Between the Lines

1114: Goodbye

Naomi kicked her shoes off and pulled her dress up, climbing into the glimmering fountain. She had always hated these dreadful galas. They where just a reason for rich snooty types to wear clothes that cost more than their cars and talk about the societal pressures of the first world. Naomi was in fact wearing one of those “way-over-priced” dresses, one that cost more than her rent for a year. It wasn’t hers though, of course. It was her sister-in-laws dress, something the tiny brunette had never wore because it was a gift from a prince of somewhere and it was much too large. Lucky, or not, for Naomi, it was just her height.

Jayne Ford was a tiny ball of fire, able to burn through men in seconds, leaving nothing left but broken men and trashed homes, especially bedrooms. Her brother Michael, often warned her of the consequences that followed her harsh actions, but she never failed to ignore them straight out. It wasn’t until she met his new wife, Naomi, that she considered changing her ways. Naomi had fiery red hair, perfect to match Jayne’s personality. She was tall, elegant and quite out of place in the Ford-Monroe world. And Jayne knew instantly that she would be forever trapped in the graceful ginger's spell.

They had met a months before the Gala, but it wasn’t until Jayne spotted Naomi across the yard and watched as the tall girl climbed into the fountain, gaining strange looks from the party-goers, that Jayne truly understood how comfortably she had fallen passionately in love with Naomi. Jayne let out a hearty chuckled and crossed the lawn, planting her feet in front of the fountain.

“You are quite the strange girl; however did my brother find you?” Jayne asked, sitting on the edge of the fountain.

“Jayne! You scared me! Sorry, I hate these things. This is the third one I’ve been dragged to this month!” Naomi sat down. She had known she loved Jayne the moment she met her, they had met at a club downtown, one of Jayne’s usual hunting grounds. It was Naomi’s bachelorette party. Neither of them spoke about the events that night, for fear that they would proclaim their love for one another and the whole thing would go to waste.

“I warned you about my brother. He loves these galas.” Jayne shrugged, crossing her legs and playing with the hem of her dress. Though their words said so little, there was so much action behind them; and the way that Naomi watched Jayne was explanation enough. Her blue eyes cast over the brunettes bare shoulders, imagining holding her again. It had been a few weeks since they had stopped seeing each other, and Jayne had been with another string of men to through off their plans. Every night alone, or with some dopey man, every dress and gala, every cry had led up to this night.

“Well, I try to please him, as you know.” Naomi could feel their flight tickets in her clutch. She took in a deep breath and turned her gaze to the water, worry etched on her forehead as she contemplated the events that would unfold when her plane crash with Jayne would “crash”.

“Your relationship is so ‘Taming of the Shrew’,” Jayne chuckled, looking at the door with longing eyes. “It’s hilarious. You really must have him come up with a new act.” Just four more hours and they would be up in the air, flying miles above the world. The plane they were destined to go on would crash, but by then they would both already be on a beach, somewhere expensive, living off of Jayne’s foreign accounts.

“Oh I’m sure he will, eventually of course. He has all that time on his hands, and he is ever so creative.” Naomi glanced at her husband. She hadn’t had her name changed yet, she told Michael it was against her believes, and he was alright with that. He understood that Naomi was a complex woman. She was Canadian, and came from a poor family. She worked on many farms around the world, mostly in New Zealand picking fruit, and she loved nature. It was strange for her to be living the life of the rich and famous, and it was clearly not meant to be. The fastest and most efficient, and yet a complete accidental way to get out of this life was to fall in love with someone else. She just hadn’t assumed or expected that person to be her new husband’s sister.

“You really are meant to be together, Naomi. You two are the most picture perfect couple.” Jayne had their lives all planned out, gorgeous beaches that belonged to just them, Naomi and Jayne. They would have a garden the size of a swimming pool, and animals too. Naomi had always wanted chickens, and Jayne had been restricted from pets as a small child due to Michael’s allergies. So her plan was to own at least two cats and a dog, as well as rabbits if possible and a bird or two. Perhaps they would get a set of love birds, that they would name Monroe and Ford.

“You’re too sweet Jayne; I know I am going to have the grandest time with you in Paris, who else would I take shopping? You’ll teach me the real ways of living in high society.” Naomi smiled, tempted to lean across and kiss Jayne right then, an urge she frequently had. Instead she stood up, walking over to her gorgeous but oblivious husband. He looked well dressed, quite accomplished and happy. She leaned in and kissed his cheek, a proud smile on her face. It was genuine too. She knew if she never left him, he would become just as miserable as she would.

“Are you leaving now my love?” Michael asked, wrapping an arm around him.

“Oh yes, you know how much I adore these parties, but our flight is soon, and I still need to grab my bags. I’ll see you in a few weeks, alright?” Naomi watched Jayne as she too stood and crossed to the couple, hugging her brother.

“Don’t take too long, brother.” Jayne whispered in her brother’s ear, knowing this was the last time he would see her made her heart ache a little. But this was what was done for love, for Naomi.

“I love you,” Naomi turned around, letting go of Michael for the last time, the warmth of his lips still on her cheek. She blushed and followed Jayne out of the backyard, through the house and to the waiting car.

“To the Airport, please Nolan,”