Maybe It Was an Accident

or maybe...

Maybe it was an accident, that’s the only way she could rationalizes it. He was too… hot? No, he was too perfect for her. Or maybe it was a dream, yes, she was dreaming. He couldn’t be real, he couldn’t actually love her. No, it must be a dream, a cruel one at that. Giving her everything she could have wanted only to take it away when she woke up.

And she did wake up; she opened her eyes and tossed her alarm across the room where it shattered into pieces. “Well” a husky voice mused. “You put some force into it this morning”

She smiled into her pillow, “someone kept me up all night.” He laughed and rolled her over to look at him. The morning sun rising through the window behind him to cast a golden silhouette on his soft curls.

“And that is my fault?” he asked with a smiled that flashed his perfect teeth. Just further proof that he was beyond her.

“I never said it was you” she smirked.

“And who, pray tell, would have kept you up if not for me?” his accent sent shivers down her spine as he ran a finger down her cheek.

“Brad Pitt” she said with a small smile and squealed as he rolled her back over into her pillow. “Jacob!” she laughed as she sprang from the bed to run down the hall after him, tossing her arms around his torso to hug him from behind. “And just where do you think you’re going?”

“I was going to give you and Brad Pitt some privacy” he mused turning to face me.

“While sweet, I have a much different plan for this morning” she said resting her chin against his fit chest. “You know, before they come to take me away”

“Oh is that today?” he teased, “must have slipped my mind”

“Like time has slipped by?” She laughed turning her head to rest her cheek against his chest. “Can you believe it? That day, that was four years ago”

“And to what day are you referring my dear?”

“The day we met” she smiled curling into his warmth. “When you practically fell into my lap”

“Actually I believe you fell into me” he countered pulling away to look at her. “That shy little girl at the coffee shop running right into my chest, spilling my coffee all over herself.”

“And that gentlemanly English boy giving me his sweatshirt to wear home” she grinned. “And then demanding it back for a week afterwards”

“I only did that to start a conversation” he said with wicked wag of his eyebrow. “How else do you pry words from someone so shy?”

“Well I’m not shy anymore” she giggled. “You changed that, you changed… everything.”

He smiled and cupped her cheek, “before you Anna, I was… lost no-I knew exactly where I was, but it was the wrong path; one where I would only end up old, bitter and alone. But then you, that shy little girl, you ran right into me and knocked me onto a new path, one bright and beautiful where I live happily, with you.”

“Well now, you make my speech look silly” she giggled as he twirled a strand of her dark hair in his fingers.

“That’s because it is silly” he started and she laughed, “I would hope you’d have something better for latter, my love, because that just won’t cut it”

“If that’s all I had to say then we wouldn’t be doing this” she said before twirling out of his embrace and leading him by his hand into the kitchen. “If that’s all I had to say, then I wouldn’t love you as much as I do”

“Do I get to hear your speech then?” he asked sitting down at the island while she grabbed the box of cereal from the cupboards.

“Not until letter” she smiled as she retrieved two bowls and spoons.

“You tease”

“Of course”

He looked at her, happily, as he reached across the island to grasp her small hand in his. “I knew… I knew from the first moment I held this hand, when I helped you up that day; I knew you would be my everything”

“Um, Jacob,” she giggled. “It was this hand,” she said holding up her other one and he laughed.

“I suppose it was,” he chuckled pulling his bowl of cereal to him.

“I knew when you came back the next day” she smiled. “When that sweet foreign boy sat down and asked for his sweatshirt.”

“That you refused to give back”

“I kept it to make sure I saw you again,” she admitted. “How else do you draw a cute boys’ attention?”

“Well plowing him over seems to have done the trick,” he joked. “Because you have me captivated.” She smiled and took his hand from across the table, just to feel him. To hold his hand in her own and know that he is real. He wasn’t a dream, and he really did love her.

This is how she knows, she thought as she continued to eat her cereal. This is how she knows he’s real. Because he’s here, she can feel him, she can feel his love for her. In dreams one can only feel so much and this went beyond all of that.

A knock at the door made her jump and he laughed. “What in god’s name is he doing here?!” her maid of honor demanded walking into the apartment.

“He lives here” Anna laughed. “I can’t very well kick him out”

“For one night, before you spend the rest of your lives together, yes I think you can” she said “Why are you even here, Jacob? Didn’t you have a bachelor party to go to?”

“Bachelor parties are for those who are sad to see their single days leave” he said simply as he leaned back against a wall. “I am not; I couldn’t be more excited actually”

“Whatever, you ma’am go get dressed so we can get out” she ordered Anna. “And you sir, carry on with breakfast, but do not be late! If her mother doesn’t skin you, I will” she threatened with a glare. Jacob chuckled before retreating into the kitchen.

Jacob hugged her tightly before she left. “I’ll see you at four,” he whispered into her ear.

She smiled, “I’ll be the one in white”

“Yes, yes, you’re perfect for each other” her friend rolled her eyes before separating the two. “Let’s go Ann, we have appointments to make, the spa will only hold a reservation for so long” Anna laughed and waved to Jacob before starting down the hall with her friend who babbled on endlessly about the plans for the day. Anna barely heard any of it; she was locked away in her head where she relived that day over and over again.

Maybe it was an accident she thought smiling, or maybe it was something more. Some force pulling the two of them together on that one, most important day.

Maybe it was fate.