When Reality Diminishes

Knock knock

He watched as Austin burst out laughing as he saw her body go limp and fall back. He however frowned. She managed to stay conscious through seeing the slaughtering, through the screams, through the beatings... yet when it’s all over, she blacks out? Her mind was messed. He shoved Austin to the ground as he continued to laugh. Well, compared to him, she wasn’t as messed.

The others walked out of the trees, all looking quite upset. He just smiled at them.

“Couldn’t you have left one for us?” Austin now sobered up, stood up and pushed Damon.

“I only killed four, Damon hogged all of them.” He smiled at them before shrugging.

“It was the easiest plan. And relax, I’m sure you all will get to kill more next time. But now we should get out of here. You guys grab all of the weapons that are remaining in them, I’ll grab the girl.”

Her head pounded and her whole body ached. She didn’t want to wake up, she wanted to stay in the darkness where no pain was. It was better than reality, much better.

But a light was shining on her face and voices were talking, both making it difficult for her to drift off. Her mind seemed to pause for a second, when had she fallen asleep?

Then it came back. The fight, the blood, the convulsing bodies... then everything went black. Her eyes shot open only to be blinded by the bedroom light. A few curses came from her mouth as she shielded her eyes. Laughter than filled the room. Yeah, funny. Her eyes then stared at her wrist, the one that had been almost torn apart. Bandages now lay across it. Lowering her hands from her eyes, she traced them across her face. Wincing, she pulled back her hands and looked to see who was there, and where she was.

She was in the same room she woke up last time, with Damon and Austin there. Damon was sitting on the end of the bed and Austin was leaning against the wall beside the bed. Both were cleaned of blood and in their usual clothes. She glanced down at herself to see herself changed also, and the blood off her skin.

“We just changed your shirt and pants, and we used a cloth.” He said, before she could freak out about him bathing her. Slight relief filled her, but not too much.

She glared at him which only caused Austin to laugh and Damon to smile. Right, they had seen her throwing up from the sight of deaths, of course they wouldn’t fear her glare. Then again, who would fear a humans glare?

“Austin,” said Damon turning to him, his tone low, giving him some sort of look. Austin turned to him and gave a small nod. She hated it when they would just give the other a look, and know what they were thinking. It was always nerve wracking to watch or to be around. Austin then pushed off the wall and headed for the door. He shot her one last amused look before exiting.

He watched her eyes follow Austin’s. Her face was bruised and cut badly. Her nose had almost been broken, but they had managed to get it back in place while she was unconscious. Surprisingly enough, Austin was a pro when it came to medical needs. When he was little he was going to be a doctor, but as he grew, he realized he preferred to cause the pain, instead of help it. But he was still sort of the doctor of the group. He had also gave him stuff for her bruises, to help them heal faster. It was what they used on vampire slaves so they would be somewhat presentable.

She then turned her eyes back to his. He met them and she quickly turned away. She was smart not to stare in a vampires eyes for long, but he was still curious of what he would see in her eyes.

He didn’t know she would get this beat, but there had been nothing he could do about it without blowing the whole plan. Maybe he should have warned her, but then she would have struggled on the way there. He was still surprised that she didn’t answer their questions when they asked who was there. He had been sure she would, but he hadn’t worried since they would be killed, but he still figured she would. But she didn’t, instead she took the beatings.

She was loyal, that much was obvious. She knew her role, and though he had to force her into staying, she kept it. She didn’t try to make any deals with the other vampires, nor did she try to stab him with the dagger...

He was snapped back when he realized she was glaring even harder at him. He had to suppress his laughter. It was just too funny. She was so weak, yet she tried to still hold up her bravery. He had to give her credit for not screaming during the beating, but other than that, she was a weak frail little girl.

“What’s that for?” He asked, humour showing in his voice. That only made her glare harden.

“For shoving that stake in the ground.” He shrugged at that.

“Did what I had to. You wouldn’t have stayed if I hadn’t done other wise, and you have to admit, it worked good. They’re all dead. I didn’t even have to bring in the others, or the backup.” She stared at him for a moment before speaking.

“Yeah but... but...” she trailed off her and eyes seemed to glaze. She shuttered before looking at him, her eyes showing slight pain. He frowned, what happened to the glare? “That was horrific,” she breathed, pulling her knees to her chest and now staring at the bed. “I didn’t think... I never knew... how can you kill like that?!” She asked, her voice going shrill.

