‹ Prequel: Want You Back

Pregnancy Tests and Confrontations

Two

Jimmy watched as Shawn headed toward him. He wasn't nervous. Just curious. He climbed out when Shawn approached. “Yeah?”

“What are you doing here Howard?” Shawn asked gruffly.

“I fucked up. And I'm making sure I can fix it.”

“And if you can't?” Shawn questioned.

“Then I'll make things easier. At least, I'll try to.” Jimmy admitted.

“Let me tell you something. I can almost guarantee you won't be able to fix it. There is a high probability that you got her pregnant. Again. And the fact that you think you'll be able to fix it shows just how much you have to learn. Give me a break. Fix it? How about just owning up to shit for once.” Shawn sighed, clearly agitated.

“Listen,” Jimmy leaned against the car. “I fucking know what I did. And I have owned up to it. You want to give me a lecture? Why don't you ask Greg why he's pushing his feelings for Carrie without having told her about Katie?” Shawn looked stunned. “You've been around long enough to know that there are no secrets between hockey players. He's been dating Katie for what, 12 years now? They're actually engaged aren't they?”

“Jimmy...” Shawn started, his voice strained.

“I enjoy how Greg stands here thinking he's so much better than me when he's not. I am not married anymore. I didn't cheat on my wife with her, I didn't make her the “other woman”. But Greg? I wonder how long he could go without telling Carrie about his fiancee.” Jimmy sneered.

“You don't know the whole story.” Shawn said in a low voice, trying to avoid a scene.

“Then tell me. Because I sure as hell don't understand.” Jimmy snapped.

“You two need to talk. Greg can explain.”

Jimmy laughed. “God, I'd love to hear that explanation.” Shawn sighed. How he'd ever gotten dragged into this mess, he couldn't remember. He wasn't sure what to say to Jimmy. He couldn't lie. Jimmy knew. “That's what I thought.”

“I don't know what you plan on doing. But if you hurt her in any way...” Shawn threatened.

Jimmy's eyebrows rose. “Point taken.” He replied and watched as Shawn started down the street. Hesitantly, he pushed himself up off the car and slowly made his way up to the steps to Carrie's apartment. Before he could raise his hand to knock, the door was thrown open by Carrie.

“How did I know you were going to be there?” She sighed. “What are you still doing here?”

“I need to know.” Jimmy admitted, although the fact she wouldn't make eye contact with him was answer enough. “You are, aren't you?”

“Jimmy....”

“Let me be there. Please. Just... let me help.” He pleaded.

“Jimmy!” She snapped and Jimmy stopped. “I won't know for certain until I go to the doctor. But... yes, the test was a positive.”

“Carrie...” Jimmy started but paused when he saw the look on her face.

“I'll be fine Jimmy.” She put on her brave face which he'd seen too many times. “I'll... let you know when I find out for sure.”

“Let me stay.” He said, searching her face for any sign of acceptance.

“I can't Jimmy.” She replied, her voice getting quieter. Part of her wanted Jimmy to stay, knowing the comfort he'd bring her. The other part? Wanted him gone. Wanted him on the other side of the planet. Ever since she'd gotten back to Boston, she'd thought about the difference between college and now. The biggest difference? She wasn't alone.

“Carrie...” Jimmy stepped closer, reaching out and taking her hand in his. “Let me stay.”

She sighed, tears, again, threatening to fall. “Please Jimmy...” She was begging him now. If he asked again, she wouldn't be able to say no. “Please leave.” She was now talking so quietly, he wasn't sure he'd heard her right. “Jimmy...”

He watched as she tried to keep herself together. To not break down in front of him. To keep up the front she'd been holding. “Alright.” Jimmy finally said. “I'm not leaving town though. You know where to find me.” He told her. He placed a hand under her chin and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

He started to turn away when he felt a tug on his hand. As he turned back toward her, he found her lips on his. Not thinking twice, he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her flush up against him. Her kisses were frantic, searching. He matched every movement, backing her into the foyer and up against the wall.

He managed to kick the door shut while keeping his full attention on Carrie. He felt like he was in college again, meeting in her dorm room. “James...” She moaned and he paused. She hadn't called him James in that way for a long time. It was always his cue that she was turned on and ready. He placed his hands under her thighs and held her against the wall while she wrapped her legs around his waist.

He pulled away slightly to look at her. Her breathing was heavy and she had her eyes closed. “Carrie...” He said softly. She slowly opened her eyes, trying to calm her breathing. “I don't want... are you sure?” He wasn't sure how to phrase the question.

