Say Anything

Chapter Twenty One

I walked into my AP Chemistry class and sat down at my lab table. This class was probably where I was the quietest. There’s absolutely no one I know, or frankly want to know in this class, so as usual I just keep to myself.

“Okay, class, settle down!” My Chem teacher, Mrs. Briggs said to all of us. Everyone stopped talking and sat down at their seats as she pulled on her long white lab coat that she just had to wear every day, even if we weren’t doing experiments. “Alright, I know that you are all in your senior year, and you are all waiting to be accepted into colleges, so that basically means you could care less about your schoolwork at this time in the year. But I personally think you guys should really shape up, most of your grades are slipping. Now due to your percentages, I am going to partner you guys up for the final. No you cannot pick, I shall be picking for you. I’m going to base the partnering on the highest grade in class with the lowest..”

I didn’t have to hear anything else of her rant without already knowing the candidates for my future partner. There was, of course, the dumbest person in the world, Heather Richards, this one stoner guy named Justin Camden, or this one guy that never shows up to class, Logan Wolford. I was praying to either get the stoner or the one who never goes to school. Anything other than Heather.

“Heather Richards and Baylin Scott. Table 4.”

Shit.

I looked up to see Heather whispering to her friends.

“Who’s Baylin Scott?” She asked a random girl. The girl looked over and pointed to me and I let out a small stifling laugh at the fact that she still has no idea who I am, even though I've been formally introduced to her like what, 3 times now?

“Oh!” She replied dumbly and headed over to Table 4. I slowly got up off of my seat and walked over to sit down on the stool by her. “Alright, I know nothing about chemistry, and you’re obviously a genius at it, so how about you do it and I say I helped, cool?” She asked and combed her dirty blonde hair with her fingers.

“Um..” I replied and stared at the different beakers and utensils in front of us. This final was huge and I know I can’t do it all by myself. I continued to stay silent while contemplating how much time this project was going to take.

“Is that supposed to be a no?” She asked and let out a small unbelieving laugh. “Fine, alright. I’ll help. But I’ll probably just make it worse.” She added and picked up a beaker, “What do these do?” She asked.

I almost hit my head on the table because of her stupidity. How? How could someone be in AP Chem and not know what a beaker was?

This is going take a while.

-x-

“I feel so bad for you.” Avery said while sucking on an abnormally large lollipop after school. She randomly decided to walk with me to my locker after meeting up with me in the halls.

“I feel so bad for the dentists that are going to have to deal with your teeth after you finish that.” I replied when we finally got to my locker. “I’m going to fail this final.” I remarked and adjusted my small maroon jacket.

“Aw, turn that frown upside down!” Avery replied fakely and continued to suck on the lollipop, obviously not taking my comment to stride. Just as I was about to retort, I felt a shift of movement by me and I looked to my left to see Alex grinning.

“Holy crap could this day get any worse!” I groaned. He apparently thought I was joking because he slung his arm around my shoulder.

“Hey Lin,” He responded mockingly and I almost cringed at his little nick name. “Hey, Avery, right?” He said to Avery. She nodded and looked at him strangely. “Can I steal Baylin for a bit?” He asked. I widened my eyes and shook my head no but Avery just smiled menacingly.

“Sure, why not?” She replied and shrugged. I wanted to grab her and pull out her hair, but I was intercepted with Alex’s hand on my arm taking me away. I groaned as he led me away to an inside hallway of the school.

“What do you want?” I asked and crossed my arms in front of my chest.

“I want you to go out with me.” He replied cockily.

Wow, two different ask outs in one day. Honestly, it kind of baffles me how this has all happened at once. I was never one to be sought after before. And although it could be somewhat flattering, it just wasn't for me. I never liked attention, and especially in this form. I'd prefer to live in the shadows and not be out in the open like I have been lately. And as much as I'd like to say I wanted a change, I know deep inside I don't and I'm completely and utterly scared of it. Now that I was actually talking to people, my new front was being a bitch. And I doubt that this would be any problem for me if I was talking to Alex Carson.

