‹ Prequel: Sherlock's Girl

The New Generation

Life goes on...

Sapphire sat on the sofa in 221b, feet up, it was early evening and for once her head was not stuck in a book, she was drawing instead. John was out and Sherlock was busy in the kitchen, dissecting eyeballs and putting tongues in the oven as far as Sapphire was aware. Sapphire had been living with Sherlock and John for nearly a year, so was used to Sherlock's strange ways. In some cases she reacted better than John, who had lived with Sherlock for a couple of years now.
John came through the door carrying shopping. Sapphire looked up at him, "If you had told me you were going shopping, I would have come." Sapphire commented.
John just smiled at her, as struggled with the bags, "Oh it’s alright, and you were busy."
Sapphire sighed, she hadn't been doing anything. Even though it had been months since the incident with Moriarty, Sapphire was barely let out of Sherlock's sight, the only freedom she got was school.
But Sapphire found that boring. Everyone was too slow there. The tests were far too easy. She liked it when Sherlock let her help on a case. But that was a rarity; he didn’t let her help with mass murders or even the single murders sometimes. So Sapphire resorted to keeping herself busy, she didn't want to end up like Sherlock, shooting the poor wall every time she was bored. So she had started teaching herself French, German, and Welsh.
Also while Sherlock was out she had been teaching herself to play the violin. She liked drawing on occasion, right now she was drawing a portrait of Sherlock, but she had no idea why. John came up behind Sapphire, after managing to get all the bags into the kitchen.
"What are you doing?” He enquired. John always seemed a lot more interested in what Sapphire was doing, more than Sherlock who was her legally her adopted father, but that was just Sherlock. John saw the drawing, "Bloody hell Saff, that's amazing?"
"Saff" was John's personal nickname for Sapphire, she didn't mind it, and she thought it suited her quirky personality. Sherlock hated the nickname, he said it was wrong to shorten her name, and according to him it sounded a lot like a plant that could be used as a drug. John and Sapphire didn't understand how he came to that conclusion. So they left it.
Sherlock had heard John, "What's amazing John?"
John went to answer but Sapphire just shook her head. "Oh, nothing Sherlock."
Sherlock looker at the pair and then went back to his investigation. John crouched down to Sapphire, "Why? Why do you not want him to see?" John asked.
Sapphire just smiled "Because it is not finished yet." Sapphire smirked.
John looked at her laughed, stood back up and went to turn the telly on. It was Sunday evening so, like always there was nothing on. But John always found some rubbish TV programme.
Luckily as John flicked through the channels, the electricity cut out. "Power cut." John declared.
“Well done John, I am glad you cleared that up, seeing as it is pitch black and we can’t see a thing.” Sherlock said, in a very sarcastic tone. Sherlock rummaged in through the kitchen drawers in the dark, until he found what he was looking for, candles.
Sherlock lit the first one, and turned around to see how the two in the living room were. He jumped as he was confronted with Sapphire who had been sitting on the sofa only moments ago. In the candle light Sapphire smiled, “Can I have one please?” she asked. Sherlock lit a second candle and gave it to her. Sapphire took the candle then skipped off back to the sofa.
When she sat back down she spoke again, “Shouldn’t someone go and check on Mrs Hudson?” She asked, as she started drawing again. Sherlock and John looked at each other, before rushing down the stairs. They returned 3 minutes later. John headed to the kitchen to get everyone drinks, it would have to be juice because the kettle wouldn’t work while the electricity.
The four of them sat there quietly, Sherlock, John and Mrs Hudson holding glasses of juice, while Sapphire carried on drawing.
At about 10pm Sherlock picked up his violin and started playing a very relaxing tune, Sapphire slowly fell asleep with the sound of the music. Sherlock finished the melody, put down his violin and looked at Sapphire who was fast asleep. He took away her pencils and paper.
While doing this he caught a glimpse of her drawing. He turned the paper right around, and saw himself working over his microscope. Sherlock smiled to himself. Then he blew out Sapphire's candle, before heading down stairs to 221c to get Sapphire's duvet.
Although Sherlock had renovated the downstairs flat, Sapphire hardly ever slept down there. He placed her duvet over the sleeping figure, before kissing her for head and muttering, "Goodnight." In her sleep Sapphire smiled.