Status: Please comment, it gives me motivation to write. <3

Chocolat

Une ;

The rich scent of creamy, fresh chocolate filled the air with an overpowering aroma. It was a new formation of the delicious treat; the combination of milk chocolate and cherries, giving it something you'd want to last longer on your tongue. With its incredible essence lingering, customers took their time strolling throughout the decently sized chocolate shop. It was a quaint, sweets shop with a lot going for it. It may not be lavish like most pastry stores or bakeries, but what it lacked in width and height, it improved in quality. At least, that is what every individual seemed to think of when they stumbled across the shop.

Dipping her finger in the fountain, the melted chocolate coated her index finger as she then brought it to her mouth. Full, plump lips invited the chocolate into her mouth, and with a slight smacking sound, the sweet was gone from the finger. Only as she savoured the taste of what she created, a harsh swack was brought to the back of her skull.

"Ow! Mamère!" A smooth, but startled voice yelped in displeasure while a throbbing sensation built up in the back of her skull, making it feel like an earthquake decided to take residence in her mind.

"Stop dippin' chor fingerz in everyting! C'oss contamination, vou silly girl." Another break in tone overlapped the startled one, but this voice was a lot more older. The female who now nursed the back of her skull only rolled her eyes in irritation. The woman who smacked her, was her grandmother, and even at the age of sixty-five she had the strength of a bull. The irritation seemed to dematerialize as a smirk came in replacement; hopefully this strength was genetic and passed down to her.

Turning her head to stare at her beloved grandmother, her facial expressions were made innocent.

"Oh don't vou give me that, vou petite fox-" She chided at her.
"'Vou know what vou did."
Bringing her wrinkled fingers up to her eyes, she pointed her index and middle at her pupils, then back to her granddaughter as if to say she is watching her. With another roll of eyes, the female just watched as her elder managed her way back to the kitchen. It was amusing to see the height difference between the two, as the old French woman stood at a small, 5'1'' frame while the other woman stood at 5'6'' -normally- but currently was raised at a 5'10'' due to the four inch heels that were placed on her dainty feet; covering the salmon painted toenails.

The ringing of a bell interrupted her thoughts as she glanced at the chocolate fountain in the center of the room, to a twenty-something woman who was freshly dressed and now in the shop. The customer took in a deep breather of satisfaction from the savory scents around, as her eyes took hold of the pastel colors of the floral wallpaper. About five glass shelves were on each wall, with different chocolates, chocolate baskets and other delicious sweets made with chocolate. The flooring was a bamboo wood, while in the center of the room stood a glass table covered in white cloth, with a chocolate fountain atop; the same fountain she had previously taken a lick from. It was changed each two weeks with a new flavor, as right now it was the cherry chocolate.

Going behind the counter to where the cashier was, she placed on her best smile and was ready to help the customer.
"How may I help you, miss?" Each word flowed in the French language to better communicate with the local woman.

It wasn't long before she understood that the customer wanted something for her sister, who just so happened to have a new child. Showing her to the basket area of the shop, the woman tried samples and even bought some cherry chocolate truffles along with coconut ones. Placing them all together, a pink bow was set on top and then off she went with a smile on her face.

Feeling someone watching her, she glanced over her shoulder to see none other than her Mamère entering the room. With the gray hair still in a bun and a sparkle in her green eyes did she manage her way towards her; she knew something was on her grand babies mind and she knew exactly what it was.
"Vou know, it is tree o'clock-"

"You mean three, Mamère."

"Shush, shush"

She smiled lightly at her grandmother.

"I can 'andle it from here, Odette. I 'zink you should see more of ze world around vou. I know vhat happened vas troobling, but cooping vourself inside 'ill not change anyting. Vour mother would vant you to live and see." Placing a tender hand on her shoulder, Odette bit on her lower lip and tried to stop any form of tears that were accumilating inside. She cried enough, and tears did little to save her from reality or take her back to before it happened.

Although it did not stop her from protesting her Mamère's wishes.

"I'll go outside when I want to."

"Ve need sugar anyvay, be ah doll and get some for moi? Mon old limbs cannot seem to do as much anymoar." Mamère's voice was sweet and delicate as she requested what she wanted from Odette. A part of her felt like it was another one of her schemes, but not willing to push herself to ask her grandmother if she did, actually, need sugar, Odette just clutched her purse from the counter beside her. The old woman had a smirk on her face as her granddaughter strolled towards the door, and looked over at her shoulder to see a bundle of sugar stacked on the shelves in the kitchen.

