Status: on hold. i have chapters written but not enough feedback so i'm thinking it through.

Only lonely & ***ed up

Is this real life?

It was a Friday night, a little bit past 7 o’clock and Anna was admiring her nail polish: a Tiffany’s box shade of green when her phone chimed signaling a new message.

Gabi
What are you doing in this fine evening? Text me back right now.


Anna
Nothing much… Nothing, really. Why?


Gabi
You’re going out clubbing or something with us tonight. Get ready.


Anna
But I don’t dance, Gabi. Don’t make me do it, please!


Gabi
Stop whining and go get ready. Or else.


Anna
Okay… Text me the address and I’ll see you guys there.


Gabi
Have I mentioned John lives like 2 blocks away from you? So, yeah… He’s picking you up and I gave him your number, so he’ll be calling you shortly. Be nice!


Anna
Great...


And as soon as she finished sending the text her phone buzzed in her hand and a number she didn’t know flashed through the screen. Taking a deep long breath, Anna answered it, “Hey”

“Um… Hey… Is that Anna? It’s John.” God, his voice was just as beautiful as him.

“Yeah, it’s me. Hi, John. How are you? What’s up?” Anna said, facepalming herself seconds later. What on earth was she thinking going with a ‘what’s up?’. That was really lame.

“I’m ok. What about I pick you up in an hour or so and we go grab something to eat before we meet up with the guys?” John answered.

“That’s awesome. So I’ll se you later…” She said.

“Hey, um,” He laughed lightly, “How can I pick you up if I don’t know your address?” John questioned.

Anna’s cheeks were burning red. Good thing John couldn’t see that. She told him the directions and said, “If you get lost, just call me. But it’s pretty easy to find it, we have a big blue front door! Bye.” And with that she went crazy running through the house. “Mom! Mom! I’m going out with John tonight. I’m flailing! I don’t know what to do with myself.”

Her mother laughed softly and said, “Sweetheart, just be yourself. He’ll like you and if he doesn’t, his loss. Now go get ready and stop worrying. Just have fun.”

Grace was at the living room while it happened and followed her sister to her bedroom. “You better lose this awkward act right now, girl! And be nice and actually put some effort to talk with him, ok? Do you want me to help you pick an outfit?”

“You’re making me more nervous, Grace, go away, please. I’ll manage just fine.” Anna said running her fingers through her hair.

“I don’t need that attitude, miss. But please do wear something nice, like something tight or show some cleavage! And heels, don’t forget the heels!,” Grace laughed as her younger sister tried to throw a pillow at her, missing by a few inches.

Anna hurried through her bedroom, taking a quick shower and rummaging through her closet, picking up a pair of plain blue jeans, a white blouse and she grabbed a polka dot blazer, because she didn’t know where exactly they were going and she wanted to look more polished if the place was fancy or something.

She was feeling good about her appearance and most of all she felt comfortable in her own skin. She wouldn’t dress up for this guy, she wanted him to know her for who she really was… She wouldn’t dress or act differently, tricking him into liking her then next thing he knows she’s the exact opposite of what he thought and things would go sour.

When her phone ringed, John’s name was flashing (after calling her the first time, she saved his contact information on her phone) and she picked up. “Hey, John”

“Hey, Anna. I think I’m outside your house, at least I hope it is,” he chuckled.

“Okay. Be right there.” She said with a smile on her face.

Making her way to the front door, Anna kissed her mother’s forehead and said goodbye to both her father and sister as well. Taking a last deep breath, she opened up the door and there he was, leaning on a white pickup truck.

If that was possible, John looked even better looking than Anna remembered. He was wearing a tight black pair of jeans, a simple black long sleeved shirt with the cuffs rolled up (and she noticed for the first time, he had tattoos on his collarbones and chest) and a pair of boots. Simple, yet amazing.

When she made her way to him, they said hi to each other, hugged and both kissed the other one on the cheek. Anna then noticed how tall he was – in comparison to her tiny 5’2” frame, he was a giant. He helped her get in the car and she was enthralled by his action.

He quickly went to the driver’s side and turned on the truck. “It was nice of you to offer to pick me up, if it was the other way around, I think we may not survive the trip to wherever we’re going right now.” Anna said with humor in her voice. “Oh, I’m just a terrible driver, that is. Not really reckless and crazy but I do drive slowly and then I get all the honks and start to panic and it goes that way downwards…”

He smirked and then that crystalline laugh she heard the first time she saw him came from his thin lips, he was looking her in the eyes then quickly turned away back to the streets.

“It’s only fair you talk about yourself right now. I’ve just embarrassed myself here.” Anna said.

John asked, “What do you want to know?”

“I don’t know… anything and everything you may want to say?” Anna began. “Like, catch my drift here… I’m boring as hell, you know? I’m starting my last semester at ASU in the fall and I’m majoring in Management and Accounting. I’m not working – no one seems to want to hire me”

John seemed really interested in what she had to say, even though she, herself, said she was boring (and she definitely knew if he told someone that, she would get her ass kicked by Gabi).

“My name’s John Cornelius O’Callaghan and I’m the fifth John in my family, the name goes from father to son. Tradition…” John looked at Anna to see her reaction. She was smiling. Then he continued, “I attended ASU as well, but just for a short time… Do you like music?”

“I think I do, listening to it, I mean… Why?” Anna answered.

“Well, you see, music is not only a hobby for me but it is also what I do for a living. I’m in a band called The Maine, I sing, write the songs, play a little guitar and piano…” John said.