He surveyed her. He knew she would break down sometime, but he didn’t think she would allow herself in front of him. But then again, how much did he know about human girls? Let alone humans?

“They deserved to die, that’s how I can.” He paused and let out a breath. “If it calms your nerves slightly, since I don’t think I can handle you screaming every time you see me, I would never be able to kill a child.” She looked at him now. Her eyes had been filled with tears and he had a sudden urge to make them fall. He shook those thoughts out of his head. If he wanted this plan to work, she still had to be sane.

Her body was shaking and he didn’t know whether from nerves or if she was cold. He didn’t care. He pushed himself up and gave one last look at her pitiful frame.

“There’s water beside the bed, drink up. When you can, get something to eat. We go again in two days.” Her eyes widened and before she could protest he walked out.

Again? In two days?! She scrambled to her feet and quickly regretted it as her back ached. Her eyes shut tightly as she swayed. After breathing deeply and calming her body, she opened her eyes. A water bottle sat on the bed side table, like Damon said. She grabbed it and drank it thirstily. Screaming tends to make your throat go dry. So does getting beat, but she had known that for a long time.

After making sure she wasn’t going to fall, she left the bedroom. There was no way she was going to do that again, no way! Her feet took her clumsily down the hallway and to the doorway. She pushed herself through it, almost falling in the process. She ignored Austin’s snort saying graceful and turned to Damon who was now staring at her. All of them were in the room, with what looked like maps and blue prints on the table. She heaved a breath before narrowing her eyes at Damon.

“You want me to do that, again, in two days?!” She asked, her voice raising. Damon stared at her for a moment before turning back to Austin and continued to talk about whatever they were previously. What, was she not special enough to get his time of day?

She walked over to him and stood in front, her arms crossed and her eyes still narrowed. She wasn’t going to made a fool of by him. He would at least answer her.

“Answer me,” she growled. All eyes then turned back to her, Damon’s taking a second longer, obviously from annoyance.

“I believe you don’t have the authority to tell me to answer you.” She glared harder and tried her best not to punch him. She knew he could easily beat her, and she wasn’t going to bring on a beating if she could help it.

“I just got beat, I just had to... had to,” she said, her voice wavering, “witness things so horrific that I wanted to shoot myself. All for you so I think you can do this one thing for me!” He rolled his eyes and stood, now towering over her. She didn’t back up though.

“First off, I didn’t know you would get beat. Secondly, I made a deal with you. So you can’t pull that, you help me and I help you back, which I shouldn’t even be doing. So you can’t say that I should do that one thing for you, because I’m already doing more than I should. And thirdly,” he shoved her back, “don’t tell me what I should and shouldn’t do.” His eyes flashed red for a second as a warning.

She stumbled but caught herself, glaring at him. He stood there now, as if daring her to speak. Daring her to do something, anything. He was testing her, to see if she was a obedient little girl. She had been tested on that so many times, and so many times she failed. So many times she got beaten... so many times. What would one more be?

“Don’t touch me,” she hissed with as much anger as she could. Then she shoved him; tried to. He didn’t even budge beside the movement as his head swivelling down to her hands that were now on his chest. She pulled them back, crossing them and glaring. She tended to glare a lot, something about Damon brought out the worst of her.

Austin was almost pissing his pants laughing, and the four of the other five looked like they wanted to rip out her throat. The other one was just staring lazily at her. Damon however, was now looking angry; really angry.

Images of the night flashed through her eyes. Of what he did, of what he was capable of. Oh shit. She backed up now, tripping over her own feet and falling. Austin laughed harder as she scooted back till her back was against the wall.

He glared at the girl, though amusement was now showing through his eyes. It was quite humours. She had attempted to act all brave, and now, now she was on the ground almost cowering.

He had just opened his mouth to speak when a knock on the door caused all eyes to turn. He wasn’t expecting anyone, and his backup knew not to come when he wasn’t expecting.

Glancing briefly at the girl he noticed that most of her fear was gone, and now curiosity lay where it had been. He hated to admit it, but he now also felt curious. He then glanced at Austin who was tensed, waiting for an attack. He should be too, but why wasn’t he?

He walked over to the door as another knock rang through. Whoever was there was getting impatient. His hand wound around the knob and his other hand grabbed a dagger he still had on him. Not venom, but still a weapon nonetheless.

He pulled open the door, ready to block a blow, but none came.