When Reality Diminishes

Deal

She stared at him, not quite sure what to say. What was she suppose to say to that? Wow, I’m so happy for you! What else can I do for you that makes my life worse? She scowled at the thought before anger rose in her.

He had no right to use her as bait, he had no right to keep her here. What was even keeping her here? Why hadn’t she run yet? The daggers crossed her mind for a brief second, but she could easily just steal them back. Couldn’t she?

She turned her attention back to Damon who was still very close to her, watching her every movement. He was trying to read her, she knew that much. His face still held that annoying smirk. Her frown deepened and she decided to speak before her anger would explode.

"Now will you tell me why I’m here, then?" She asked, trying to keep her voice as calm as possible which proved to be difficult. Damon looked at her for a moment before smiling again, his fangs showing. He took another step towards her, and this time she didn’t back up. Whether it was because she didn’t want to show submission, or the fact the wall was practically right behind her, she didn’t know, but either way, she didn’t move. He continued his small advance until he was not even a centimeter away from her.

"On one condition," he breathed, his head coming close to her neck. She took in a deep breath but said nothing. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing he scared her. When he didn’t move though, she broke her silence.

"What?" She hissed through her teeth. She was sick of him. She was sick of vampires. And she was sick of being the weaker one.

"Willingly give me a... taste." He said quietly, now trailing his finger across her neck. At this she jerked away. The one thing about torture she hated the most was being drank from. And there was no way she would do a... a... trade off! She didn’t have to know. She didn’t... it was mainly curiosity and the fact that it could have a major impact on her life. But she would live in the dark if it meant she wouldn’t be getting bitten anytime soon. Just the thought of his fangs sinking into her neck, the blood being drawn out and the agonizing pain, was enough to make her knees weak and vomit begin to edge its way to her throat. She quickly pushed away thoughts of showing weakness; she wouldn’t.

"I think I’d rather remain not knowing." She said, speaking as carefully as she could. Her voice was firm and didn’t waver, but he was a vampire... he would notice even the slightest pitch in her voice showing her weakness. Damon studied her for a moment before speaking, though he did take a step back, giving her some of her personal space left.

"Hmm, too bad. Maybe another time." He said with a fang grin. She tried to suppress her shudder, but it managed to slip by her guard and come out. This made Damon’s smile grow. He gave her one last look before turning to sit down. She stared at him for a moment longer before walking towards the door, as calm as she could. Damon didn’t stop her, so she opened it and went through. Once on the other side, she waited. When no one came after her, she scrambled to the bedroom she woke up in.

The door closed behind her as she ran in, she stumbled onto the bed before completely collapsing. Her body shook slightly as the fear of everything ran through her. She tried to calm down, to even her breathing, to stop shaking, but she couldn’t. What was wrong with her? She had been through way worse, endured so many more horrific thing, yet just mere words caused her to become a pathetic little girl? What was it with Damon that could do that to her? He hadn’t even physically beat her or hurt her yet, yet here she was breaking down. Something was wrong with that.

She sat up slowly and stared down at her shaking hands with wide eyes. Was she so afraid? She didn’t know what was going to happen... could that be why she was so afraid? Afraid of the unknown?

"So I do scare you." Came a voice, causing her to jump and snap her head up. She mentally scolded herself for jumping in the presence of him. Taking one deep breath, she managed to stop her shaking, with much difficulty.

"What do you want?" She hissed, trying to use as much venom as possibly. Damon merely smiled before sitting down beside her.

"I don’t want anything you can give me, but I would like your... co-operation?" She stared at him slightly confused before he continued. "I don’t need it, but I would like it. It would make it oh so much easier."

"Why would I help you?" She snapped, anger evident. He was going to use her as bait, going to keep her there till who knows how long, and he wanted her co-operation?!

"I’ll let you go once everything is over, that is, if you co-operate. If not, I’ll either discard you to another vampire family, or kill you. Depends how much of a nuisance you’ve been. Your choice." She stared at him for a moment before looking away. That was a fair deal, but was she willing to go along with a vampires plan? No doubt he would kill, and those kills would have to sit on her shoulders too, for she went along with it.

If only she knew what was happening. But she didn’t and she didn’t want to be sold to another family, let alone killed. She wanted her freedom. It was something she had wanted for so long, and had been so close too... only to have it ripped out of her grasp.

"Will you bring me to the end of The Dark Land?" The end was the only place where you could get back on Earth. It was the only connection place. Damon frowned at her request, his eyes staring into hers. Silence fell in the room, but it was short lived.

"That could easily be a death sentence for myself, why would I risk my life for yours?" She looked away, why would he? Why wouldn’t he?

"Because maybe you have a little bit of compassion... though I’ve never met a vampire who had any." She could feel his eyes burning into her before he looked away. He stood up and for a moment she thought he was going to leave, but he merely paced, running a hand through his hair every so often.

"It’s a deal, then?" She stared at him in shock. Was he saying he would take her there? He gave her a small nod, as if reading her mind. She ignored that thought before nodding at his question. "Good. And for your previous statement, I’m not a full blood vampire. I’m a mix, or as everyone calls me, a mut." She frowned slightly. From what she knew, the mix breeds were outcasts... maybe that was why he needed bait.

"Then what are you?" He gave her a small grin before sitting by her again.
"Half vampire, quarter werewolf and quarter demon." She nodded slowly, trying to digest it. Would that mean he had their qualities? Or would that mean he was weaker for not being pure anything? She didn’t ask anything though, he was being extremely nice from what she knew of him, and she wasn’t going to push it.

He could see the questions running through her eyes, dying to get out. He was glad she didn’t ask them, for he didn’t want to answer all of those questions. He’d been asked them many times before. In his defence, he was as strong, and stronger than most vampires. But he was still considered the outcast, but after his plan went through, that wouldn’t be anymore. Everyone would obey him.

He turned back to her slowly, watching as she stared at the ground, obviously thinking about something. For a brief moment he wondered why he wasn’t torturing her, making her bleed, making her cry out for him to stop... part of him wanted to, yet another part... the annoying nagging part, was stopping him from doing so.

He couldn’t help but remember when he first met her, she had seemed so weak, but he soon thought otherwise. But after seeing her collapse and shake like that, he knew it was an act, a very well act. She was breaking on the inside, and part of him reveled in the thought that he could be the one to break her, but then there was that nagging annoying part again, wanting to just let her live her life.

"If you get hungry, there’s food in the kitchen. Help yourself." With that he left, not wanting to be in her presence anymore. It was making him think too much, and he hated thinking or dwelling on things that had no matter to him.

He walked out of the room and back into the living room where the others still were. Most of them were pure breeds, except Austin who wanted what he wanted just as much. He was half vampire, half demon. Not as bad as himself, but still torture.

"Is she going to co-operate?" Asked Austin as he sat down. Once again he ran a hand through his hair, a stupid habit. He tended to do it most when nervous, or when a lot was on his mind.

"Yeah, in return for me bringing her to the end." By end he meant the end of The Dark Lands. Austin frowned for a moment before smiling.

"You couldn’t have been telling the truth to her, could you?" He asked, slightly skeptical.

"Yeah, I was. What’s it to you?" Austin heard the hostility in his voice, and immediately backed down. He knew better than to mess with him and contradict his decisions, especially when he was in a bad mood. He took a deep breath, the plan running continuously through his head. After letting out his breath which was pointless, seeing as he didn’t have to breath, he spoke. "Clarence, check the gear, Anders make sure the blue prints are completely accurate and Colby make sure the others are going to be ready. We make our first move tomorrow night, against their first line."