When Reality Diminishes

Part one - over

The one then gave her a fang grin, causing her to pull on the stake more, but it wasn’t moving, so, hoping they would take the bluff, she yanked out the sword. The two men stopped for a second, eyed it then shrugged.

“You may have killed Danvers, but deary, that isn’t a poison blade. You could do just as much damage with your nails.” She glared the best she could, trying to hide her fear. This wasn’t fair. She was stuck with her hand part way in the ground! This wasn’t fair, she thought that when she bait she would at least be able to protect herself the best she could, but this... this wasn’t fair!

The sword may not have been real, but she could still hit them with it. And at the moment, that would be her best defence against them, until they pulled out her hand. Or until Damon got there, but a part of her told her that wasn’t going to happen... was he even still there? Or had they gone to kill the others in the house, and what he had said earlier had been a lie? Or maybe he was still there, just waiting for the right moment. She hoped it was the last one, but what she hated the most was that she was hoping Damon was still there. That she was depending on him to rescue her. Never in her life down there did she think she would be hoping for a vampire, well half vampire, to save her.

“Too bad whoever dropped her off didn’t stay, the king would pay a pretty high price for her.” She froze now, her arm going limp, the one that was still trying to pull out her hand. They would pay for her? What if Damon decided he could get what he wanted through that? She knew that vampires, or even any type of creature down there, weren’t loyal. That they didn’t hold their word... but she had been hoping Damon would at least hold his word of letting her go. But now, now she had huge doubts.

The one man was now close enough to reach for her, so when he did, she swung the plastic sword as hard as she could at his arm. It hit and he froze, probably expecting to feel some sort of sting. He, however, frowned and looked down at his arm then to the sword. After a second he burst out laughing so hard he stumbled back.

“It’s plas-“ he started, his face full of humour, but he was cut off. She didn’t see how it had happened, and she was thankful. But the next thing she knew, he was standing there with a sword through his chest, entering through the back and protruding through the chest. His eyes were wide, not all the humour out yet. Blood was pouring down his chest and gurgling out of his mouth. It must have hit the heart, because one sword wound wouldn’t have killed him.

The sword had fallen from her hands as she stared in horror as the sword was then yanked out of the body, causing him to crumple to his knees, his eyes staying on her. Blood splattered her as the sword was pulled out, bringing the urge to vomit up.

The other man, once he realized what had happened had began to pull out his sword, but he didn’t even get it out when Damon turned on him. Damons sword was swung at the mans head and she shut her eyes as quickly as possible, but her ears still caught the sounds. There was a gurgled cry, more blood hitting her face and the sound of something hitting the ground.

Now she turned her head and threw up, not being able to stand the feel of two vampires blood on her. She quickly turned to Damon who was wiping the blood off his sword onto his black clothing, he then turned to her, a sadistic smile on her face. It was then that she realized that he was one of them. He may have shown more compassion than any other, but he was still one of them. He was able to kill at a moments notice, able to not have guilt and able to have that sadistic streak that all of them had; plus the love for blood. He didn’t even seem to care that he had blood over his face, and that made him look all the more terrifying.

His pale skin was illuminated in the moon light, and the dark blood contrasted it so much. His fangs were out their full length and his eyes were half red. Blue still held most of the eyes, but around them they were turning red.

“Get this off me,” she rasped out, not even trying to hide the fear in her voice. He had just seen her throw up, she was pretty sure that nothing she did would bring back her brave demeanor. Damon was about to respond when yells broke the silence from the house. Damons head swivelled as he turned, his body ready with anticipation. He glanced briefly back at her before speaking.

“Just sit back and watch the show.”

“No!” But he was gone before she had even finished. Panic filled her again. Why did have to do that?! She felt slightly safer with him there, now that she knew that he was sticking to the plan. She didn’t want to be alone in the dark... with two corpses beside her.

Taking deep breaths she kept from looking at the bodies, until the moon reflected the one mans sword. She glanced at the house to see three more men emerging, all carrying weapons of some sort. Shit. She reached for the sword that was still in the dead mans grip. She even used her feet to push her slightly, but the stake wouldn’t budge. Her fingers were outstretched and just as her fingers brushed the handle, and hope flicked in her, a foot stomped down. She pulled her hand back as fast as possible, and her body. Her head snapped upwards to see the three men now around her; all were snarling.

