‹ Prequel: Sherlock's Girl

The New Generation

The guilty hide in plain sight

As Sherlock was leaving the school, he was met by a girl, entering the school. “Hello Sir. May I ask why you have been in our school?” she chirped.
Sherlock was annoyed; he didn't want to talk to the child. He hated them, they asked too many questions, but then again so did a lot of adults. Sapphire was the only child he could stand, and this girl seemed younger, probably aged between 12 and 13, making her more annoying. So he decided be as blunt as possible.
“Dead supply teacher.” He went to walk off but was stopped by the girl.
“Oh dear, that is terrible! Who found the body? Are you a police officer then?” She asked, her voice kept breaking from the shock of the news.
“No, I am not quite a police officer. My daughter, Sapphire found the body. If you don’t mind I must get going!” Sherlock rushed his words wanting to leave the child.
“Oh no, I know her! I am her friend Lydia Moran. May I ask your address so I can go see how she is coping after school?” Lydia said.
Sherlock sighed, he really wanted to hurry up and follow the lead that he had. “221b Baker Street. Now please! I really need to go!” Sherlock said before running off, leaving Lydia standing there.
If only Sherlock had listened, and not been in such a rush, he would have noticed the lie. Lydia said she was Sapphire’s friend. The problem with that is Sapphire doesn’t have school friends; Sherlock knew this but was too in much of a rush to notice.
****
Sapphire and John entered 221. They got back after taking a long stroll home. Sapphire went straight down to 221c; she went straight to her room and laid on her bed. She needed to sleep, but she also needed to think. So she decided, first of all she would sleep and then she would think.
While Sapphire slept downstairs john went up to 221b and switched on the telly. It felt strange to be home at this time of day. He would normally still be in work for the next 3 hours. With the TV droning on, John drifted off into a deep sleep. The house was silent for the next couple of hours, except from the occasional snore from John.
At 3:30 the doorbell rung, John was jolted awake with the sound. He glanced at the clock, for a moment he thought it would be Sapphire, returning home from school. Then as his mind cleared, he remembered, Sapphire was down stairs asleep after a hectic and eventful morning.
John was Confused about who would be knocking the door. When he was halfway down the stairs, the doorbell rang again.
"Alright, alright I am coming!" John shouted, waddling sleepily down the stairs. Due the impatience of the person behind the door, John thought it could have been Sherlock, but Sherlock had a key, so he couldn't be the one stood behind the door.
When John opened the door, he was shocked to see a teenage girl, probably at least 3 years younger than Sapphire.
"Hello Sir. I am Lydia Moran; I go to Sapphire's school. I was asked by the office staff to check on Sapphire, as I live not far from her. They don't want her to go to school tomorrow, as they think it would be best for her to rest." Lydia said with a chirpy voice.
John stood there staring at Lydia for a moment. A frown formed across her face, "Sapphire Doyle does live here, doesn't she?" she asked, she seemed worried that she had knocked at the wrong door.
John snapped out of it, "Yes, she does, I am sorry. It has been a, let's say, eventful day. Please do come in." John stood to one side and let Lydia through the door.
Lydia stood in the hallway while John shut the front door. "Right, Sapphire is downstairs, in her room, she maybe still asleep, I'll go and check." John said as he turned towards 221c.
Lydia grabbed his arm, "Oh, no. Please allow me to go. I am sure I will be fine." John stood back, slightly confused at the girl's reaction.
"Umm, okay. Sure go ahead." John said pointing to the door. He stood back, letting her pass.
Lydia smiled and then headed towards the door. John watched her go through the door, before heading back up the stairs.
As soon as Lydia had entered the flat something about her changed. Her personality seemed to shift, from the sweet, innocent and well-spoken 13 year old, into something much darker.
In the living room of the flat, she stopped and listened for movement. While she waited for a sound to tell her where Sapphire was, Lydia picked up an apple from the basket on the coffee table in the middle of the room. She looked at the apple before she started playing with it in her hands.
A sudden sound came from one of the rooms to the left, Lydia headed towards the sound, placing the apple back in the basket. Lydia could hear Sapphire turning and murmuring in her sleep. Lydia headed towards the room.