“No.” I said bluntly and began to walk away but he grabbed my arm. Signature Alex move.

“Why not?” He asked and ran his thumb over my arm.

“Hmm, maybe because I’m not like every other girl and I don’t throw myself at your feet?” I asked and tried to walk away, but his grip remained on my arm. He then leaned in close to me and tried to kiss me, but I quickly turned my head away so he got my cheek instead.

“Why are you so defiant?” He asked.

“Why are you so creepy?” I retorted and I saw him give me a quite evil smile which all together gave evidence to my previous statement.

“This is kind of fun.” He said and stepped closer to me. I quickly ducked down and pulled my arm from his grip.

“Not for me.” I muttered and quickly left the hallway.

-x-

I hastily darted back to my locker only to see Avery standing there talking to Derek. So not only have I gotten asked out twice in one day, but I have seen Derek flirt with two different girls in one day.

I slowly walked towards them and gave out a small cough before they turned around to face me. I saw Derek grin at me and Avery did the same.

“Did you have fun?” Avery asked.

“I hate you.” I muttered and leaned against my locker.

“Why? For letting you go off with one of the hottest guys in school?” She asked.

“Wait, who did she go off with?” Derek asked.

“Sometimes looks don’t make up for everything.” I mumbled to Avery, ignoring Derek's question.

“I just think you have everything against the whole male species.” Avery remarked. “I’ll see you guys later.” She said and then flashed a toothy grin at Derek. “Bye, Derek.” She added and walked away.

“She’s really something.” Derek muttered and leaned against the locker by mine.

“Yes, she’s a riot.” I replied irritably.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

“Nothing, nothing, I’m fine.” I muttered and then opened my locker. A blue letter fell out and my bad mood suddenly completely changed. I grinned and picked it up before stuffing it in my backpack before Derek could see. “Let’s go.”

-x-

“Come on please!”

“No way, this is mine.” I replied to Derek while clutching the last Oreo in my hand defensively. We were sitting in the tree house again and were listening to classic rock while just talking to each other. We both practically wrestled for the last Oreo, and me, being way more awesome, got it.

“My hand totally landed on it first though.” Derek remarked and ruffled his long hair a bit. “You can’t just take something when I had it first!”

I looked at him and smiled before stuffing the whole Oreo in my mouth. I saw him narrow his eyebrows at me and I immediately took the Oreo out of my mouth. “Want it?” I asked mockingly, and he just frowned and gave me a disgusted look.

“You’re gross.”

“You love me.”

“You wish.” He replied and lay his back down on the floor. I immediately followed suit and lay down by him while we stared at the ceiling.

“Derek, where’s your mom?” I asked suddenly. I saw him hold in a couple breaths and then exhale slowly.

“Gone.” He said faintly. I quickly leaned on my side to face him, while resting my elbow on the ground.

“Where?” I asked quietly, not even sure if he heard me.

“Does it really matter?” He asked and leaned over to face me too. He then reached his hand out and brushed part of my bangs away that were hanging in my eyes. “What matters is right now. We’re friends again. I was a complete dick, and you somehow found it in yourself to forgive me. Nothing else matters to me right now.” I quickly blushed, looked into his eyes and knew once again that I shouldn’t push him on the subject of his mom. When it was the right time, he will tell me what happened to her, even though I already have an idea. But I just know that in the right time he will tell me what has been happening to him in the past 3 ½ years. He’ll tell me the real reason as to why he suddenly stopped talking to me. He’ll tell me everything. He will. I know it.

I smiled warmly at him and ruffled his hair a bit with my hand before sitting up.

“You’re right.” I replied. “Let’s go explore the woods, shall we?” I stated while getting up and stepping outside the tree house to head down the ladder. I heard Derek mutter something under his breath but he quickly obliged and headed out with me to run around in the woods just like we used to.