Sequel: Shattered
Status: Complete

A Night to Last a Lifetime

Chapter 6: Part 2

A few days had passed and Tori was finally home from the hospital. She still seemed very tired, often taking a couple of naps a day. I figured it was time to tell both her and Jeff. Gabe agreed, he texted up Jeff and told him that he was coming over to visit his apartment. This gave Tori and I some alone time, both boys were out and both of our parents were at work. I didn’t really know how to approach the topic so I just walked into her room and told her.

She was beyond excited, she even mentioned that helping planning for the wedding would distract her, which I never really thought of before but it made sense. We just sat there and talked for a while, she wanted to know all of the details, so of course I told her, leaving out nothing.

Eventually Gabe made it back and we decided that it was time to tell my Dad. We walked out into the kitchen where both of my parents were standing trying to decide what to make for supper. “Can we talk to you guys for a second?” I asked trying not to interrupt the intense debate over chicken or pork.

“Sure honey, what’s up?” Dad said with a confused look on his face.

“Well, Mom has already figured it out. I wanted to tell you earlier but with everything going on with Tori I thought maybe it should wait.”

“Oh sweet Jesus, please don’t tell me you are pregnant,” he interrupted me.

“No dad, I’m not pregnant. We are getting married!”

“It’s about time you popped the question!” Dad said, overjoyed as he shook Gabe’s hand. “I’ve been expecting you to call home anytime over the past year and tell us you were engaged.”

I was so relieved that my parents were as excited as I was. I figured we would be getting a speech saying that we were too young and that we didn’t know what we were getting ourselves into, which would have been frustrating considering we are practically married now – we live together and have been dating for a very long time.

Gabe and I decided that we would go out for supper to celebrate our engagement because we hadn’t had time the past few days. It was still early in the afternoon, so we decided to do a little bit of shopping. We were still in desperate need of clothes.

We pranced up and down the mall, buying way more than we needed because we both had a weakness for clothes and loved to look our best.

We arrived back home late afternoon. I went down and used Tori’s room and bathroom to get ready. I didn’t want Gabe to see me until we were ready to go. When I went into her room she was getting ready too.

“Where are you going?” I asked her, surprised she was feeling up to going out.

“Jeff asked me to go out to dinner with him and then over to his place to watch movies. Don’t get the wrong impression! We need each other now, we just lost our child, it’s not like we will be hopping right back into bed together to make another.”

“Okay Tori. I would never judge you if you did, but I’m glad you realize what’s in your best interest right now.”

“I love you Soph. You always know just what to say. Now, help me fix my hair. I might not be sleeping with him but I would like to look half presentable tonight.”

We sat there doing each other’s hair and makeup for the next little while until eventually someone was knocking on Tori’s door. It was Gabe.

“Sophie, are you almost ready? We are going to miss our reservation.” I opened the door before he could finish his sentence. “Wow!” he exclaimed. I wasn’t wearing a tight little red dress or even a black one for that matter, just a simple pair of dark skinny jeans, with a fuchsia flowy top that I picked up earlier that day.

“I’m ready,” I said as I grabbed his hand.

“How about we skip supper and take this upstairs?” he said devilishly.

“No! I’m hungry and I worked hard to look like this. Maybe later, if you’re lucky…” I said as I winked at him. We were headed for the door and I almost forgot to say goodbye to Tori.

“Have fun tonight Tor! Call me if you need anything.”

We walked out and got into Mom’s car. Mom and Dad both were staying in tonight and because Tori, Gabe and I were all going out they decided neither chicken nor pork but ordered in a pizza. Typical, I thought.

“Where is Tori going?” Gabe asked as we began to drive off.

“Her and Jeff are going to supper together then going back to watch movies at his place. Same as our plans except I don’t think many movies will be watched tonight,” I said as I was grinning at him. It took him a minute before he understood what I was implying but all of a sudden a smile came across his face. He was very concerned about Jeff and Tori though. “I just hope they don’t feel like they need to see each other and be together because of what happened. I don’t want to see them build a relationship on guilt.”
I completely understood where he was coming from and I was secretly hoping the same thing. “I guess we are just going to have to wait and see. It’s not really any of our business, anyway. Like, I get that we look out for them because let’s face it, neither of them are very mature, but they are old enough to make their own decisions.”

We ended up at an Italian place, typical place for an athlete. The waitress greeted us, we told her we had a reservation under Landeskog and she immediately began to freak out. “Here’s an autograph, we can get a picture later if you promise to keep the fans away from where we are sitting,” Gabe said trying not to act annoyed.

She escorted us to a small little booth, where we were basically invisible to the rest of the restaurant which we liked. We ate our meal undisturbed, and went to exit the restaurant, pausing a quick moment to get a promised picture with the waitress before we continued on our way.

We didn’t really want to stay out any longer so we headed back home. Mom and Dad were in their bedroom watching TV. I said a quick hello to them as we proceeded up to my bedroom.

The second we got in my room Gabe went in for a kiss, which I went along with. We eventually made our way to my bed, which he tossed me upon. We continued to make out.

“Let’s wait until we are married,” I said half laughing.

“No way!” he said as he began to strip me of my clothes.

“My parents are downstairs, you better be fucking quiet.”

We continued on, after it was all done I decided it was no different than we were just simply dating. I didn’t really have expectations for it to be any different but, then again, I kind of did. I had a quick panic attack when I realized that I made a commitment to marry him, which means he will be the only guy I will ever sleep with in the future and has been my only in the past. The panic attack didn’t last long because I suddenly realized that I am and always will be madly in love with him. He was honestly the greatest thing that had ever happened to me.

We just laid there and cuddled for a long time, talking about our future, how I want to be a marketing specialist, and him obviously playing in the NHL.

We were kind of waiting for a text from either Jeff or Tori to see how their night was going but obviously they must have been doing okay.

We eventually fell asleep, and for the next 14 hours we slept like rocks.

We woke up at 1 in the afternoon. I went downstairs to start our breakfast or possibly lunch when Tori walked through the door, wearing the same outfit I seen her in the previous day.

“Rough night?” I asked, laughing because she looked like shit.

“If you call sleeping rough, then yes.”

“You guys didn’t even kiss?” I asked, feeling like I was trying to get details out of a young child.

“Nope! Strictly movies, cuddling and sleeping,” she said proudly.

“Well, that’s cute,” I responded sarcastically. “In case you care, I got laid last night.”

“That’s great,” she said rolling her eyes. “I don’t see how that’s a big deal, you do every other day anyways.”

“Just thought I would share,” I said, kind of feeling like an asshole. Oh well she was my sister she needed to take some shit from me anyways. “Now, what are you making me for breakfast?”

“Want to just go out?”

“Sounds perfect, mind if Gabe comes?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

“Nope, but we are leaving in five.”

“Gabe! Come on we are going out to eat breakfast.”

It wasn’t two minutes later and Gabe was making his way down the stairs. We had to walk because our parents had both vehicles. We texted Jeff to meet us there and just as we were about to go sit down a reporter stopped us dead in our tracks. He took a bunch of pictures in a matter of seconds and then proceeded to look at Tori and Jeff. The words that came out of his mouth were unbelievable.

“I realize losing a baby is a big deal, but what are your plans for the future? Are you going to try again, or was the last one just an accident?”