Status: In Progress

Alpha & Hunter

Shifting

The House of Sangue had attacked before, but I had a horrible feeling that this time was different. Something in the air had shifted and there was a lingering chill in my blood. The atmosphere in the armory was tense; all the Hunters gazed intensely at me, waiting. There really was no time for words of encouragement, not that they were necessary. The assault rifle in my hands seemed to weigh nothing at all and I found myself distracted by the string of bullets stretched across my chest. My second in command Marku, nudged me, his red eyes questioning.

Like both Lionus and Constantine, I had known Marku for a long time. We had gone through training together and I considered him my brother. We stood at the same height, but that was the only similarity between us. Unlike me, his skin was a dark tan and his thick brown hair curled subtly against his cheekbones, his jaw lined with rough stubble. I rubbed my chin, contemplating the last time I had shaved. I felt Marku jab me in the ribs again. I eyed him carefully before addressing the Hunters.

"Hunters. You all know your duties well. Marku will lead a group around the east border and I shall lead a group up the south wall. We will intersect the Sangue's at the Garden front. Understood?"

"Confirmed, General Gabriel." They said in unison.

"You are not authorized to attack in form unless I have word from Constantine. Now move out."

Taking my group, we left the armory in silent motion. Laced beneath the mansion and the mansion grounds were a series of intricate tunnels and passageways. They were only used in cases of extreme threat and emergency. Now was one of those times. I was worried and annoyed at the same time. Constantine was right; things were getting strange. The House of Sangue originated in Italy, in the Vatican region. Their elders still resided there. 'Sangue' means blood in Italian. Still, they had never gone to such lengths to make extreme offensive attacks on us. It was unsettling.

The summer night air was stifled with choked heat, the drone of insects humming across the mansion grounds. Our territory was vast, but I knew where the enemy was. They were practically crawling on the front steps. They had never gotten this close before. It should have been impossible. My mind started wondering to ideas of conspiracy; sweat trembled on my brow and the assault rifle was heavy in my hands. One of the Hunters pulled me into reality.

"General, is something wrong?"

I turned my silver gaze on him, my emotions unclear. I had come to a complete stop at the edge of the south wall. This was bad; I couldn't afford to keep getting distracted. I nodded stiffly, my jaw clenched.

"Yes. Everything's under control. Stack up, fall in line, and prepare the assault position." I was answered by understanding silence and we continued moving, edging along the south wall. Everything was silent. Even nature had fallen quiet; as if the world was holding it's breath. I shivered despite the sickening heat. I had heard nothing from Marku since we left the armory. Something wasn't right. I could feel it like a disease swimming under my skin and leeching into my blood. The Hunters picked upon my uneasiness and adjusted themselves; muscles tensed and weapons loaded. If things got too unstable, we would have to shift. It was strictly forbidden to do so outside the Vigil of the Full Moon; unless circumstances were so critical that it would effect the future of the House.

Abruptly a gunshot fired through the atmosphere, loud and violent. It was coming from the Garden. I could smell the blood from our position halfway down the south wall. My heart scratched at my throat.

"Hunters, double-time to the Garden. Fire at will. Leave no survivors."