When Reality Diminishes

Fair is Fair

His hand remained on her cheek, his eyes staring into her frightened ones. His eyes closed, his head going back, a small sound escaping him. This was bliss. Pure, sweet, bliss. The adrenaline rush was still swimming through his system, still feeding his instincts. He wanted more, needed more.

A shudder ran through him and, unwillingly, he opened his eyes. Audrey was staring at him, fear showing clearly in her wide eyes. His pulse sped up and it took all his self control not to jump her. Whether it be to bite, or kiss, he didn't know. What he did know, was that needed to get away from her, and fast. Her fear was building on his instincts, and whatever choice his mind gave into, wouldn’t end well. He didn’t want to go down either avenue.

"He just needs to cool off."

She ignored Caleb, her head turning to stare at the empty space of trees. Caleb had been saying the same thing every ten minutes for the last two hours. He just needs to cool off, he'll be back. She was beginning to doubt it, but what was she to do about it? Run after him? Not after she saw the predatory gleam in his eyes. She may be foolish at times, picking fights at the worst possible moment, but she wasn't about to chase after someone who was just waiting to rip something apart. She would give him his space... and hope he came back.

"He'll be back, he just-"

"Shut up already!" Austin's voice was a harsh snarl that caused a flinch from her. "We get it. Cool down. Now, if you could please shut the hell up, maybe we could actually think of what to do."

"There's nothing to do." Caleb snapped back, standing up. Her eyes glanced back at him, surprised to see anger and hatred in his eyes. Since when was Caleb a fighter? The look in his eyes showed he was ready to beat the living daylights out of Austin, not that she blamed him. If she had the strength, she would have a long time ago. "We're waiting for Damon to get back, then we proceed as he says." Austin let out a bitter laugh now. She turned away again.

Damon would come back. And if he didn't... well she was as good as dead. He was the one that made the deal, and he would be the only one who would bring her to the end. She didn't doubt that. Zenon found her amusing, and he would surely like to keep her as a pet, or something just as degrading. Austin would kill her flat out. And Caleb... though nice, he wouldn't risk his life for her when he had to get back to his baby brother. Damon was the only one who would do it... but he was also the only one not there.

She didn't understand how he could be so controlled about killing, so many times, but the time that it actually count, the time they needed him, he lost it? Something had been going through his head, something that she hoped he'd resolve soon. Time was passing fast, and they needed it. The king would begin to suspect something soon, and if he found out...

If he found out, she didn’t know what she’d do.

A few more minutes.

Who was he kidding? It had been two hours. Two stupid hours! He was no closer to being calm then he had been when he left. And now time was dwindling by, time they needed, and he was being an idiot and wasting it! He needed the time. He needed his group. And he needed his head clear.

He had always thought of himself as fairly in control. Usually able to keep everything under the belt, in check, and pass like he knew what he was doing. But something had snapped. When he was killing the kings men, when he was watching their lives pass through their eyes, watching them bleed out, something snapped. Now he hungered. Now he needed more. He needed it, he craved it.

His fist lashed out on the closest object, which of course, seeing as he was in a forest, was a tree. The bark splintered, his skin split, and he soon found himself in his own blood and bark shavings.

He shook his head, his eyes closing tightly. He needed to think. He needed to wipe his mind blank, think of nothing but the task at hand. He released a slow breath, cleared his mind and found himself seeing nothing but black. Nothing but emptiness. Good. Now, the plan. The king, the party. The men he killed. The blood. No! He let out a frustrated breath. It was fine, he just needed to start over and skip the fight scene.

Black once again met his eyes. Good. Take down the king, get rid of the mutt epidemic. Kill them all. Gee the others out alive. Protect-

Audrey.

His black abyss shattered as her image sprayed across his mind.

His breath caught and he had no idea what to do. Why was she in his mind? Why?! She was nothing. A stupid pathetic human who needed to be taught a lesson. A stupid pathetic human who he was bringing to the end... a stupid pathetic human who he kissed. Who he enjoyed kissing.
Damn it.

Caleb's turn.

"He needs to get his head straight, he'll be back!"
Austin's turn.

"He's not back yet, so he's not coming! Damn it! He wouldn't want us screwing this up because his head came unscrewed!"

Back to Caleb.

"So, what? Are we just supposed to abandon him?! He's the only reason why we're this far! Without him we'd all be dead!"

