Status: New Story!

Chasing Pavements

Break

Image

Hand in hand we walked.

The hot summer sun beating down on us, warming our bodies with its rays of light. My eyes watched the ground under my feet, squishing the grass with each step. Though it had been merely minutes, our journey felt as if it had taken a lifetime.

"Why are you taking me here, Seth?" this place was all too familiar, "I don't understand...."

He didn't answer. Just kept walking, eyes fixed straight ahead. A breeze blew in from the lake, whipping my hair all around me. Looking up to brush the hair from my eyes.. I saw it. The old tire swing hanging from the oak tree. Our tree.

"Seth..." I tried to speak, but sentences just wouldn't form. We had our very first date here, right under the oak tree. It was corny, really. He brought me here for a "picnic on the water" he called it. We engraved our names in the bark and swung on this swing until the sun set deep below the horizon. He led me over to the swing and slowly sat down in the cool grass, his back resting against the tree's trunk.

"Come here, love" he patted the ground next to him, "There is something I have to tell you and... And I think you should sit down first."

Nerves racked my body. Was he breaking up with me? No. He wouldn't. Not here, not now. So many thoughts spun around in my head, none of them pleasant. I sat down next to him and looked deep into his hazel orbs, hoping to understand. Hoping I could find even a tint of happiness within them. I couldn't. They showed nothing but sadness and distress. This wasn't like him. He was always so happy, so full of light, but his eyes... Oh, his eyes were so sad.

" What is it, Seth?" I asked, " What's wrong?"

He sighed a deep, breathy sigh, "I'm sorry, Skye. I promised you I would get better. I promised you I would change, but I haven't," He closed his eyes for a moment and when he opened them again they were full of worry, "I failed, I'm sorry. I.. I have to go up in front of the judge again."

I shook my head. No. Not again. He changed, he really really changed. I could see it happening with my own eyes. He was no longer distant and moody. No more drugs. No more alcohol. Or so I had thought.

"You failed? Okay, so you've relapsed. We can start over, you'll get better again and everything will be okay. This won't change us, I swear. The judge will understand... He'll understand..."

He sighed once again and turned toward me. Taking both of my hands in his, he looked deep into my eyes. I've never seen him so serious before. So concerned.

"No, Skye, you don't understand. They'll put me on probation again and... And they've considered a Juvenile Detention Center."

No. No. No. This couldn't be happening. They can't take him from me.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a flash forward, the next chapter will be in present time before any of this even happened.