Status: In Progress

Alpha & Hunter

At The Edge

The sun dipped below the skyline, framing the tips of the buildings in a soft orange glow. The light and noise of the day was beginning to die down into a murmur. The occasional honking of a car or barking of a dog was all that interrupted the growing shadows. The air became more frigid and cold with the descending night, the sky above dark and starless. I stood against a brick building, a cigarette hanging limply from my lips. The streets would appear empty to a mortal eye, but I knew better. I was waiting for my cue to move in and take out the designated target.

It seemed they had been sending me out on more and more jobs lately, though I didn't mind. I was good at what I did and that's all that mattered. According to Constantine I was a 'valuable asset to the operations', which was better than being the latter. The more I thought about it the more I realized just how much of a close eye Constantine was keeping on me lately; I couldn't deny that it was a bit unnerving. But, considering Constantine was both alpha and boss, I had no choice but to obey him. Although there had been plenty of times that I disagreed with him.

I saw a glint out of the corner of my eye and began down the street, my movements silent. I stayed close to the building walls, the shadows offering adequate cover. Not that it really mattered; the man wouldn't have been able to sense me anyway. He was only human after all. I hadn't been human in what felt like ages; time was meaningless to me.

There -- I moved in behind the man, sharp claws slicing the artery in his neck and both femoral arteries in his thighs. He collapsed to the ground, blood painting the road a wet crimson. A slow smirk crawled across my lips, quick silver eyes watching as the man died before me without a single sound. My work here was done; once I left, a backup crew would come and clean everything up. They just needed me for the actual kill. Not only was I good at it, but I liked it.

Leaping upon a fire escape, I made my way to the roof of a nearby building. I ran across the top and jumped the empty space to the next roof with restless ease, my heart calm and steady in the cradle of my chest. I continued this way for a few blocks before allowing myself to fall to the ground below in the darkness of a damp alleyway.

When I arose the silver in my eyes had disappeared, replaced by a deep earth brown. I was still a fair distance from the randevu point, but I felt like walking. I could practically hear Constantine's voice in my head, praising me -- 'And another rival falls dead at the hands of Gabriel cel Rau!'. I would never admit it, at least not out loud, but I really wanted to slug Constantine in the mouth sometimes.