Sequel: This Modern Love

And I Know It's a Wonderful World

1

Katie leaned her head against the van's window as she listened to Zack talk about how he misses home. She smiled as she knew she felt the same way too. This was her summer nights. Staying up in the dead of night and riding shot gun, just to listen to one of four boys talk about whatever the hell they felt like. She was the merch girl for the up and coming band All Time Low. And by merch girl, it really means the one who makes sure they eat normal food and drink water and not just beer. She took care of them. And then she would sit behind a table and sell shirts with the band name across them, with some crazy design on them. Yup this was how all her summers are. She didn't mind. She met amazing people and got to spend time with her friends twenty four seven. She actually got upset when she knew that they only had one week left of driving across country. She envied the boys. They had people across America who wanted to just see them in person, to just hear what they sound like in person. Just to be able to sing their words back to them. She envied them like no other. But sitting next to one of the boys, each summer she realizes what they are giving her. She was also grateful like no other.

"Hey Katie, you can go sleep if you want." Zack must have realized her eyes were fighting to stay open.

"Nah. I always have trouble sleeping in a sitting position." She sat up, yawned, and stretched her arms above her head.

"I'm sure someone will let you lay on them." She looked back at the boys and laughed as she saw the way Rian was laying.

"I think I'll pass on that one."

Zack took a quick glance back and laughed too.

"Ahh, these highways are always so long and empty. I mean wouldn't it suck if some murderer was on the side of the road and wanted to kill us?" He looked at her with a questioning glance. She gave the same one to him.

"One, are you turning into Jack? And two, I think I'm going to bed because you scared the crap out of me." She said glancing out her window and shivering. As if on cue the alarm went off. Katie let out a yelp and all the boys jumped up on also on cue.

"What the fuck is going on?" Rian shouted laying on the van's floor. Zack being the only one knowing why Katie yelled took it upon himself to tell the story. Katie still shaking wrapped her arms around her body.

"She got scared and then the alarm went off which scared her more. And, Jack it's your turn to drive. Ohh and I call jack's spot."

Katie shot Zack a dirty look.

"Aahh, Katie you're not staying up with me?" Jack said making his way up front as Zack was pulling over.

"Next time. I swear. I'm really tired."

"And scared." Alex thew in there.

"You can sleep on my seat if you want." Alex afford smiling. She shook her head. She couldn't. She looked at Zack.

"You owe me." She said pointing to him.

"Aahh shit. Fine but I'm on top." He laughed as she and him both opened their doors to get in the back.

Rian had already gone back to sleep and Alex was on his stomach staring at the seat in front of him. When he heard Katie giggle and whispering to Zack to stop, he squeezed his eyes shut. Soon enough the giggling had stopped and all you could hear was the hum of the car and Jack swearing softly to himself every now and then. Alex stayed awake the rest of the night trying to come up with ideas on why she would choose Zack over him. But little did he know, Katie was right behind him laying on top of Zack and wishing that she had the courage to be so close to Alex without letting her emotions get the best of her. Neither Alex, Katie or Jack got any sleep the rest of the night. And that meant one thing. Sleeping on the job.

As Jack drove around looking for food, he fought hard to keep his eyes open and no kill everyone in the car. Rian and Zack were fighting over Ihop or Denny's. Katie had moved up into Alex's seat and tried to find a position to rest her head comfortably.
"Okay someone choose or no breakfast." Jack shouted getting frustrated with the two boys.

"Go to Denny's, please, Jack." Katie said with her eyes closed.

"Okay. Thank you, Katie." Jack said looking in the rear view mirror. Zack wiped his head around and glared and Katie.

"How could you!? Denny's? Your traitor." He said pointing at her and then turning around.

"She just likes me better." Rian said leaning in towards Zack.

"Shut up! No she doesn't!" He shouted.

Katie finally gave up on trying to close her eyes. She looked ahead but turned to her left and saw Alex smiling at her.

"Tired?" He asked.

"I got no sleep last night."

"Too scared?" He asked with raised eyebrows. In any other cases she would have defended her pride but she didn't want Alex to know why she was up all night.

"Yeah. Scared." She looked out the window and saw that they were in the parking lot of Denny's.

"I should refuse to eat." Zack sat with his arms crossed, and pouting.

"Stop being a baby and get out." Katie said pushing Zack's head forward.

"Oohh so no longer sleeping bench buddy." He said glaring at her while he exited the van. She smiled and Alex's insides did a flip flop.

Sitting down in one of the round corner booths, Katie was put between Rian and Alex. With Zack shooting her glares of disapproval.

"Katie will you pass the salt?" Rian asked sweetly staring at Zack.

"Sure. But why do you need it we didn't even order our food?"

"Rian just because she hands you the salt doesn't mean she likes you better." Zack said.

"Guess can we please stop. I like you all the same." Boy what a lie.

Alex looked over at her to see her smiling and shaking her head and Rian and Zack. She doesn't have feelings for anyone.

"JackJack, you alright?" All their eyes went on Jack when they saw he was sleeping.

Laughs went on throughout the booth. Soon the food was ordered and everyone was eating. Katie's stomach was flipping because every now and then Alex's leg would touch hers and her heart would beat so loud she was sure that he could hear. She had trouble eating that morning.

"Come on guys we need to keep driving if we want to make it on time and still be able to each lunch." Rian said looking at the bill and scooting out of the booth.

"Ohh, Rian thank you so much for driving for me. You're such a Sweetie." Katie said handing him the keys.

"But I never said I would drive!" He handed the keys back. The rest of the boys were already in the van.

"Ohh come on Rian I thought you were my favorite."

"But I thought-"

"I just didn't want to make Zack cry." She smiled as Rian took the keys out of her hands.

But a frowned when she saw that the boys took all the seats. She started making her way to Zack.

"Okay, just so everyone knows, I'm Katie's favorite. But don't cry Zack." She had to laugh.

"Oh don't think you're laying with me if you choose Rian." Katie went into panicked.

She couldn't sleep with Jack his girlfriend was one of her good friends. Alex figured she would just sit up front considering she seemed to never share a bench with him.

"Alex?" He heard Katie almost whisper.

His eyes shot open and he couldn't believe what was happening. She raised her eyebrows as if asking for permission. He pulled his hands out from behind his head and raised the up. She was careful crawling over to him not to make a wrong move. Soon she was laying her head on his chest and his arms were wrapped around her body. She wrapped her own around his neck and closed her eyes and prayed that he couldn't feel her heart beat so fast. Alex was fight the urge to play with her brown hair and kiss her. Every time he thought she was asleep she would let out a sigh and move her fingers, and they would brush up against the back of his neck. Sending chills down his spine. But soon enough the restless pair was asleep. Even if they both somehow came over their fear and tell each other, their would always be one thing standing in their way. Katie's boyfriend, Daniel. And they just so happen to be stopping at Maryland next. Both Katie and Alex dreaded going home this time.