Much to her dislike, the chime of the sweet shop's bell signaled her way out and into the light breeze and sunny skies. Stone steps were her first form of adventure as she went down three of them, until she landed on the cobble stone streets of the small town. The clicking of heels was heard, and even though her mood was bitter her look certainly was not. It was something about Odette -no matter how awful she felt, she always made herself look presentable. Or at least for the public's' eye. At home she cracked for a while, and just found home in old pajamas and the sofa, with tangled hair and red eyes.

Not anymore though, from being in Provence, France for two weeks already, she bucked up within the second week and decided that although she might of felt terrible, her look would not be wasted as well. Sporting a pair of denim skinny jeans, gold and glittery heels and a white shirt that tied up like a corset in the back, anyone could be fooled that she was in no condition to converse.

Odette's eyes wandered around the beautiful scenery to see violet flowers growing alongside the wall of one of the many buildings, and then close by it were flowers of white. Each building had character, and such magnificent detail -it was clearly an old town but still had it's charm. Some of the buildings had different colors of rooftops or walls, with balconies that had black, iron fencing.

Running her fingers through her hair, to which held various tones of blonde, Odette tried to make herself not feel so mournful. Keeping a straight face as she walked through the streets, she watched as people converse, smile, laugh, shop for groceries and do other usual habits that occur every day. At the sight of a family, she inwardly cursed at herself for allowing Mamère to tell her to leave the shop.
Stopping in front of an art shop, she leaned against it's wall for support as her mind flushed with past events. The smooth leaves brushed against her cheek as the ivory on the wall behind her created it. With a light whisk of wind that soon fluttered about, Odette placed some of her hair behind her ear. Focusing more of her attention on her breathing pattern, she stood upright and tried to keep herself from over thinking like she has been doing for the past few weeks she has been here. What had happened back in Canada was traumatizing, but like her Mamère had stated: You cannot blame yourself for the misfortune that had occurred.

This obviously did not halt Odette's mind, but it did calm it down a little bit more than usual. "Oh yeah, she needs some sugar." Bringing herself back to the obviously false reason she was out here for, her heels clicked against the ground while she moved.

"Crafty old woman, she does not need sugar at all." Rolling her eyes, she brought them to stare at the ground while she managed her way swiftly around the traditional french town. She wanted to go back to the sweet shop, but considering that she was already out and walking around, there really was no point in going back to sulk and hide away from civilization. Instead, her inner emotions forced her to remain outdoors, when she arrives home anyway she will most likely not go outside again either. Might as well soak up the sun before you ignore it.

Instead of looking at the ground below, she looked to her side and noticed the shop and what materials it held. Art materials. Odette did not smile, but she did feel a wash of relief bestow upon her. With her heels clicking as she walked, her palms pushed on the front door to open it. The bell sounded above her head and a few locals speaking in French tongues roamed about. Each shelf held so many creative products. It drifted from cardboard's, to an aisle of yarn and sewing, to paints and water colors, and so on and so forth. A short smile heightened on her face while she walked down the aisles, drinking everything in before her.

Odette stumbled upon the sketching and drawing section, and she could not help but fall right into it. Her fair skinned hands reached out to grab different pencil types and dark to light tones until her eyes searched for an actual sketching pad. Finding a bundle of different ones, she opened a few to feel the thickness and quality of the paper. None seemed to truly satisfy her attraction, but then she noticed one near the back of the shelf -hidden between two brown covered ones. This art pad was more elegant, with a leather cover for the front and back, as the paper inside was just the right medium between thick and light.

Grabbing it along with a few pencils, two erasers, a smudge stick and a sharpener, Odette quickly went to find herself the cash register. The shop was not overly large so encountering the check out did not take long. After two people paid for their values, Odette placed her new favorites on the counter and allowed the woman to check it off and give her the price. Paying for it in full, she grabbed the small bag and headed back outside; the bell signaling her exit as it had her entrance.

