Kaleidoscope

f i v e

I was in school when my mother died; fifteen years old and stuck in that awkward phase between graceful adult and gangly teenager. I'd lost most of the baby fat I'd been born with and looked like, as you called it, a cherry tomato vine. I still have never seen a cherry tomato vine, by the way.

Bae Jun-oppa came to break the news to me during lunch hour. I remember that day distinctly. He pulled up in his sleek black Mercedes, dark glasses stuck on. At first, I'd thought that he was dropping something off. Bae Jun didn't like schools, or parks, or crowds. Waving at him, I bade farewell to my friends - Hyun and Eun Mi - and trudged towards the man. His first words to me were: "Mother's dead."

I was so shocked to hear that, that I stopped walking instantly. It felt as if I'd run into a brick wall.

"What?"

"Mother's dead. There was a car accident. She's dead."

I glared at Bae Jun-oppa while my heart shattered inside my chest – like when you squeeze a crystal glass too hard and it breaks in your hand, cutting into your skin and drawing blood. I wanted to cry so bad, and scream and shout, but I couldn't because it was lunch hour and everyone in school had come out to enjoy the summer sun.

After a long moment, I managed to find my voice again. "Take me home."

Bae Jun shook his head. "The driver will be back to pick you after school lets out."

"Your driver will take me home now."

Bae Jun frowned. "Appa will not be pleased."

"I don't care about him."

It took him five more minutes to decide before he finally let up.

"Get in, then."