The Mirror

Friday June 13th

“Jools?” Nathan asked. “I said are we going to do this?”
Jools looked up confused. Wasn’t she just dreaming?
She shrugged it off. She was prone to micro sleeps.
The time on the digital clock read 4:15am. They had decided on early morning because Jools’ mum would still be asleep.
“Okay,” Jools said. “Let’s do it.”
“On three…” Nathan told her. Jools nodded. “One…two…three.”
As three left Nathan’s mouth both he and Jools put their hands on the mirror. Almost at once they were consumed by the light of the mirror. It was as if they were being thrown forward. It was a perplexed journey through space and time. It was a rush. Jools couldn’t see her own feet. She raised her hand to her face. She couldn’t see it at all. What was this? This feeling? It was strange. Jools hadn’t felt anything like this before. She was feeling extremely cold and could feel frost forming in her hair and on her face. She also wasn’t feeling well. It was as if her stomach was in her throat. The travel through this gate way was also causing Jools to feel dizzy and she could tell she would need an aspirin when she got to the other side. Jools grabbed Nathan’s hand and felt his grip tighten around her hand. After about 10 seconds, Nathan and Jools stood in a small cavern. Looking around there was no sign of her dad.
“No sign of your dad,” Nathan said, as if he read her mind.
“Yeah, i noticed” she said.
Exploring the cavern, Jools found familiar things that her dad treasured, like a pocket watch that his father; her grandfather had given him, lay amongst torn bits of material in one corner of the cavern.
“He’s been here,” Jools told Nathan. “He wouldn’t just leave this anywhere.” She gestured toward the pocket watch that was hanging from the chain around her fingers.
“Oi!” a voice spoke. “Put my stuff down!!” The voice was gruff and sounded like a bad cold was on its way.
Jools turned around slowly. The man that stood before her wore what was left of a pair of pants and no shirt. His rugged beard lay just short of his chest and his hair was messy and tousled with a broken pair of glasses perched atop his head.
“Dad?” Jools said quietly. “Dad, it’s me, Jools.”
The man tilted his head to the side that his glasses were not broken and lowered them to his eyes. His face grew pale and his eyes grew wide. Tears filled Jools’ eyes as she started running towards the man and leapt at him.
“Oh Dad,” she said through her tears. “I found you. I finally found you.” Her dad hugged her tightly and was sniffing back tears himself. “Have you been here all this time?” Jools felt the man nod. She let go and stepped back slightly.
“Jools. You’ve grown up so much,” dad said, smiling at his daughter. “How’ve you been?” Jools shrugged.
“Alright I guess,” she replied.
Nathan cleared his throat behind Jools. Jools spun around. She had completely forgotten he was there.
“Dad, this is Nathan. He’s my….uhhh…” she started.
“Friend. We met through our therapy group,” Nathan introduced himself and shook the man’s hand.
“Therapy?” Dad asked.
“We have a lot to catch up on Dad.” Jools said to him.
He nodded.
“First things first though,’ Nathan said. “How do we get back? While you two were having your reunion, I’ve been touching it like we did before and nothing happened.”
“That’s impossible,” Jools protested, making her way over to the mirror herself and touching it. “He’s right though. Nothings happening.”
“I’ve been trying that for the last 2 years,” Dad put in.
“So, we’re stuck here?” Jools asked.
“Well, I haven’t found any other way out of here, and it’s been two years.”
“So, we’re stuck here?”
“Well, it’s not exactly hell,” Dad explained. “It’s a nice place wherever we are. Besides, the mirror thing, it goes other places.”
Nathan and Jools looked at each other. “What?” they said in unison.
“It goes to other places. I just couldn’t get it to find home.”
“How?” Nathan asked.
“The dial on top of the mirror, I guessed it was some type of switch. So I turned it. It took me to some place in a desert to begin with. So I’ve been exploring ever since.”
“So the dial determines where we go?” Jools asked.
Dad nodded. “Yep, pretty much.” Jools searched Nathan’s face and found nothing but a smile.
Jools put her hand to her the dial.
“Where to first?” she asked with a grin on her face.
“You mean, you’re staying?” Dad asked.
Jools nodded and looked at Nathan. “Better then the alternative?” Nathan nodded in response.
“Then off we go then,” Jools said. “But first, Dad, some clothes would be nice.”
After dressing, the three approached the mirror, and after three put their hands to the surface.
...a mosaic, a dance of broken, gleaming fragments... the light particles engulfed the trio. And they were gone.

Jools, her father and Nathan had many other adventures and came across many more fantastic things. Their journey continues.
But that’s another story.