“Who killed them?” Hissed the one as the other two kept scanning the perimeter. She stared at him. She had been so close to the sword! So close! When she didn’t respond he grabbed the shirt under her neck and yanked her as far as the cuffs would allow, which hurt like hell. The cuffs ripped through the glove and began to dig into her flesh, drawing blood. But the vampires eyes were already red, so that didn’t seem to effect him. “Who,” he hissed slowly, “killed them?!” She didn’t say anything. “Don’t be stupid, girl.” He growled. “I know who you are. You’re wanted, and I can make it so you get a quick death if you cooperate.” She narrowed her eyes now, some of her bravery coming back. Damon was there, he wouldn’t allow his bait to die... would he?

“Bite me.” Probably not the best thing to say to a vampire, but it was the first thing that came out. He let out a growl of anger before throwing her at the ground. No sound came out of her as her back slammed into the dirt, sending immense pain through. She had to bite her tongue from saying anything that would get her in more trouble. Where was Damon?!

“Fine, you wanna play that way, lets play.” What’s with them and playing games? First Damon said something along the lines, then him. She didn’t want to play anything with them! She just wanted them to leave her alone, was that too much to ask for? Apparently.

More yells, this time from the house. The man above her didn’t look, but the one did. That was his first mistake, his second mistake was leaving his chest open as he turned. And for the first time ever, she was glad to see Austin. She would have been happier to see him if had taken out the guy standing above her, his sword now out... but you can’t complain too much in a situation like that.

With one harsh stab through the heart, and then not waiting to see what he did, another swing to his neck with his other sword, the man was down. Austin yanked out both swords and swung the one at the other man who had turned to him. The sound of swords hitting another hit her ears hard, but not as hard as the backhand to her face. Her head slammed into the dirt and she tasted blood in her mouth.

“Who are they?!” He asked again, each word holding just as much venom. More yells coming from behind him. Getting closer. Where was Damon? Her mind was burning from what was happening. The blood, the yells, the pain... the confusion. Wasn’t Damon supposed to be out there? Why was Austin the only one fighting right then? Had they been ambushed? What about the other guys? “I asked you a question!” He yelled as he hit her again, this time on the other cheek causing her head to snap around as it turned in the direction of the hit. More blood in her mouth, more pain and more sword sounds. She now felt hatred for this man, but what she going to do about it? Use her nails like the one man had taunted her with? She didn’t even have nails, they were all short to stop from snagging on items.

“Why don’t you turn and find out yourself.” Came Austins voice. She looked over at him and then to where he had been fighting, but as soon as she did, she regretted it. Blood was everywhere. She couldn’t even make out the one body it was so mangled. Reminder to self; never get on his bad side.

The man who had been over her turned, his sword ready, but Austin didn’t strike. What was he waiting for? A standing ovation? She could practically feel the anger radiating off of each. Something then dropped down beside her and a hand clamped over her mouth. Damon. She probably would have screamed, but he didn’t have to drop down like that! He moved his hand off of her before whispering in her ear.

“Here. If you use it against me you will never get it for any other battles, got it?” He hissed as a cool handle slid into her hand. She glanced down and before she could ask, he answered. “Yes, it’s your poison one.” And with that, he was gone. The man who was talking with Austin quickly glanced back but then returned his attention to Austin.

She fingered the dagger a small hope in her. At least she could now defend herself... but did she really want another death on her shoulder? The answer was simple; no. But she wanted to get out of this alive, and from the looks of things, Damon was outnumbered. And why hadn’t he come out of hiding yet? Was he chicken?

More yells, this time closer... and a lot of them. She remembered what Jax had said earlier and quickly replayed it in her head. If Jax had been right, there would be fourteen in total. So far four were dead, that she knew about, and one was standing talking to Austin... what was he waiting for? So that meant nine were left. Including the man, ten. So that was ten verse... seven. That wasn’t too bad considering how bad it could be, but it still wasn’t in their favour. Well, if you included her it was ten verse eight. But with a hand stuck part way in the ground, she wasn’t much help.

