Fool in Love

Chapter 1/1

Tony Stark sat in his room in Stark Tower, wondering what he was going to tell Pepper when she walked in. She’d been out of town, and Tony had gotten lonely while she’d been gone. It was unusual; he never got lonely when Pepper was gone. He had changed, that much he knew, and he suspected that it had something to do with the man lying in bed next to him.

He sighed, rubbing a hand over his face as he stood. The man rolled over, blue eyes opening slowly as he felt the shift in movement on the bed.

“Morning,” Tony said with a smile, leaning down to kiss Steve Rogers. Steve smiled into the kiss, pulling away softly.

“Morning,” Steve whispered. “When does Pepper get back?”

“Any minute now. I don’t want you to get caught, because I don’t want her to get mad at you. I can deal with her, but she’s almost as scary as Banner when she’s angry.” They both chuckled at his comment. “There’s a bathroom across the hall that you can use.” He turned abruptly and walked into his personal bathroom, closing the door behind him. He heard Steve sigh and walk out of the room. He closed his eyes and willed his heartbeat to slow. What was happening to him? He never felt this way, even around Pepper.

He shook his head, clearing his thoughts as he stepped into the shower. He turned the water on as hot as it could go and stood under the water, letting it wash away everything. After about half an hour, he washed up and shut the water off. Once he’d finished getting ready for the day, he walked outside and saw Pepper standing in the doorway.

“Hey, what’s Steve doing here?” Pepper asked.

“He spent the night,” Tony said. “Not here, he stayed downstairs.” Pepper nodded, wrapping her arms around him. “I missed you,” he said softly as he pulled her into a kiss.

“I missed you too,” she said as she pulled away. She looked in his eyes and shook her head.

“What is it?”

“You’ve been kissing someone else.”

“Well, yeah, it happens.” She shook her head again. “What?”

“You didn’t miss me.”

“Pepper—“

“Was it Steve?” The silence that followed was the only answer she needed. She smiled a little and pulled away from him. “I always knew you’d fall in love with someone. I just hoped it would’ve been me. I’m glad it’s him, though. He’s better for you than I am.”

“Pepper, I’m not in love with him!” he called as she walked out. “Pepper!” He sighed as he watched her walk down the hallway and out of his sight. He rubbed his face and closed the door. A soft knock sounded at the door. “Go away.”

“Tony, it’s me.”

“I don’t want to talk to you.”

“Tony.” He sighed and yanked the door open.

“What?”

“I saw Pepper leave…”

“Yeah, she thinks I’m in love with you.” He snorted and walked out of the room. He made his way to the kitchen, where JARVIS had dinner prepared for him. He sat at the table and began to eat, aware that Steve’s eyes were on him the whole time. “She should know by now that I can’t love anyone.”

“Don’t say that; you know it’s not true.”

“Sure it is. I have never fallen in love with anyone before, why should I start now?”

“It’s not—“

“Why are you even still here? I thought I told you to leave.”

“Tony—“

“Go on, get out!”

“Tony, please just let me stay. Please. I… I want to be with you.”

“I don’t understand what you’re saying.”

“Can’t you figure it out, Tony? I love you!” Steve shouted. “I love you so much that sometimes it hurts. And… and being here with you like this… it was… it was like coming home.” Tears began to pour down his cheeks. “You were the first and only person to take the time to try and explain things to me after I woke up from being frozen. No one else even bothered. You were the only one who cared. I trusted you. I fell in love with you, and you’re going to just throw that all away, just like that? You’re just going to wash your hands of me, push me away and give up on this because you can’t handle the fact that you just might be falling in love too!”

He turned and stormed off, tears still pouring down his face. He brushed at them angrily, pushing past Natasha without even looking at her. She watched, curious, as he went right out of Stark Tower and down the street. She turned her gaze to a very shocked Tony Stark and raised an eyebrow.

“What happened, a lovers’ quarrel?” she said with a smirk. Tony pushed past her, racing after Steve.

“Steve!” he called out. “Steve, please wait!” He caught up with the super soldier, grabbing hold of his arm and pulling him to a stop.

“I don’t want to hear it, Tony,” Steve said in reply. His voice was low, and there were still tears on his cheeks. Tony turned the man around to face him and as Steve tried to pull away, he leaned up and placed a soft kiss on the soldier’s lips. Steve was surprised by Tony’s action, but after a few moments he returned the kiss, pulling the shorter man closer and wrapping his arms tightly around him. After what seemed like ages, Tony pulled away, a small smile playing on his lips.

“You’re right, Steve,” he said. “I’ve been trying to hide that I have emotions, especially that I can love. I… I love you, Steve. Please, please don’t leave.” Steve’s face broke out in a huge grin as he pulled Tony closer, resting the shorter man’s head on his chest. Tony could hear the steady beating of the soldier’s heart, letting the comforting sound soothe him.

“I love you,” he said softly. In that moment, Tony knew everything between them would be all right. “Look at us.”

“We’re just a couple of fools in love, aren’t we?” He laughed, and Steve joined in.

“Yeah, we are.” They shared another soft kiss. “But I wouldn’t want it any other way.”