She let out a sigh and shifted, resting her head on her knees. Her eyes traveled to Zenon as Austin made his comment. They weren't making any progress, not that she thought they would. Zenon met het her eyes for a moment before standing. Austin and Caleb paid him no mind as he made his way to her. Sure, she should be worried, but the emotion didn't reach her. They were screwed. They were all going to die. What was the point of being worried? She was sure the reason Caleb and Austin were having it out was because they both knew without Damon, they were all dead.

Zenon sat down beside her, his eyes trying to meet hers. This time, she didn't allow it.

"You know what they haven't realized?" She didn't respond. "Damon may have been the brains of this operation... but we still have the bait. Without you, it wouldn't have worked." He paused. "And we still have the bait..." she looked up now. She knew where this was going.

"Let me guess," she murmured. "I'm supposed to take one for the team, and give myself up, so you guys can get what you want?" Zenon smiled.

"I love a smart human. It makes life so much easier."

"Go die, Zenon. I'm not sacrificing myself so you can get what you want."

"Didn't say you had a choice." She turned her full attention to him now.

"Damon's coming back." She said it more for her own sake, but he didn't need to know that. But judging from his expression, he believed that as much as she did.

"Yes he will!" Caleb suddenly shouted, closer than she thought. Her head snapped up to see both Caleb and Austin above her. Austin's face was twisted in a snarl, and Caleb's mirrored it.

"Both of you shut up," Zenon stood, now with both glares from Austin and Caleb directed at him. "He's not coming back, Caleb, so stop being an idiot. We need to continue with the plan. We don't need Damon, why would we? The reason he made it so far is because of her," he jerked his thumb to her, "who is still in our possession." Austin’s face lit up, whereas Caleb's fell.

"No! She's to go to the end, that was the deal." She stood slowly now, aware of Zenon's eyes watching her every move. This so wasn't good. Sure, she expected to die, but she'd rather die than be handed over to the king. He would make sure she felt pain in every imaginable pain, and that wasn't something on her to-do-list.

"Correction, that was Damon's deal. Do you see him? No. We aren't obligated to do anything." Austin's cruel mouth curved into a smile, taunting her.

"Bu-"

"Get a backbone, Caleb! You're a demon for damn's sake! Start acting like one. Zenon's plan might just work. All we need to do is hand her o-"

"The plan doesn't change." Her head snapped around, surprise and relief showing clearly on her face. But it was soon replaced with anger.

"About time!" She snapped. Damon's lips curved into the barest of smiles.

"What, no thanks? No dying gratitude from saving you from a lifetime of pain? I feel under compensated." He cut her off from responding, and shot both Zenon and Austin a look to shut them up.

"The plan remains what it always was. We kill the men, then infiltrate the kings party. That's how it was planned, and how it goes down. We're heading there now before splitting. Caleb and Zenon, you two will go around the gates East, whereas myself, Austin and Audrey will go West. Kill all guards you see, but not before checking for sensors. If you trigger one, get the hell out of there, for the whole thing will be aborted. We will meet up eventually, and when we do, we head through the front gate and once again, kill everyone we see. However, once we get inside, you two," he nodded towards Caleb and Austin, "will flank my sides again. Audrey, you'll stay behind me, and Zenon, you'll be behind her, watching both of our ass’s."

"They're going to kill us if we waltz right in there." He turned his attention to Zenon. He may be a master with weapons, but when it came to strategies, he was an idiot. A complete fatuous idiot... who had been ready to bargain off Audrey. He pushed her out of his head and sent a glare at Zenon.
"First thing, Zenon, never try to go against my orders again. I'll kill you myself. If I say she goes to the end, she goes. If I say we're going to pull a suicide mission, then we're doing it. Second, you're wrong. They won't kill us. If you were the king, and just had ten of your top men killed off, all your guards, and have the perpetrator just walk right into your hands, what would you do? He's going to see what we want, in which we'll strike a bargain."

That shut him up, and he was glad. Zenon was proving to be more of a hassle than anything. But he needed him. He needed all the men he could get, and just his luck, that was only there.

"One thing," his head swivelled to the feminine voice, his eyes landing on Audrey. She was frowning, her lips extending outward just a smidgen more than usual. Get a grip.

"What?"

"From what I gather, I have no part in any of this, whatsoever, correct?" He nodded. "So why do I have to come in with you? Can't I just wait somewhere, then have you come back and take me to the end?" He approached her and was once again amazed with her ability to hold he composure.

"If I don't come back, you're worse than dead. So that is why you're coming in with us, and if things begin to go down the drain... I'll kill you myself. If I can't take you to the end, I'll make damn sure I can do the next best thing. Fair is fair."