Without saying a word, Carrie clasped her hands behind his neck and pulled him close. “Don't make me regret this.” She said quietly and Jimmy immediately attached his lips to hers, picking her up and taking her to the bedroom.

************************

“Greg... We have a problem.” Shawn said, standing in the doorway to Greg's apartment.

“What could possibly be worse than Carrie being with Jimmy?” Greg sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“Katie.” Was the only word Shawn said before Greg pulled him into the apartment. “Jimmy knows about Katie.”

“But Katie and I aren't...” Greg started to lie but stopped when he saw the look on Shawn's face. “Fuck!”

“I told him he needed to talk to you about it. I'm not getting involved in that one.” Shawn said, pausing as he heard movement coming from the other room. “Jesus Christ Greg.” He muttered quietly. “She's here isn't she?”

Greg didn't say anything as Katie walked into view. “Shawn! How are you?”

“I've been better Katie. But thanks for asking.” Shawn bit out. “Greg, can I talk to you outside?” He asked before noticing what was in Katie's hands. “What are the cookies for Katie?”

“Greg's friend Carrie. He's told me all about her.” She replied, smiling.

“Probably not the best time. Jimmy's over there at the moment.” Shawn told them.

“He's over there now?!” Greg was now angry.

“Not that it should matter much to you but... yes, he is.” Shawn was desperately trying to keep his composure. He wasn't sure he'd ever been in such a mess. “And if I can guess about what is happening, you won't like it.”

“She wouldn't let him stay.” Greg muttered, trying to convince himself that it was the truth.

“You know how she is with Jimmy. And now that she's pregnant with his kid? Don't be surprised if she up and moves to Detroit sometime soon.” Shawn replied indifferently. He pulled Greg off to the side and lowered his voice. “I care too much about Carrie to see her get hurt by either of you. So, for now on, I am staying out of this. You want to be better than Jimmy? Tell her about Katie. Before Katie tells her. And...” Shawn paused, thinking of the best way to word what he was going to say next. “Don't be a dick to Jimmy. He's cemented himself back in her life whether you like it or not. You can either accept he's going to be around more often and going to be a bigger part of her life or... you can let her go.”

“I'm not letting her go.” Greg stammered, watching as Shawn's eyes flicked toward Katie. “I'm not with Katie.”

“Then you better let Jimmy and Carrie know that before someone gets the wrong idea.” Shawn said.

“Shawn, before you leave!” Katie commented. “Take some cookies home to your wife.” She rushed back into the kitchen to grab some. Shawn gave Greg a scathing look which Greg returned. As Katie handed over the cookies, Shawn caught a glimpse of Katie's hand. “That's a beautiful ring Katie.”

“Greg picked it out himself.” Katie answered, glowing.

“Oh did he?” Shawn now had every right to give Greg the look he was currently giving him. “Good choice. You know what Katie, you probably should take those cookies over. Carrie would appreciate them.”

Greg couldn't believe what Shawn had just suggested. “You think so?” Katie asked Shawn.

“Yeah. And you get to meet Jimmy. He and Carrie are going to have a kid together. It's a good chance for you to meet Greg's best friend.” Shawn said. “Thanks for the cookies. I'll see you at the rink tomorrow Greg.” And before Greg could make a comment, Shawn had walked out the door.

Katie immediately moved toward the door, grabbing her coat. “Where are you going?” Greg asked her.

“Taking these cookies over.” Katie replied innocently.

“Are you sure that's a good idea?” Greg seemed concerned.

“Why wouldn't it be?” Katie was now confused.

“Well... Shawn said Jimmy's there. What if they're... busy?” Greg didn't want to think that way.

“Well then, they won't answer will they?” Katie played it off as a joke. She couldn't understand why Greg didn't want her going over there. “Is there a reason you don't want me to go over there?”

“No. I just don't want you to go over there and then get upset when they don't answer the door.” Greg sighed.

“Don't worry.” She replied, giving him a kiss. “I won't.” She didn't wait for a response before heading out the door.

************************

Jimmy laid there, watching Carrie sleep. It was the one thing he'd always loved doing. They always said people looked most innocent when they slept. Carrie... was no exception. The woman laying beside him was the women he'd fallen in love with. That was the one thing he was sure about.