She found the door, which had the sounds coming from behind it. She stopped outside the door. Lydia went to grab the door handle, but from behind the door she heard Sapphire turning in her sleep.
Lydia stood still for a minute outside the door. When the noise subsided behind the door, she turned the door handle. Slowly opening the door, she stepped carefully on the floor, trying not to make any of the floor boards squeak. She stepped forward, as she opened the door. Not far from the door, stood a double bed. Sapphire laid on top of the bed, full clothed, lying on top of the duvets.
It was obvious that she had come straight in and passed out on the bed from exhaustion. Lydia slowly walked in the room. Gently, she shut the door again. Lydia approached the bed; she stood at the side gazing at Sapphire. Lydia’s expression seemed to be full of hatred. Sapphire stirred in her sleep.
Lydia tensed. Evil thoughts rand through her head, she reached to the back pocket on her school trousers. She slowly pulled out a small pocket knife. She flicked it open with one hand, and then slowly raised it behind her back. The tip of the blade touched her spine, her hand did not tremble, her hand was steady, and it felt nice for her to be standing where she was, holding a blade.
Just as she was about to pull her blade from behind her, when Sapphire eyes flickered open. She sat up immediately, “Who the hell are you?” She demanded, scared about the stranger who was standing over her bed.
Lydia's grip on the blade tightened. A smile formed on her face. “Oh, hello. I am extremely sorry to wake you. I must have given you a fright, I am sorry when I think my facial expression goes funny. I have been told it is quite scary. But I was pondering whether or not I should wake you. You see I am Lydia Moran and I go to the same school as yourself. And I was asked by the school office to check in on you, as I pass your house on my way home. So they wanted me to see how you were and then report back to them in the morning."
Sapphire was still confused about who this girl was. She hadn’t seen her around the school grounds or even heard her name. But somehow the girl's face seemed familiar. The thought pondered and the back of her head. "I am sorry but I still don’t know who you are. And it still is doesn’t explain how you got into my room." Sapphire said, she had crossed her arms, trying to make herself seem as authoritive as possible, it was her flat after all.
"Ummm a man let me it, blonde hair, about your height, wearing a woolly jumper, despite it being at least 30 degrees outside. Well he let me and said to go straight downstairs to find you." Lydia said, looking quite embarrassed with her.
Sapphire felt bad, she had upset the small girl. "Don’t worry, it is okay. I was just wondering. Don’t feel ashamed. I have just had a long and eventful day." Sapphire sighed.
"Ahh, yes I heard bits and pieces about that." Lydia said staring at the floor. Despite seeming innocent, Lydia’s brain was focused on the blade concealed behind her back; the brain was buzzing trying to figure how she would hide it without sapphire noticing. Sapphire noticed Lydia’s tension.
"Well thanks, for stopping by. Is there anything else you needed?" Sapphire asked. "No it is fine, I only needed to know if you were okay, so I can tell the office tomorrow morning." Lydia said. She had managed to fold the blade back, so that it was a lot smaller, and it also made it easier to conceal when she needed to hide it.
Sapphire got off the bed and started towards the door. As soon as she had passed Lydia, Lydia started panicking as a she tried to shove the blade in her pocket. Sapphire turned to see if Lydia was following, just as Lydia managed to get the blade into her pocket.
Sapphire gave her a funny look. Lydia just smiled and followed sapphire. Sapphire lead her back through the living room, and up the stairs. Just before Lydia was about to go out the front door she stopped.
"I will give you my number just in case. Here." Lydia said as she pulled a scrap of paper out of her bag and scribbled a number on to it, “You know what I will leave my address as well, in case you want to come round and talk." Lydia said, once again frantically scribbling words onto the paper. Once she had finished she folded the piece of paper twice and then handed it to sapphire.
Sapphire stared at the piece of paper, "Umm yeah sure, thanks" sapphire said, not caring if her words didn't make sense. Walking down the street Lydia waved once more, before turning.
Sapphire shut the door to 221 as Lydia's face grew dark, "I had her and she slipped through my fingers." She muttered as she headed home. In the flat Sapphire was aware of Lydia's hatred towards her, it was obvious from the tension and the way Lydia looked at her. But she was completely clueless why she held this hate against her. Sapphire was determined to find out.