Status: In Progress

Alpha & Hunter

Next Life

I moved like a ghost through the Garden. Invisible strings were tied around my tendons and muscles, guiding me towards the voice. The fighting had stopped. The silence was so loud I found myself cringing against it, trying to shove my trembling heart back down into it's cage of bone. I stopped at the center of the Garden where a majestic fountain stood. Water spilled from the ivory spouts and tumbled down to a crystal clear pool. But the water wasn't clear any more. It was clouded with scarlet, bullet holes riddling the intricate carvings. I stared blankly at the pool, trying to connect the dots in my mind. The voice spoke again from the surrounding darkness.

"Ahh, Gabriel. It's been too long."

I finally got control over my mouth and I shook my head, clearing the cobwebs. There was still an aching throb at the back of my conscious, but I could ignore it for the time being. I turned the safety off my assault rifle and aimed it into the shadows, sweat trickling down my temple.

"Who the fuck are you?" I demanded, a growl laced between my words. "I will not be toyed with."

"So much built up rage. Its radiating off you. Hm. I don't remember you being so blood-thirsty."

What the hell were they talking about? I prided myself on keeping the confusion off my face while my eyes gleamed like two silver coins. I wiped a quick hand over my face, smearing blood and sweat. Slowly, a realization was beginning to settle over me. In any other situation, I was the Hunter. A swift, quiet, and deadly creature. I was the General Hunter; an elite member. I was feared throughout the underground world of dark creatures. It was rare to find someone who hadn't heard of me. But this time was different. It was if I was now the hunted, and this voice was the hunter. The more I thought about it the more it made sense.

"Yah, and I'm not patient either, so I suggest you show your face you son of a bitch."

They responded with laughter; I could practically hear them smirking. If I was angry before, now I was full blown enraged. It started out like a intense heat spreading under my skin, blistering up under my senses and exploding behind my eyelids in a burst of red. Snarling, I dropped my rifle and lurched forward, fire igniting in my bones.

One moment I was rushing forward and the next I was flat on my back, two bullet holes steaming from my chest. I gasped in shock and pain, my eyes glowing. With trembling fingers I ripped off my shirt, exposing the bare skin. I wouldn't die but I would pass out from blood loss soon if I wasn't treated. The agony made me growl, the veins in my neck straining.

Rough hands pulled me to my knees; there was someone on either side of me, holding me up. I struggled to stay conscious, coughing up a pile of blood. One of the bullets must have hit my lung. Each breath was more painful than the last. I felt myself slipping but my captors were not merciful. In such a world there was no such thing as mercy. One grabbed a handful of my hair and yanked my head back, forcing me to look up. I coughed again, the blood dripping down my throat.

Someone approached, their presence sharp and cold against the rich summer heat. I leaned towards it, desperate to escape the invisible fire burning around me. Fingers like ice gripped my chin, directing my gaze.

When I finally looked into his eyes my mind caved in and everything went black.