Sequel: Shattered
Status: Complete

A Night to Last a Lifetime

Chapter 8: Part 2

I slept way longer that I should have, I woke up to an empty room and a note from Gabe:

Hey sleepy head, had to visit Jeff then going for a run, and probably will go to the gym for a few hours. See you later beautiful
-Gabe xox

“Oh my God,” I thought to myself, “could he be any cuter?” Just then Tori walked into my room and sat down, she looked at me with the look that she was about to tell me something. I had known her my whole life; it was very easy to read her. When she told me that she was starting to fall for Jeff I wasn’t surprised in the least. I could tell that they were becoming very close; I mean, bonding over the loss of a baby is a big deal, and they were finding closure in each other.

“Tor, you need to be careful. I don’t want you falling for him out of guilt,” I said carefully, knowing that I was dealing with a touchy subject.

“I know, I’ve thought about that so much. I’m so scared that I’m falling for him only because he’s there, you know? But we kissed last night and it felt so right. It’s like I’m supposed to be with him,” she said timidly.

“I understand what you’re feeling. Just promise me one thing – you will be very careful.”

“I will, I promise.”

We sat there and talked for a while about nothing too important. I told her that Gabe and I planned on heading back over to Sweden for a couple of weeks before coming back home to plan the wedding.

“How soon are you going?” she asked.

“We were thinking about leaving in a couple of days, if that is fine by you. I’ll stay here for as long as you need me,” I said.

“No, go now. I will be fine. Nothing any worse can happen right?”

We both laughed, and laid and watched TV for a while. We heard Gabe come through the front door and we hollered to him telling him we were in my room. He came up saying that Jeff was doing fine and he was just going to lie around his apartment all day.

“Oh shit,” Tori said, grabbing her phone. “I told him we could watch movies all day! I better go shower.”

She got up off my bed and headed downstairs to her room.

“I need to shower too…” said Gabe.

“Mind if I join?” I asked, mischievously.

We took a long hot shower together, got out, dried off and got ready. We had no plans for the day so we decided we would go to the mall. We later found out that going to the mall wasn’t such a good idea because everyone knew that Jeff and Gabriel were in town, so it didn’t take the fan girls long to recognize who he was.

Many girls wanted pictures of him and autographs; I was starting to get annoyed when about the thirtieth girl told him he was beautiful. Didn’t these girls understand that he was with me; he was mine, and only mine.

Just then the unthinkable happened – one of the crazy fan girls noticed the ring on my finger. She took at least three pictures before I realized what she was doing; I quickly shoved my hand in my pockets and told Gabe that we needed to get out of there.

We drove back home without buying a thing; as soon as we got there Gabe called the rep for the Avalanche. He told Gabe that there was really no need to hold a press conference, just release an online statement through a blog or Twitter.

We thought that was a perfect idea. Gabe had hundreds of thousands of followers on Twitter so it wouldn’t take long for the word to get out, and for it to be coming from him was a big deal.

“Hey Tweeps, just wanted to let you know it is true I’m marrying the love of my life.”

He accompanied that tweet with a picture of us, him kissing my cheek to show how in love we are.

He got so many stupid replies, asking him why he wasn’t marrying them, blah, blah, blah.
We spent the rest of our day lounging around my house, watching stupid stuff on the TV and playing games on the computer. We booked our tickets and we were flying out mid-afternoon the next day to head back to Sweden. I could tell that Gabe was really excited because we really didn’t get to spend a lot of time with his family when we were there, and our visit was cut short. The rest of the day flew by and before we knew it we were headed threw security and boarding our plane.

We couldn’t get first class tickets because we booked so late, so we had to sit in crowded economy section. Somebody recognized us and it wasn’t long before everybody was taking pictures and being all friendly to us. The flight crew asked everyone several times to respect our privacy.

We eventually fell asleep and before we knew it we were back in Sweden. We rented a car and drove to his parent’s house. To our surprise everybody was home, plus all of his extended family. Somehow, they had gotten wind that we were coming back and decided to throw us a pre-wedding party.

His whole family was beyond excited about our engagement. I was so relieved that they were so welcoming. We walked around and talked to everyone – a lot of them I had never met – and I was so thrilled to be a part of this amazing family.