I ran back up the stairs and pulled on a pair of old tennis shoes. I turned to look at myself in the elongated mirror and shrugged at my huge thick sweater, slightly baggy blue jeans and shoes.

I suddenly heard a honk come from my driveway, and I grabbed my purse and headed out of my house to see Avery sitting in her green hybrid.

“Dude, I live like two streets away from you!” She said excitingly while I opened the door to her car. I just laughed at how excited she was as she pulled out of the driveway. “Ready to shop till we drop?” She asked. I just looked at her while she adjusted her glasses with one hand and then pushed her bangs out of her eyes.

“Um, I really wasn’t planning on shopping.” I said quietly.

“Oh come on. We’re going to the mall, you have to get something.” She pleaded. “Just a couple shirts and a pair of pants okay?” She asked. I looked into my wallet and saw that I had more than enough money because I usually don’t spend it on anything, really.

“Alright.” I muttered and heard her squeal.

“Ah! This is going to be so much fun!” She replied and fidgeting anxiously in her seat when we stopped at a red light.

“You are way too perky for your own good.” I said while she laughed a bit.

“And you’re way to pessimistic for your own good.” She remarked. I just shrugged and stared out of the window, until she pressed on the gas, and starting speeding towards the mall.