Looking down and peeking into the bag, all Odette wanted to do now was draw. Closing it a bit more, her arm hung down her side as she walked and searched for the perfect spot to indulge herself in. In her little stroll, she glanced at small kid's with their parents, or older, senior citizens who were just relaxing in the afternoon light. No one, not even herself, could not stop a smile from appearing on her lips once she saw an elderly couple sitting by a small cafe, holding each others hands and talking as if they had just newly fell in love.

It was so cute. Perhaps this is why a part of her was thankful her grandmother still lived in France, because as cliche as it sounded, France was the country of romance. A breeze softly drifted through the town right when Odette found the spot she was going to sit at; a little cafe called 'Grâce délicate Claire'. Small tables were outside, while two while pillars were near either end of the cafe -quite tall- and held up under the balcony above. Maneuvering through the semi-crowded outdoor area of the eatery, Odette swept through the doors and breathed in the fresh scent of pastries and rich coffee.

Finding an empty seat near a large window, she placed her bags beside her and glanced out the window only to be cut short from the view by a waiter.

"Hello miss, may I get you anything?" He asked in his native tongue.

"A green tea and a toasted biscuit with butter will suffice, thank you." He wrote her order down on a padded paper, and then scuttled away to tend to it. Leaving her alone in peace once more, the young woman reached into her bag and grabbed out the new sketchbook along with a pencil. Her nose could smell the fresh smoothies being made, along with more bread being gathered together and heated up. Her stomach growled.

Her cheeks tinted pink, hoping no one had heard; so embarrassing.

Trying not to focus on any type of food, Odette just picked up her new pencil and began to draw. The lines started out as just lines, until slowly they began to flow and shift together, creating an image all on it's own. Glancing from under her lashes, she could still see the elderly couple outside in plain view. Slowly but surely she had their full figures draw, as she started to work on the the rest.

The waitor had came back with her food, along with the the check for her payment. Usually they just leave, but she felt his shadow there dwindle a bit longer -obviously peeking over at what she was doing. Not saying anything to him but only just focused in on what she was doing, he finally let her be as Odette started on the facial expressions. In the paper, she was trying her hardest to mimic the beautiful ray of emotions in the couples eyes. Wrinkles creased around each of their foreheads and near their noses, but the light of love she could see reflecting in their gazes were mesmerizing; something she really wanted to capture.

Odette only ever, truly, felt peace while she engaged in art. She was never a sports fan exactly; the most she had done for sports was gymnastics. She was terrible at soccer, rugby made her bones ache, skating was hazardous to not just herself but those around her. So, she stuck to gymnastics with a private instructor. Never went into competitions even though they always insisted; Odette was far too shy for that.

Surprisingly her sketch was finished, and with a grin to herself, she quickly jotted her initials down onto the right hand corner of the paper, and then let go of the pencil itself. Looking at her biscuit, she reached over and brought it to her mouth in order to finally make her loud stomach shut up. With a little bit of it left, Odette went to take a sip of her tea to wash down the food but her actions were paused.

A chorus of shivers swept through her body making her eyes widen to the size of golf balls. It was as if she was frozen; nothing but an ice sculpture. It was nothing to do with a health reason that caused this, no, it was a voice. The most beautiful voice she has ever heard. How could one describe such a thing is near impossible, as it was full of allure -deep and masculine, but not enough to cause utter intimidating. It was the sort of voice girls only dreamed about hearing whisper their name; the kind of voice that would guide you to a bedroom and bring you into ecstasy not to soon afterwards. Something with complete charm.

Odette just stared at the top of her table and hardly moved. Why was she so taken with the sound? Curiosity got the better of her and she just had to know the owner of such an echo, so she craned her neck a little until she could see the counter where employers took food requests. All she could see was a number of people -how would she know where the voice came from? Did she dream it?

She scowled at herself. Was she that desperate for an escape from reality that her mind actually manipulated a voice for her to listen to-- it came again. Narrowing her eyes and squinting at the crowd, she hardly could see anything that would hold such a wonderful voice. Sighing at her silly actions, Odette finished her tea, placed her payment and tip on the counter, then gathered her things.

Holding her sketchbook in her hand, the rest of it went straight in her purse. Walking back into the daylight and the summer air, Odette did not know exactly what to do next, or even where to go. She went to take a glance at the old couple only to see that they have gone now. Right as Odette went to take a swift, right turn, a sudden impact caused her to lose her balance. Dropping her sketchbook, her body tumbled backwards and she was just bracing herself for the harsh landing except it never seemed to arrive.

