Status: New Story!

Chasing Pavements

A Turn For The Worst

Image

In biology that very same day, my teacher, Mr. Kyle, was giving his usual lecture. Something about molecules and atoms, I believe. Not paying attention was very unlikely for me, but today it seemed to be the only thing I could do. My mind continued to wander off , completely ignoring everything I was supposed to be hearing.

"So, since we have a test in here Friday I have decided to partner you all with study partners" Mr. Kyle stated, catching my attention, "I have already made a list of names. If you don't like your partner, well, too bad. It's the only one your going to get and yes you must work with them."

My eyes quickly scanned the room, looking at all of the other hopeful faces. Maybe he would partner me with someone as smart as myself. We could work together in perfect harmony and definately ace Friday's test. He began to read down the list of names, all of the "smart" students were slowly fading away until he finally came to me.

"Skylar Johnston you are partnered with Seth Green"

Excuse me? Hell no! My eyes grew wide as I turned to look at him, the devil sitting a few rows over. A small smile played on his lips. Damn bastard, I thought, I really, truly hate you. He stood quickly and came to sit next to me. He reeks of cigarette smoke, gross. I turned to look at him, his hazel eyes shining in the light.

"So partner, I'm thinking... You sit there and copy down some notes for me and just look pretty," he said bluntly

I scoffed, "Excuse me? No. I'll gladly allow you to copy a few notes from my notebook but I will not do your work, " I rolled my eyes, " I don't even want to work with you in the first place, just so you know. So I'm thinking you just sit there and shut up. Kay?"

His jaw dropped. No surprise, Seth Green does not get turned down by girls. But I'm not your average girl and I sure as hell do not want anything to do with him. I slid my notebook over to him and looked up at his face. He just sat there, staring at it like it was some foreign thing.

" It's called a notebook, not that you've ever used one before, but you write notes in it.," He continued to stare at it, "Um, you open it, you know? The stuff is written inside."

" I know how to use a damn notebook, I'm not stupid. I just don't have any paper or a pen.. So, this is pointless," he slid it back over to me.

Who comes to class without anything to write with or write on? Apparently, Seth Green. I sighed and handed him a new notebook I had planned to use and a pen.

"There, now write." I said simply, turning away from him and opening my Biology book. to go back over the chapter we had been studying. I tried my best to focus on the text but I couldn't stop wondering, "Why would Mr. Kyle pair me with Seth? Does he hate me? God, he must really hate me."

"Skylar, would you come here, please?" Mr. Kyle asked shaking me from my thoughts.

Great, what could he possibly want now? I slid my chair back and walked to the front of the room, placing myself directly in front of Mr. Kyle's desk.

"Skylar, you are a very intelligent student, but I'm sure you already know that. I'd just like to explain to you why I have partnered you with Seth. As you know, Seth isn't a very good student. His grades in this class are not the best and his attendance record is.. well, not good, " Is he going to just sit here and insult Seth? Hmm, I like this, " So, I was hoping that you could really help him out on this test. It's a major part of his grade and I would hate to see him fail this class. Also, the amount of time we have here in this class will not be enough for him. He needs additional study time. I was hoping the two of you could get together after school and study."

Did he really just say that? He wants me to see Seth outside of school. No. No. No. I can barely stand to see him here, let alone outside of school. This is absolutely absurd, I won't do it. I just won't.

"I'm sure this is a lot of ask of you, but if you do this for m- Seth, I'll give the two of you bonus points on your tests. I'm not supposed to, but this is very important for him. And it's not like you'll need the points, now will you? Ha, your sure to pass, " The look in his eyes changed, " So, will you help him?"

My mind was screaming NO!, but my heart was telling me yes. It would be wrong of me not to help him, plus it would get me bonus points. You never know, those points could come in handy. I sighed and ran over the idea in my head a few more times. Could it honestly be that bad? It's not like he is asking me to hang out with Seth, just to study for awhile with him. The test is a few days away and then afterwords I'll never have to talk to that douche bag ever again. I guess it couldn't hurt.

"I'll do it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for all the dialog, it won't be like that all the time.

So, Seth and Skye have met for the first time and it hasn't gone well. What do you think will happen when they have their study session after school? COMMENT and let me know!