She squinted against the darkness, she made out at least five men in the front. If they kept coming in groups they’d do fine... well, if they showed. Damon was still who knows where, and the others... the others hadn’t even done anything yet.

“So be it.” Came the one mans voice, he then raised his sword. Austin did the same and they both touched them in the center... indicating fair fight. She knew that move, she had watched her owners do it before every spare that was for amusement. Her eyes were torn away from the sword fight as the five other men reached them, all stopping. They would know the rules of the fair fight, no one was to interrupt or interfere. But when they saw her, they went over to her.

The five raced over to her, but the one in the end tumbled to the ground as Damons body landed on him; silently. He was dead within seconds and her eyes were wide. She had no idea a vampire could kill another with so much ease... and so quick. The four men followed her fearful gaze, all turning. But Damon was gone again, leaving her heart pounding even faster. She hadn’t feared him before now, he hadn’t given her a real reason to, but now she knew what even he was capable of. At least he wasn’t as gruesome as Austin though.

The four stared at the dead body that had been with them seconds ago before the one kicked her in the face. She didn’t hear a snap, but blood and pain did come. Her hands instinctively covered her face, and sure enough, another kick had come, and yells. They were a blur though. Her head was pounding and blood was covering her face. A hand wound its fingers through her hair and yanked her head back, exposing her neck.

“Who?!” Was all she caught. Did he want to know who was doing this? Or who had brought her? She didn’t much care, but a punch to the face made her care slightly more. “Where are they?” She heard that one, but even she didn’t know where. “Where?!” He yelled in her face. His face was not even a centimetre from her face. Her blood was blurring her vision as she stared up at him, but he did seem faintly familiar.

She gripped the dagger tighter as pain pulsated across her face. Why always the face?

“Where are they?” He repeated, anger in his face. Another hit to the face. More blood.

“I don’t know,” she finally hissed out. Another blow to the face, this one twice as hard. Her vision blacked for a second until another hit brought everything into clarity.

“Liar! Where ar-“ she brought her arm up fast, the dagger going into his stomach. He froze and glanced down. He sent another blow to her face, this time letting go of her hair, causing her body to be slammed back into the ground. What was with them and doing that? Her dagger followed her hand as she fell to the ground, pulling out of his body. He glared harshly at her but before he could do anything to hurt her anymore, his body began to convulse.

The other three men watched in horror as burns began to spread across his body, as blood began to seep through unharmed skin and as his eyes began to roll in his head. She watched in sheer horror. When she had killed the other man, she hadn’t watched... and she was thankful. This was horrific. But before the man had even fallen over dead, there was a yell and the man who had been standing in the back slumped to the ground... his head twelve feet away. She screamed at that.

A loud piercing scream. Blood was still spurting out of the body and the eyes on the head were facing her... looking so fear stricken and hollow that it made her vomit again, brining blood up with her.

Her face ached as did her back. But she gripped the dagger like it was her lifeline, and that it was. The two men left stood with their backs against each other, ignoring her all together. She didn’t complain, but her eyes did travel to the porch where the last four men were coming. Just make this night end. A whimper escaped her. She had been through a lot, but this was worse than it all.

Austin was still fighting the one man, each dripping from sweat. They looked evenly matched, each with only a few wounds. The man had a slash on his right arm and one on his left leg. Austin had a hit on his left shoulder blade and an attempted throat slicing scar. It didn’t look very deep though, nothing life threatening for him.

She then turned to the two men who looked like they were going to piss their pants with fright. She actually felt guilt for them, they didn’t look like horrible guys, yet they were going to die. Whether they were bad guys or not, she didn’t know... but guilt racked her. She couldn’t even do anything to help, not that she would. These men wanted her also or else they wouldn’t have been in that house.

“Come out like a man!” Yelled the one, his eyes darting back and forth, his back still against the other mans. The four men reached them in record time. Their eyes scanned Austin’s fight, the dead bodies... the still convulsing man, which she was trying not to look at, and her. The convulsing man began to let off screams making her cringe. Just die already! This was going to haunt her.

“Don’t stray out in the open, that’s how they’re picking us off.” Said the other man, his voice showing no fear. But his eyes held it. The four men all nodded, staying near one another. And near one another, they made their way to her. Why always to her? Hadn’t they realized she was just the bait so far... the very beaten up bait. She didn’t know that she would get beaten in doing this.