Her eyes were shut tightly. Too scared to move, her free, right hand reached out in order to touch whatever was holding her up. Suddenly her cheeks flamed a bright red when she felt some sort of fabric that housed, definitely, a very impressive frame. Embarrassed, Odette finally decided to see who was holding her up and who she was groping by accident.

Holy shit.

Her eyes went wide and her breath hitched into her throat once she saw the owner of the arms that kept her from falling. She drank in the strong jawline that gave this stranger a very masculine tone, proving that he was very much male. Almond shaped eyes kept the most intense sapphire that some would probably only claim Photoshop could create. His lips were smooth in appearance and seemed very inviting; he almost looked sculpted -his entire face looked sculpted. His lower lip was only slightly more plump than the top, while his hair was touched with style, looking as if he just came from the salon; short, but enough that he could play around with it or run his fingers through.

Is she meeting a Calvin Klein model? Abercrombie and Fitch? A damn Greek God, for heaven's sake?!

Oh God, she probably looked like an idiot. Not moving, talking, or doing anything, just hand on his chest and her eyes wide staring at his face. Her pink cheeks went even more red; she most of looked like a complete fool. Obviously he must have noticed this, because before she even could let a word past her lips, his nicely shaped eyebrow arched and suddenly a smirk brewed out on his mouth.

"You know, if you like what you see, you didn't have to make a fool out of yourself to catch my attention."

Odette almost choked on her own tongue.

What did he say?!

He did not just say that.

Her jaw went slack and dropped a little, causing him to chuckle and shake his head twice -his smirk only deepening and his confidence overriding his entire soul. No way would she ever admit that his chuckle caused her to melt inside, even worse, his voice was the one she had heard.

"My, my, so taken with my physical appereance arn't you? Poor thing, you probably also do not even understand a single thing I am saying."

Finally she snapped her jaw shut and glared.

Swatting her hand away from his chest, she pushed him away from her and grabbed her sketchbook from the ground. No matter how gorgeous this guy seemed to be, his attitude was clearly six feet underground.

"I beg your pardon, but I understand you perfectly fine."

His smirk deepened more. Ugh, how intolerable! Look at him standing there, all proud of himself and boasting. Taken with his look he says! Well, perhaps the last bit was true but she'd rather bite off her tongue than ever admit such a thing. God, she could tell he definitely had his fair share of women then.

"Ah, so she speaks, and in English."

Odette's eyes darkened. Her body went tense while she clutched her book in her left hand; the world around her seemed like a blur right now.

"And she can tell you that she'd rather drown than look at your face again, thank you very much. Now goodbye." Turning right on her heel, she swept in the direction of where home was considering her mood was now definitely not good enough to want to roam about anymore. Odette felt a bit more prideful of herself because she had the last word, that was until that beautiful, baritone voice almost sang from behind her to make sure she did not have the last sentence at all.

"Just watch your step there, would not want to fall over again, now would you?"

Pausing for a moment with her fists clenched, her back facing that arrogant asshole, Odette huffed but then carried on walking. There was no point in even supplying him with a response because he would just ruin it anyway.

The entire time she was walking away, she could feel his gaze and other gazes chasing after her. Some females sighed in the direction she knew he was standing, but she just rolled her eyes. What a bastard; a conceited, snide, vile man. If she had enough in her, Odette would probably go back and just smack him upside the head, but she was far to decent to do that. Besides, that would only show him that he got to her and that would not do at all.

Carrying on with her angry thoughts, Odette walked past the familiar flowers alongside one of the building walls until her Mamère's house and shop came into view. Before she dared to begin up the stone steps to the door, she happened to glance down at her arm from where he had been touching her. Her cheeks flushed again and she cursed under her breath. No! No more blushing! Mentally slapping herself, the young woman scoffed and made her way into the sweet shop.

Her Mamère must have known she had entered, because suddenly the full of life old woman almost bounced into the room.

"And 'ow vas tha' day my dear?" A wild smile perched on her lips but soon melted when she saw the dark look on her granddaughters face. Not even getting a chance to say anything, Odette parading herself towards the backdoor to the kitchen and then to the stairs that led to the actual home above.

Her grandmother then just stood there having a puzzled look on her face.

"Was she dat angry at going outside?"