He softly placed a hand over her stomach, nerves wracking his body. This was not what he'd planned. He knew Carrie would do it on her own but he didn't want that. He wanted to be a part of her life. Of this child's life. Which meant he had to do everything in his power to keep her where she was. And he had to do it without forcing her to stay with him.

As he laid there, he heard a knock on the door. He carefully pulled himself out of bed, pulling on his tee-shirt and headed for the door. Opening it, he found a petite blonde standing there, cookies in hand. “Can I help you?” Jimmy asked quietly.

“I'm Katie. Greg's fiancee. I was just bringing over some cookies. I didn't wake you, did I?” She seemed concerned.

“It's fine. And thank you.” Jimmy answered, taking the cookies from her.

“I heard the news. Congratulations.” She smiled.

“Thank you. Although... we haven't told anyone.” Jimmy was now confused.

“Oh? Shawn told us Carrie was pregnant.” Katie replied, now looking over Jimmy's shoulder.

Jimmy turned to find Carrie standing behind him. “Jimmy?”

“You must be Carrie. Greg has told me so much about you.” Katie said, extending a hand. Jimmy's eyes widened. What was about to happen would look like a train wreck. You don't want to watch but you can't take your eyes off of it. “I'm Katie. Greg's fiancee.”

“Greg's... what?” Carrie stammered.

“Fiancee. He didn't tell you?” Katie asked, now disappointed. “I thought... I figured he would have told you. After all, he considers you his best friend.”

Carrie felt like she was suckerpunched. Greg had a fiancee. A fiancee he didn't tell her about. “It must have slipped his mind.”

“I'll have to say something to him. You seem shocked. Are you okay?” Katie asked.

“Yeah... no. I don't know. It's hard to take in. You think you know someone and then something like this happens.” Carrie muttered. “It was nice meeting you Katie.” She then excused herself, hurrying toward the bathroom, feeling sick.

“We'll see you around Katie.” Jimmy said before hurrying after Carrie. “Carrie?”

“Bathroom.” She called back to him. He pushed the door open to find her sitting next to the toilet, arms wrapped around her knees. “Did she just...” She was trying to wrap her head around the conversation that had just taken place.

“Carrie...” Jimmy sat down, indian style, across from her. He motioned for her to get closer and she crawled right into his lap. “I'm sorry. I know it must be a shock.”

She looked up at him, eyes filled with tears. “Why is it the people I trust the most always hurt me? You, Greg...” She stopped, the tears finally spilling over and running down her cheeks. “I feel so alone.” She whispered.

Jimmy quickly wiped away her tears, placing a gentle kiss on her lips. I didn't have an answer for her. He had hurt her badly. And now Greg? She was going to stop trusting people. “I know I will never be able to convince you to forgive me for what I did. I'm going to do everything in my power to earn your trust back. I'm going to be here every step of the way.”

“Jimmy...”

“I'm not kidding Carrie. I will be here. I will earn your trust back.” He took her face in his hands. “I love you so much. And it kills me to see you hurting the way you are. But I have never been so sure in my life. I want to be here. With you.” She buried her head in his chest as he rubbed her back, crying herself to sleep.

************************

“You didn't tell Carrie about me?” Katie asked as she walked back into Greg's apartment. “How come?”

“Did you just...?” Greg was horrified. There was the leverage Jimmy so desperately needed. He was certain Jimmy was there, consoling Carrie. Telling her he'd be there for her.

“I figured you would have told her. After all, you told me you tell her everything.” Katie hung her jacket up on a hook by the door and slipped her boots off. “She seemed... shocked. Hurt even. I can't imagine. I'd be upset if I was in her position too. Pregnant with the child of a guy who broke up with you, the same guy who married the person he was seeing behind your back when you dated him in college? And then, thinking your best friend is honest with you only to find out they have a fiancee you were never told about. She's had it really shitty these last few days, hasn't she?”

“You have no idea.” Greg muttered, angry at himself for letting this get to where it was.

“If I didn't know better, I'd think you didn't tell her because you have feelings for her. But... you're engaged. You love me. Don't you?” Greg looked up to see the hurt in Katie's eyes.

He crossed the room and wrapped her up in a hug. “Of course I do. Please don't ever think otherwise.”

“Good.” She said, placing her lips on his. He matched her actions, pulling her close. She glanced over his shoulder at the clock. “Let's go to bed.” She suggested before pulling him toward the bedroom. He allowed himself to be led, trying to push the last few days out of his mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally a new update :)