Status: I'm just trying this. Hopefully it won't suck.

When Things Got Messy

Zayn

I looked from the judge to the jury and behind me to the crowd. This sight was way too familiar, but this time it was different. My parents had given up on me and I didn't have the best lawyer money can buy. The biggest similarity is that I was innocent, but all the evidence said other wise. I let out a shaky breath as I looked to my left and saw my "friends". At least this time I wasn't the only one on trial.

Why didn't I just stick to my plan, stay out of everyone's way and don't get involved with anyone?
Because I'm stupid that's way. If Aria would have just left me alone I would have been fine. I wouldn't be here.
Then again all I had to do was decline politely. Maybe it was really me that just couldn't stay away.

Here we were again. It was another unsuccessful summer session on a Wednesday. Why didn't they get I wasn't going to give them anything. If I talked it wouldn't be any use. I didn't need a therapist, I needed a life.

"Zayn we've been at it all summer and you still don't understand the concept of communication."

"I talk to you."

"But we aren't sharing any useful information. We don't even have to talk about your past incidents--," she started, staring at me from behind her glasses, pen and notepad in hand. She was my therapist and I hated her.

"I didn't do it! I didn't do any of it. They weren't incidents nor misunderstandings. Someone wanted to make me look guilty and you know what they did a pretty good job. They all say I'm this millennium's OJ Simpson, but that's just the thing, I really didn't do it," I said cutting her off. I was really getting tired of explaining the same thing to her every session. You would think she would actually pay attention or lest write it down. I might be mistaken but that is her job right?

"We've been through this. No one was trying to frame you. you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time or maybe--."

"I was framed. Gosh, and you wonder why I don't like talking to you," I said coldly.

"Let's just talk about something else," she said changing her facial expression. "What's on your mind?"

"I thought you were my therapist not a Facebook status," I said laughing in her face, but she didn't move. I let out a sigh, rolling my eyes a little. "Fuck you, you nosey bitch," I said.

"I really don't appreciate your malicious slurs," she said with an impatient sigh.

"I mean you asked me what was on my mind, so I told you," I said looking back at her. "But you know I don't appreciate you constantly implying I did something I'm innocent of," I said in response, looking away from her.

"Why do you even come? You obviously don't want the help and it just seems like you're wasting your time. Honestly I have no problem because I'm getting paid to deal with your horrid attitude, but why do you come? You clearly could care less."

"Because my parents think I'm crazy and could snap any day. They won't even let me stay in their house or the same town as them. They're probably too ashamed... embarrassed," I said truthfully.

"Why do you think they feel this way towards you," she asked sliding toward the end of the chair. She was falling into therapist mode. I stopped to look at her and let out a small laugh of disbelief.

"You know exactly why. This is pointless. Why would you even think to ask a question your obviously know the answer to?"

"But I really don't. I just want to understand, Zayn," she said.

"Bull shit! You know exactly what's up! All of you shrinks are the same, only want to pick your brain," I took a small pause before speaking again. "And I'm only gonna say this once so listen closely," I said getting in her face a little. "You only know what everyone thinks I did, nothing else about me. You'll never understand me and bitch don't play dumb with me. I'm going to keep coming here against my will and you're just going to have to deal with it, okay," I said in a chilling tone. All she could do was nod.
"Good," I said stepping away from her. "Well that's our session," I said checking the clock on the wall.

When she didn't say anything I started to make my way toward the door.

"I'm not scared of you," she said boldly as my hand touched the door knob.

"According to the rumors, you should be," I said without looking at her. I then proceeded to walk out of the door.

"How was your session Zayn," the fit receptionist, Cara, asked as I began to pass her desk. I watched as she bit her lip in sexual frustration.

"How do you think," I asked cooly, moving my weight to lean against her desk

"Right,' she said with a nervous laugh. "See ya around then?"

"You know my schedule better than I do," I said as I began to walk away. I was almost out the door when I felt a hand lightly tap my shoulder. I turned around defensively, expecting a threat, but I was faced with the opposite. A shorted girl with sun-kissed skin and a familiar face stood before me with a huge smile.

"Hi," she said with a tad bit more pep than I was used to.

"Uh-- hey," I said, trying to remember where I knew her from.

"Sorry, I don't mean to bother you. I don't know if you remember me, but I meant to talk to you sooner. I noticed that you haven't been back in a while," she began and she must have noticed the confusion on my face by she got on hers before she continued. "Um, I live on the same street as your aunt. Big house in the middle? We talked once when we were younger in the woods behind my house. My name's--."