“That’s really nice. I don’t think I’ve ever heard you, but I believe it must be really good.” Anna said.

“We so happened to be releasing our next album in a few weeks time and we’ll be headlining a tour through the US for the first time as well for the next few months…” John said.

“Oh. So you’ll be really busy for a while…” Anna was lost in her thoughts.

“Pretty much. But you do what you have to do when it’s about the things you love, right?” He said with a smile on his face. “And we’re here. I didn’t know what you liked, so I hope that’s ok…”

John smiled and led her to the entrance, guiding her with a hand in the small of her back. It was a small Italian restaurant, with an extremely nice feel to it and nothing too fancy.

In the meanwhile they were at the restaurant, they got to know each other better. John was very outspoken, really smart, he had an opinion about anything and everything. Just like Anna. They talked so much they lost track of time. Anna losing her train of thought in the cute little freckles on the bridge of John’s nose.

That until John’s phone buzzed on the table. “Kenny just texted me saying they’re arrived at this club, so… I think we should head out to meet them?” John asked.

Anna nodded, secretly wishing they wouldn’t have to move, they paid for the meal, her insisting in paying for her part, and the both of them stand up and made their way out.

It was a relaxing drive until they get to the place. She asked him, “Do you know if there’s going to be more people there or is it just us?”

“I don’t know for sure, but why is that?” John asked.

“It’s been a while since I hangout with Gabi and I don’t think I’ve met Kenny before. And I’ll be awkward around them because they’re a couple and all. I don’t know. It’s stupid, right?” Anna rambled.

“Kind of, yes.” John laughed. “But Kenny is a cool guy, he’s one of my best friends, you’ll like him. And they won’t be all over each other, at least I hope not, I don’t like watching it either.” He said.

Turned out it was just the four of them. They talked a lot, Gabi drank a few beers, while the other three decided not to. John and Kennedy because they were driving back home and Anna just because she didn’t like much or feel like it.

“I need to go to the restroom, would you go with me?” Gabi asked Anna.

Anna nodded and there they went. As soon as they were out of the table’s hearing, Gabi asked, “So, what do you think of him?”

“I like him very much. He’s really fun to talk to, really nice overall, but I still think he’s like too much for me. Way outta my league, Gabi.” Anna said truthfully.

Gabi nodded but didn’t say anything in response.

Anna was left thinking to herself, until John stand up and was at her side with his hand out. She promptly took it in hers and weighed him down, as if she was capable, so he would sit beside her. She didn’t dance… At all. And as much as she wanted to be as close to him as possible, at the same time she didn’t want to be someone she was not just to please him.

Gabi took that as an invitation and dragged John to the dancefloor while Kenny and Anna had small talk. By the time John and Gabi got back, she was a bit tipsy. But the four of them still talked, this time about the guys’ tour.

“I can’t believe you guys are staying just for a few weeks and then releasing an album and touring the US for months. I’m going to miss you so much, baby. And John, you’re going to celebrate your birthday without me, that’s so not cool, man”. Gabi slurred a bit.

“What’s the date? Your birthday, I mean?” Anna asked John.

“August 4th.” He said plainly.

“We turn 22 at the same week then. That’s really odd.” Anna said with a smile.

“You know what’s odd? Ratboy is.” Kennedy said laughing out loud.

“What is a Ratboy?” Anna asked puzzled.

“It’s just our drummer, Pat, he has this alter ego. It’s hilarious. You should check him out on youtube or something, just type ratboy the maine and you’ll find it. It will blow your mind.” John said with that gorgeous smile of his.

They talked a bit more and Kenny said pointing to Gabi, “Hey, guys, it’s time for me to take this one here home. She’s sleeping standing up. How cute!”

Anna kissed them both goodnight and said, “Yeah, I don’t want to mess with John’s schedule tomorrow”.

John hugged his friends and walked closely to Anna back to his truck.

On the way home, John asked, “If it was you taking me on a date, where would you take me?”

“Probably to watch some movie and then we’d go eat pizza and then ice cream. Although I’m not sure you could handle dessert. I don’t think your stomach has enough space.” Anna said pointing to him.

He laughed and looked at her for a bit longer.

“Hey, I’ve been meaning to ask you something but I didn’t want to be creepy or anything...” John nodded as if he said ‘go ahead’ and Anna continued, “I saw your ink through your shirt, what are those words near your collarbones?”

“These are Unus Amor. One love.” John answered pointing to his skin.

“I like it” Anna said with a grin.

“Isn’t weird we have never met before?” John asked while Anna nodded her head looking at him.

They were comfortably silent and Anna couldn’t help but to stare at him. She tried her hardest to memorize all of the details about him, from the god sculpted jaw to those beautiful long fingers that tapped away to the faint sound of the radio.

“I like this song. Who’s singing?” Anna asked looking at John.

“Ryan Adams, don’t you know him?” John incredulously asked.

“Just by name, I guess. Which album should I listen to first?” Anna asked.

“I’d say Cardinology, it’s amazing.” John said.

She thought the night went good, but she couldn’t help feeling an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. She didn’t want the night to end, but, too soon, she was faced with the house with the big blue front door.

“I had a really good time today. I hope we can see each other again… I’ll call you.” John said and Anna blushed.

“Yeah, me too. Thanks for everything. It was fun.” Anna said kissing him on the cheek and exiting his car, waving at him when she got to the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit.

This is the most exciting chapter so far!

As always, comments are very much appreciated.

Special thanks to iplaywow, useyourtelescope and taylorkelsiemiles for commenting and to those who subscribed :)