Say Anything

Chapter Two

“Time’s Up!” My Algebra 2 teacher, Mrs. Fowler said. Everyone groaned and dropped their pencils on their unfinished tests. Mrs. Fowler thoroughly enjoyed seeing other students wig out. It was kind of her thing. That’s why she gave us barely any time to take our tests. I always tend to finish on time though.

Mrs. Fowler walked around the classroom, giving students unappreciative looks while picking up their barely completed tests. She then stopped in front of me and I looked down at my desk, avoiding any eye contact with her.

That’s a thing about me. I hate making eye contact with people. Don’t ask me why I hate it, I just do.

“Well, atleast someone studied enough to finish.” She remarked and I sunk down in my seat lower. Why is it today I’m getting way more attention brought onto myself than wanted? The whole class groaned again and I just continued to stare down at my desk. Mrs. Fowler sighed and walked to pick up the rest of the papers.

Suddenly out of nowhere, a crumpled piece of paper ball fell in front of me once again and I widened my eyes mortifyingly. I didn’t want to open it. I know what it is going to say. But of course.... curiosity killed the teenager.

‘Baylin Scott,

Stop trying to show off. It doesn’t impress anybody. Take that ugly blonde head of yours and just get out.’


I sighed, crumpled the paper back up and placed it delicately in front of me, just like I had done with the other one. I heard Alex, Derek and anyone else who are assholes laughing to the left of me.

The thing that bugs me the most about them is that the only reason they do this to me is just because I'm not like every girl who bows down at their feet. I don't enjoy acknowledging their existence. So they basically force me to.

I ignored their snickers, folded my hands in my lap and looked forward.

Once again, I will not show emotion.

They will not win.

-x-

After school was over, I practically bolted to my locker to avoid the mass amount of people that were filing out of their classrooms. Once I reached it, I unlocked it and was just about to stuff my books into it when a small folded letter in a light blue envelope fell out. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion and picked it up slowly. I turned it around and the top read ‘Baylin Scott’. I sighed, knowing that this was probably one of Alex and Derek’s little jokes.

Alex and Derek were probably the most well-known guys in school. But I’m not going to sit here and be like ‘They are the most popular! I wish I was popular!’.

My high school isn’t necessarily that cliché. Yes, there are people that are more known than others, but there wasn’t the head cheerleader and her two little sidekicks walking around tormenting other girls. Yes, there were girls like that. But none were actually molded into the ‘Typical High School Stereotype’ like you see in those lame tween movies.

I leaned my shoulder against the side of my locker and opened the envelope slowly. A small letter on plain lined paper was folded neatly into the envelope. I took it out and read it.

Bay, (I hope you don’t mind me calling you that. It just seems to me that you’re more of a ‘Bay’)

You are probably wondering who would ever decide to write you a letter and secretly stuff it in your locker for you to read. But I guess life is just full of little wonders. I’ve seen you around school, and you are probably one of the most interesting individuals I’ve ever set eyes upon. You intrigue me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you talk to one person. Your whole head must be full of beautiful thoughts that are probably just waiting to be spilled out.

Okay, I know I probably sound like weirdo stalker guy right now, but I hope that you understand that I’m not that. If you think I am, then I’m in trouble.

-Every misconception is a person’s imperfection.-


I stood there; my mouth gaped for a couple of seconds.

Is this a joke?

I looked around me and at other students, who were all minding their own business and talking amongst one another. I suddenly felt a hard nudge on my shoulder and turned around excitingly, hoping it would be this guy, but it was just a student trying to get to their locker that I was blocking.

I quickly put the letter back in its baby blue envelope, stuffed it in my backpack, and walked home, with the letter taking captive of my thoughts.