"Aria," I said, remembering the small girl I accidentally frightened all those years ago.

"Yeah," she said, her eyes beginning to light up. "So you do remember me?"

"Yeah," I said rubbing the back of my neck whilst lightly biting my lip in her direction. "So what's a girl like you doing in a place like this?"

"What exactly do you mean by that?"

"Well, you seem stable enough to not have to come to a place like this. I don't really know you , but you seem to be well put together." She looked at me a laughed before answering.

"I volunteer here sometimes," she said shaking her head. "But, you don't have to be mental to come here. Some people just need a little outside help you know?"

"Yeah," I said, nodding my head. It then began to grow quiet, almost so silent you could hear our heart beats.

"So um, are you leaving at the end of the summer or what," she asked, breaking the silence.

"I'm gonna be here for a while," I said beginning to walk again, she followed.

"Oh really? Won't your parents miss you?"

"Let's just say that's the least of their problems," I said taking out a fag and lighting it up. I watched her eyes watch me as I did so. "Want one," I asked shoving the cigarette box in her direction.

"No, I can't I'm--."

"Well I'm not old enough either, not that big of a deal," I said shrugging it off.

"I was going to say I'm an asthmatic , but that's also a good reason," she said laughing before she began to slip into a coughing fit and walking a few feet away from me. I quickly threw it to the ground, putting it out. I ran to her side, not sure what to do.

"I'm sorry! I didn't know. Are you alright? Do I need to--," I began as I started to panic.

"Don't be, I'm fine. Please don't worry, just give me some room," she said, in between gasps of air, pushing me away from her. I watched her as she began to take hits of her inhaler. Soon enough her breathing began to calm down and the color returning to her skin, a smile back on her face. "Don't look at me like that," she protested.

"What do you mean, I could have killed you," I shouted, putting my hands in my pocket. She put a hand to her brow line, blocking the sun, so she could look at me.

"You wouldn't have killed me! Well maybe, but don't worry I'm used to it. All my brother's friends and my friends want to do is smoke, drink, and party. Really, I'm fine," she said, grabbing my hand and patting it to confirm.

"Are you sure," I asked, my face filling with even more concern.

"Yes, positive," she said laughing. Her laugh was so infectious that I let out a small chuckle myself. We stood there for no longer than a few seconds, but with her hand on mine and her eyes looking up at me it felt like years. I didn't know what it was, but she seemed too real. She seemed to almost be an angel and for some reason I couldn't take my eyes off of her. Her soft skin felt great against mine and I never wanted her to let go.

"Aria," I heard a voice yell. Aria and I broke eye contact to see a sleek black car pull to the side of us. "Get in," the boy yelled from the driver's seat.

"Gosh Louis, give me one second," Aria said back.

"Whatever," he said, rolling his eyes. His eyes then traveled to our hands and then up to my face. "Watch it Malik, she's too young for a boyfriend and I'd rather have a living sister than a dead one," he said slyly, his friends laughing from inside the car. Too young for a boyfriend? She looked old enough to me, she was far from a girl. She was a woman.

"What are you talking about Louis," Aria asked, her tone turning moody.

"Oh please Ari, don't act like you don't know. The whole town has been talking all summer about the boy and his past. It's the only reason he's even staying here, it's not like he can go back to his hometown," another boy, who looked like he had sex hair, said from the passenger seat. She turned to look at me, her face filled with confusion.

"Aria, just get in the damn car! And Malik, get your hands off our girl," a boy with dark hair and glasses called out from the back seat.

"I'm sorry," Aria said, ignoring them. "But I do have to go. But I'll see you around right," she said just like she did when we first met. "And don't you dare say maybe next summer, I'm not falling for that one again," she said laughing, letting go of my hand.

"Yeah, if they'll let you," I said, nodding toward the car.

"Good, and you'll have to tell me about all of these ridiculous rumors," she said giving me one last smile before walking away. My eyes started grow large, rumors was the last thing I wanted to talk to her about, but before I could respond she had already gotten in the car and pulled off.


Mistake number one had been made. Like I said before if I would have just left it alone I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be on the wrong side of the law, fighting for my freedom. I wouldn't have ended up as hurt as I am now. The truth is that if I was never involved no one would be here and one of us would still be alive. In life we do choose our battles, but in the end we all lose the war.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, okay so I've been dying to write this chapter. I'm still a little unsure about this story, but the offer for advice on somethings I need to better is still on the table. Other wise I'm kind of satisfied. Hopefully you all liked it and I'm not ruining it for you. Well thank you for reading:)

~Dani