“Give me the dagger.” The one said, holding out his hand and bending down. He stayed far enough away to be out of striking distance, but not far enough that she couldn’t hand him the dagger.

Her eyes narrowed and she gripped it tighter, her breathing heavy. The man now glared at her, his hand still outstretched.

“Give me the dagger.” He repeated, but she didn’t move. His mouth opened and before he could respond two yells, and a shadow disappearing, caught their and her eyes. She barely caught the shadow, but she knew it was Damon. The two had been standing back to back were now also dead. The one was convulsing like the other man. He used my other dagger. The other mad had one sword, three daggers and some sort of pole protruding from his chest. His mouth was opened in a scream and his eyes were already glazed over. Her eyes shut tightly as she blocked out the one mans screams, it seemed just when the other man stopped, he started. The four men now turned back to her and before she could raise the dagger, the one man jumped on her. The one who had been asking for the dagger. He pinned her hands above her head roughly. Her one hand was at a weird angle from the cuffs, but he still had it pinned. More skin was ripped off of her wrist, and more blood left her body.

His hand wrapped around the hilt of the dagger and wrenched it from her, earning a scream from her. No! They couldn’t have it, she had no way to defend herself now. She tried moving her body, but he only put his weight down more, glaring hatefully at her.

“The venom may have no effect on you, but I’m sure a dagger through you will hurt either way.” Her eyes widened... a dagger through her would kill her. Her body struggled more as he raised it. It swung down and her eyes clamped shut, fear and suspense in her.

No blow came though. Her eyes opened to see the man on her with the dagger through his own stomach, his hand still holding the hilt. How...? Damon must have, but where was he now? The other three men seemed to be wondering the same thing.

“Where did he go?!” So they had seen him that time. Obviously the one man hadn’t been expecting that, neither had she. Why had Damon saved her? But the man still on her distracted her. Her hands were now free but he was now beginning to convulse, bleed and burn on her. She screamed repeatedly as she pushed him off with her hands and with her feet. More screams came from her as her hand brushed the one burn which felt like fire.

Her screams only stopped when the one man kicked her. Her body twisted it as it landed in a weird position. Closing her eyes tight for a moment she un twisted her body, giving her one arm a weak pull. Nothing happened of course.

She had just managed to calm her body down when something landed in her lap. Her eyes turned downwards and the loudest scream came from. There, staring up at her, was the head of the man Austin was fighting. The eyes stared up at her, wide in shock and horror. Blood coursed out of the open neck and the skin had already grown tough. Fangs were out but they seemed to be disintegrating as seconds passed. She screamed again, pushing it off. She still didn’t stop screaming even when it was off. A head had been in her lap!

Austin then turned to the three men who had turned to him. Austin smiled before waving to the one guy. At first she figured he was calling him on, he even thought so too, but then she realized he was waving goodbye. Damon was behind him, and within seconds another body fell to the ground. Now it was two verse two... and Damon didn’t even bother hiding again.

Damon begun to fight the one while Austin fought the other. Her eyes were wide as she watched Damon get many blows on the one guy. He wouldn’t give up though, not even from the third blow to his neck. But when he got the second one to his heart, he wavered, and that all it took for Damon to take a good swing at the mans neck. One more decapitation, and only one more man left alive.

Her eyes turned to Austin automatically, though she wished she could just close her eyes. Damon’s also followed. The man Austin was fighting was swinging like mad, making Austin have to dodge more than swing. Finally, after a few minutes, Damon rolled his eyes and went up behind him. She shut her eyes tightly then, but she did hear the body hit the ground.

Footsteps was what she heard next. Her eyes opened slowly and she looked up to see the bloody form of Damon and Austin. Her body was shaking, bruised, bloody and aching. Her mind was burning with all the images of the dead, all the screams of the convulsing, and she just wanted it to end.

Damon bent down by her and grabbed her wrist. Her hand was shaking as he held it, and he only glanced briefly at her face before turning his eyes back to the hand. He grabbed the cuff and snapped it off, only briefly having it agitate the raw skin on her wrist.

“Part one, over.” He said. She stared at him before her eyes rolled and everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for any mistakes, it wasn't edited.