When Reality Diminishes

Unconscious

She finished packing her few supplies into the backpack she had before strapping it to her back. It wasn’t very heavy, but due to her already pained back, it didn’t sit too well. With one last look at where she slept, she turned and headed out of the forest. Once completely out, she was left in a large meadow. But she knew for a fact that once the meadow ended, the next town or city began.

She began her journey across the meadow, not bothering to go at any speed, it didn’t really matter. She had lost her pursuers a while back, and it would take them a while before they realized she was no longer in the town.

It took well over seven hours before she finally began to see the lights of the town. The town looked quite large, but not huge like in most normal places. One thing she was thankful for, which aided her in her not being caught yet, was the transportation method in The Dark Land. They didn’t have vehicles, planes or let alone bikes. Their transportation was their feet, horses and if they had them, wings. But laws from the king of The Dark Land prohibited flying from town to town, unless he specifically told them they could.

The lights of the town didn’t last long for they were turned off, emitting the whole area in a darkness. Her eyes were use to it by now, but that didn’t mean she enjoyed it.

She kept heading in the direction the lights were, hoping that she’d find a way to get food. The last time she had eaten was four days ago, and the effects of no food were beginning to start on her. Her body felt weaker than usual and she was beginning to sway, so was her vision. I can’t let a little hunger get to me! I’ve been through too much just to give it all away now.

But no matter hard she tried to fight the oncoming weakness she couldn’t. Her feet began to stagger more and the ground began spinning around her.

Blinking rapidly she tried to get her vision back to normal, but all it did was make her head hurt more. She dropped to her knees and clutched her head in pain. Why was the pain suddenly so intense? It’s not like she went a week without food. But maybe since she had been having to do so much work lately, like running and avoiding deadly beings, it was worse.

She quickly pulled out a bottle of water before taking a long gulp, she knew she’d regret drinking that much in one sitting later, but now, now she needed it.

The water rushed down her throat quenching her thirst, it also helped to calm her vision for a moment. But the moment didn’t last long, for soon the spinning came back, and this time much worse. She had given her body a taste of something, and then taken it away.

Her mind began to slip away from her and tried desperately to keep conscious. But unconsciousness was slowly tinting her vision, she could feel it.

She slowly looked up to where the town should be, she was so close. But then a figure came in her swaying vision, heading toward her. She quickly scrambled to her feet and backed up, clinging to her backpack with one hand, and a dagger with the other.

The figure was obviously a man, she could tell that much from the shape. A toned man at that. She tried to determine what species, but her swaying vision made it hard to even be standing. And the sudden adrenaline rush didn’t help her already nauseated body.

“Who’s there?” Came the voice of the man. Vampire. She backed further away, not that it would do much good. He’d reach her soon and she mise as well save her strength. “I said who’s there?!” Came his voice again. She could tell by his voice that he wasn’t an aged vampire, that he still had his youth. And that he was one that was use to getting his way. Though his voice held no emotion and was cold, she knew that he wasn’t worse than the vampires after him. “Human...” he finally muttered, obviously catching her scent. “What are you doing out this late, human?!”

“Might I ask you the same question?” She asked, trying to hide the nausea from her voice, and the fear. She had gone the whole day without an attack, a new record, but when she finally began to feel weak, then a vampire came. It was unfair and cruel.

“Female?” He mumbled, more to himself than anything. “How about...” he said, finally coming out of complete darkness. Her eyes quickly darted over him.

He was taller than her and had obvious muscles, but not in a bulky way. He had short black hair and eyes that she couldn’t decipher the colour on.

As he opened his mouth to continue, her vision blacked and she felt her body plummet to the ground. Before she completely slipped out, she felt the pain of hitting the hard ground. With one last pained breath, her mind slipped from consciousness.