Status: In Progress

Alpha & Hunter

Under My Skin

"I'm disappointed in you, Gabriel."

I stared into the fire, my arms folded across my chest. It wasn't the first time Constant had said that, and it certainly wouldn't be the last. In reality I was barely listening to him; burning thoughts in my head kept distracting me, and seeing Constantine made me want to leave again. He looked faintly tired, but still devilishly handsome. His light blond hair had gotten longer, and was tied back at the base of his neck. He was dressed comfortably in a pair of dark jeans and a black t-shirt. It was strange to see him so casual; he normally wore suits.

"After you left, the House of Sangue starting making more attacks on us, even during the Vigil of the Full Moon. This has proved to be a problem." I could feel him standing behind me now, his breath tickling the back of my neck. Growling quietly to myself I pulled my hood up, refusing to turn around. I ignored his words.

"Are you going to tell me why you went to Romania?"

He was silent for a time and I sensed him move away from me. I had known Constant for a long, long time. I could read his emotions like the back of my hand, but lately, things had been more tense than usual. He was hiding something from me, and I intended to find out what it was.

"I went to have a council with one of the Alphas in Romania. We will know by the next Vigil if they will help us with the House of Sangue." His response surprised me, and I finally turned to look at him. He was sitting in a plush armchair, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. He was staring at me. Heat crawled onto my cheeks and I faced the fire again. His voice made me cringe.

"Gabe, look at me."

"Just...shut the fuck up for a second, Constant."

He fell silent, and I was thankful for the moment of quiet stillness. The eyes of the fire burned into my skin, beads of anxiety forming on my brow. It seemed nothing I did was right. Maybe I should run away; tonight. I was a Hunter, so I could cover my trail easily. I could leave every inch of this place behind. There were two things holding me back. No matter what, there was always two dominating factors that defined my choices. I still hadn't found the answer to the question that had been gnawing at me for centuries. Much to my disgust, my heart still lurched for Constantine. It didn't make sense to me. Here I was, wanting to rip his throat out and wanting to press our bare bodies together at the same time. I can't handle this.

"I need to know."

"And what would that be, Gabriel."

I turned to face him, my eyes hauntingly dark. "I need to know-"

"Alpha Constantine! We're under attack! Our patrol squad was ambushed near the west line."

The young lycan leaned against the open doorway, his breath labored and blood trickling from a gash on his scalp. Constantine was already moving out the door.

"Thank you, Ariz. Rest yourself."

And then he was gone.