Say Anything

Chapter Eighteen

“Stop fidgeting.” Avery whispered calmly while our art teacher explained our new art project assignments.

“I can’t stop.” I whispered back.

“Ohh, that’s right, someone is getting a secret love letter from their secret hubby at lunch today, huh?”

“It is not a love letter and he’s not my secret hubby.” I remarked and rested my elbow on my leg to keep it from moving up and down nervously.

“Then what kinds of letters are they and what is he to you?” Avery asked. I was just about to open my mouth to speak when I was interrupted by our art teacher Mr. Witten.

“Anything you two ladies would like to share with the class?” He asked and then actually realized who he was asking. Me. A.K.A. the girl who never talks. So it must have been a big surprise for him that I was talking in the middle of class. Heck, it was even a surprise for me. But I guess people bring out different sides to others, and Avery must have brought out my talkative side, which I didn’t even think I had in the first place. To be honest, I never thought I'd ever have a friend in high school. It just strikes me as odd that I thought people were so repulsive a week ago, and now I actually have a friend that I can confide in. I still need to keep my guard up though. I've been disappointed by people way too many times.

Avery turned her body towards Mr. Witten and grinned fakely.

“Nope.” She replied and placed her hands in her lap.

“Alright then.” He replied and began explaining again.

“So, what are you doing today after school?” Avery asked, obviously not getting any hint that she wasn’t supposed to even be talking to me.

I fidgeted in seat awkwardly. Should I tell her that I might be possibly hanging out with Derek? I mean, I’m nothing she could get jealous of or anything, but she still doesn’t really know that he and I used to be more than acquaintances.

“Just going home.” I lied. “My dad found out about our little escapades at the mall this weekend.” I added pointing at my outfit and hair. “So he got mad at me and grounded me.”

“Dang, I really wanted to go to this cool Mexican place downtown.” She muttered. “Maybe I should ask Derek?”

I tensed up and cleared my throat awkwardly.

“Um-“

“Okay class get started!” Mr. Witten said while clasping his hands together.

“Shit.” I muttered. Thanks to Avery, I have no idea what the hell we’re supposed to be doing.

“Paint something that expresses your true thoughts and aspirations on your own future.” Avery remarked.

“How did you know that?” I asked incredulously. She just laughed and headed over to two canvases in the back of the classroom. I followed her and sighed as I stared at my blank one.

“So should I ask Derek to hang out?” She asked. I closed my eyes, praying she wouldn’t bring him up again.

“Ask him for this weekend. Weekends are easier, and there would probably be a higher chance of him saying yes.” I replied and took out some cheap paint from one of the cupboards.

“Good idea!” Avery said excitedly. “Oh Bee, how I couldn’t live without you.”

“Is that your way of discreetly making a nick name for me? By slipping it into sentences hoping I won’t notice?” I asked and raised an eyebrow.

“Yes. Do you protest?”

“Nope.” I replied and she smiled and turned her back to me to start painting.

-x-

Bay,

Well, I’m really glad you liked the envelopes and letters. Thank God you didn’t think it was corny that I got them in your favorite color. I was a little bit worried about that.

Do you mind if I ask you what you usually do to stop your anxiety? If that’s prying then you can just skip over this and pretend you never read it if you like. I just hope you’re not (or were) doing anything too bad to calm yourself down. And I’m really glad that I’m a replacement.

And yes, I saw you today in the halls. You look beautiful, which is good, yet bad at the same time for me because now I may have some competition. You never know, some other guy could leave some letters in your locker soon, and MM could be thrown out of the window. And I wouldn’t want that because to be honest I kind of have a teensy crush on you if you didn’t notice already.

MM

Sometimes the things you give up so easily are the things that are the most difficult to get back.


-x-

After three more horrible classes, it was finally after school. I had a permanent smile on my face the whole day and even Avery questioned my sudden optimistic attitude. MM has a crush on me. To be honest, it felt great to have someone acknowledge me in that way. I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone interested in me like that before. Well, besides Alex but I won't count him because he's just a teensy bit deranged.

“Hey, Dad, it’s Baylin. Um, Derek invited me over today after school to hang out. Kind of like old times. I’m just calling you to let you know and I promise to call every half an hour I’m there. Call me back if you wish.” I said into my Dad’s voicemail and hung up the phone.

I began to walk back to my locker and felt my sock on my foot begin to sink down. I hopped on one foot, lifted the other one, stuck my hand in my boot to pull the sock up and almost fell over until someone’s arms caught me.

“We should really stop running into each other like this.” I heard Ryan laugh. I regained my composure and looked up at him and smiled.

“Hey.” I replied and signaled for him to walk with me. “What’s up?”

“Hey.” He responded. “Um not much... I was just wondering-“

“Baylin!” We both turned around and saw Derek walking over with one of his hands grasping a text book. “Ready to go?” He asked. He nodded his head towards Ryan and Ryan did the same.

“Yeah, but wait Ryan what were you wondering?” I asked. Ryan just shrugged and placed his hands in his jacket pockets.

“Ah, nevermind it’s not important. See you later.” He said and flashed a small grin to me and walked away. I turned my attention back to Derek who was scratching the back of his head.

“I know that guy from somewhere.” He stated while watching Ryan.

“Hm, maybe you know him because he goes to this school.” I replied and rolled my eyes.

“No, I'm not that stupid, loser.” He replied and clicked his tongue. “I know him from somewhere else. I don't know where though.” He added as I closed my locker and we headed towards the student parking lot. I just shrugged indifferently. Derek probably has Ryan mistaken for someone else.

“Okay.” I said as we got into his car. “Do I get to know the surprise yet?”

“Nope.”