Status: In Progress

Alpha & Hunter

Soft Shock

I drifted back to consciousness slowly, shapes and colors gradually becoming more defined. I groaned under my breath, sharp pains shooting up the back of my skull. I tried to convince myself that everything that had happened was just a bad dream. I would wake up and Constantine would be next to me, his body among the silky red sheets. But Sorin's words were burned into my skin and no amount of self-arguing could convince me otherwise.

Sorin was my brother but he was wrong. He was wrong about Constantine. If it wasn't for the blue-eyed alpha, I wouldn't be alive. I had been bitten by a rogue lycan and Constant saved me from the brink of death. I owed everything to him. My senses picked up a presence and I jerked awake, eyes wide and silver. I was surprised to see Ezio standing in front of me, not Constantine. I slipped off the bed and went to wring Ezio's throat but he flitted out of my reach, and I was too tired to pursue him.

"What is it, Ezio?" I growled, stepping past him and pouring myself a drink at the bar. The alcohol was hot in my chest, sinking pleasurably into my bloodstream. The Messenger loosened his tie, his movements expressing his hesitation.

"Well, spit it out!" I snapped again, slamming my glass on the bar. Ezio flinched but didn't move.

"No one has seen Constantine since the night of the raid. My best guess is that he went to Romania to sort out business." Snarling I ordered the Messenger to leave and he did so gratefully. I paced back and forth across the room, drinking straight from a tall bottle of whiskey. I didn't understand. I was kidnapped by an enemy House, and Constantine wasn't even here to greet me on my return. Did he even try to look for me? I shook my head, trying to free myself of such negative cobwebs.

I was truly at a lost on what to do. I wanted to figure out the truth, the real truth, but without Constantine I was stuck at a dead end. There was Lionus, but from rumors I had heard floating around the House he was off collecting relics and strolls in Spain, or something like that. It defiantly sounded like Lionus; completely absorbed in his work with little regard for anything else. Which included me. I suddenly felt very out of place standing in Constantine's chambers, and I threw the bottle of whiskey into the fireplace, where is smashed into a shower of glass.

Consuming with wild need, I started searching through Constantine's belonging's, starting in the main chamber and moving to his bedroom. Nothing. I found nothing of even the slightest significance. I tore through books and drawers, ripping mirrors and paintings off the walls. Frantic emotions caused a strong heat to crawl up my spine. I could feel the animal inside me clawing at my ribs and I barely managed to swallow it down. Then something caught my eye. It was simple and unnoticeable, but for some reason it stood out in my mind. On the wall, right above the headboard of the bed was a small chip in the marble and a slight color difference. The longer I stared at it the more it stood out.

Gently, I pushed on the chip. A hidden edge sliced the tip of my finger and a few drops of blood slipped into the crack. I gasped when a rectangle shaped portion of the wall began to slide away, revealing a small cabinet. With shaky fingers I opened it to find a sleek black box. I grabbed it greedily and threw it on the table in the main chamber. The box wasn't locked. I snickered; knowing Constantine, he probably didn't think it was possible for anyone to even find the hidden cabinet. He should have known better. He should have known me better. Frowning, I opened the box and inside was a pile of files, a vial of purple liquid, and a golden dagger.

When I found my file, I stopped.

Did I really want to know what was inside?

Did I really want to know the truth?