Sequel: Shattered
Status: Complete

A Night to Last a Lifetime

Chapter 1: Part 2

The second she told me she was pregnant I knew I had to go to Florida; I got up out of bed and threw on some sweats and one of Gabe’s hoodies. I began to toss a couple of outfits into a duffel bag as I continued to talk to Tori.

“It’ll be okay Tor. I’ll take the next flight. I’ll take a cab to your place. I’m leaving my apartment now. I’ll call Gabe on the way and let him know that I will be gone for a while.”

“Just please don’t tell him yet.” Tori said and I could tell that she has been crying.

“I won’t,” I promised as I hung up the phone and climbed into the cab that sat outside.

“To the airport,” I said to the cab driver as I went down through my contacts looking for Gabriel’s number in my phone. Gabe often stayed late at the rink shooting around pucks or working out in the gym. I was just hoping that he was on his way home or getting changed so he would answer his cell.

“Hey cutie,” he said as he answered the phone. “I’m almost home. Do we have any milk? I really want some cereal right now.”

“Yeah there’s some in the fridge. Listen Gabe, something is going on with Tori and she needs me right now. I’m on my way to the airport.”

“Oh my God! Is she alright? Was she in an accident?”

“I’m not sure. I don’t really know the details. I’ll text you the times of my flights and I’ll call you the second I land in Tampa.”

“Okay! I love you Soph.”

“Love you too.” I said as I hung up the phone.

I walked in the airport and up to the desk and asked the lady when the next flight for Tampa left. She told me that a flight for Miami was leaving in 30 minutes and I could absolutely make that one. I would have a two-hour lay over there and then a direct flight to Tampa.

“Perfect!” I said as I handed her my credit card.

After she handed me my ticket I ran to security. I packed light because Tori and I were both the same size – well for now anyways – so I could just wear some of her clothes. I breezed through security and when I found my gate my plane was boarding.

I tried to sleep on the plane because I knew I wouldn’t be getting much sleep the next day but there were too many thoughts running through my head. I landed in Miami and I knew I had a while to wait so I whipped out my laptop and checked my e-mails. Junk, junk, junk oh, and one from Gabe. I opened it up.

“Hey babe! I know you’re flying right now but I just wanted to remind you that I will always be here for you and whatever is going on with Tori I’m here for her to. She’s just as much family to me as you are. I love you Sophie. Call me when you get a chance.”

This lightened my mood; I called him and told him that I had arrived in Miami and for him to call me after his game tonight.

I boarded my plane, landed in a Tampa, quickly grabbed a cab and took it to Tori’s. I let myself in because I knew it would be unlocked. I went into her living room and she was asleep on the couch. I went over and shook her gently until she woke up.

“Oh, thank god you’re here. I don’t know what I’m going to do, Soph. I don’t know how to tell Mom and Dad. Fuck, I don’t even know how to get ahold of Jeff.”

“Calm down, we’re going to start from the beginning.”

Tori nodded her head in agreement. She looked like shit, and I felt so bad for her.

“First of all, why the fuck didn’t you use a condom?” I spat out to her, in a bitchier tone than was meant to be.

“I don’t know Sophie,” she whispered as a tear ran down her face. “We didn’t have one and we were wrapped up in the moment. Hell, you and Gabe never use one! What’s the difference?”

“What’s the difference?!” I looked at her in shock. “The difference is I’m not pregnant! The difference is we have been together for three years, our relationship is stable, we are finically set, we’ve talked about what would happen and nothing would really change. It would be no big deal if I got pregnant! It’s almost like people are expecting me to get married and have babies anytime! I’m sorry that it sounds so harsh, but it’s the truth Tor.”

“I know,” she began to cry harder. I moved over on the couch and held her as she cried.

“It’s going to be alright. I’m here for you Tori, I always will be. Don’t forget that.”

She finally began to stop after ten minutes and I told her that she should go shower. While she did I began to clean the place up a little bit. She came out with sweats on and her hair in a bun and she didn’t look much better than before. I figured that was alright considering the news she just got.

“Come on, Tor. We are going to find you a doctor.”

“I can’t afford a doctor!” she quickly said. “Health care isn’t free down here remember?!”

“I have a credit card, a job and a boyfriend who plays in the NHL. I can afford to take my twin sister to a doctor.”

“No, I’m not using you like that.”

“Shut the fuck up Tor. We are going to a doctor. You need to swallow your pride and think about that baby. I told Gabe that you needed me out here and he e-mailed me saying he is just as much there for you as I am.”

“Fine,” she finally said. “Let’s go.”

We got to the doctor and had to wait close to two hours. When we finally got in he asked her a bunch of questions. “How far along do you think you are?” “Is there only one possible father?” “I know you are young, does the father know?”

Before she even got a chance to answer that last question I spat out, “We are working on that one.”

The doctor continued to explain how important it is for the father to know and how we need to work together and how having a baby isn’t easy.

“I’ve got it handled, okay?’ I said to him rather snappy. “Is her baby healthy?”

“Yes it’s fine. You’re due in about 7 months from now. We will have another check up in a month but if any issues arise from now until then feel free to call my office.”

“Thank you,” we both said as we were leaving the office. We got back in her car and drove back to her place. “Tor, I need to tell Gabe. And you need to tell Jeff.”

“I know, I know. I just don’t know if I’m ready,” she managed to spit out, looking like she was going to cry again.

“You need to be ready. The next 7 months are going to fly by. I’m calling Gabe tonight after his game and I’m going to tell him everything. He’ll give me Jeff’s number. We will call him together and we will tell him together, sound good?”

“I’m so glad I have you,” Tori said as she began to cry again.

We spent the rest of the day watching movies and YouTube videos. Eventually the game came on TV and we made popcorn and settled in to watch it. Just then, my cell phone went off. “Shit, where is that?” I asked. “And who is calling me? Mom and Dad are gone down south, Gabe’s on the ice and I’m with you.” I finally found my phone, “Oh shit. Hey Grace!”

“Where the hell are you?” Grace was Matt Duchene’s girlfriend. We always sat together in the family box because we were the youngest girlfriends on the team. Most of the other guys were either single or married and we didn’t fit in. The wives said that we would never last; some even said we just wanted their money. Clearly that didn’t make sense seeing how we were both with our boyfriends since they played in the minors. Whatever, let the haters hate.

“I’m so sorry. My twin is having a crisis and I totally forgot to call you.”

“It’s alright. I’ll just sit here with these bitches for the next 3 hours by myself, no big deal.” I could sense the sarcasm in her voice.

“Sorry girl! Let’s have lunch as soon as I get back?”

“Yes, that sounds perfect and I’ll keep you updated on all the gossip from the box.”

“Okay, sounds good! Byeeeee!” I hung up the phone just as the game began. Gabe was on the starting line-up. I loved when he started; he always seemed to play a much better game.

We sat watching the game which was tied 2-2 after the second. The third went scoreless until the dying minutes of the game. Then, out of nowhere, Gabe made his way past the two defensemen and scored. I went crazy! I’m surprised Tori’s neighbors didn’t complain about the noise.

We won the game 3-2 thanks to Gabe and I was secretly wishing that I was back home. We always had the best sex after he played a great game, but tonight instead of fantastic post game action I was going to have to tell him that my twin sister was pregnant with his best friend’s baby.