Status: on hold. i have chapters written but not enough feedback so i'm thinking it through.

Only lonely & ***ed up

All my wishful thinking was wrong

Anna woke up feeling her heart flutter in her chest and her hopes were renewed. She didn’t mind telling and retelling how the night before went to her mother, sister and friends who were eagerly calling in the afternoon. She felt good and she wanted to cherish it.

She waited for his call.

She heard one of her guy friends telling her some time ago that it usually happens on the third day following the date.

But then the third day came and went with no call.

The fourth one and nothing.

And then the fifth. Nothing again.

On the sixth, she gave up.

~~~~~~

If she was to make a list containing everything she has ever wanted in a guy she was romantically involved with, John not only met all the criteria but certainly overlapped said list. But with the girl’s luck, she already knew things would go sour despite her heart desiring it to be the opposite.

She didn’t want to dwell any more on the misfortune of meeting the perfect guy and him slipping through her hands. She talked with her parents, they urged her to do something, assuring her mother had company in the chemo sessions while she was away.

After one quick phone call to her friend Lucy, who lived a few towns over, she packed a bag and was on her way.

~~~~~~

Anna hugged her best friend tightly when she arrived. Lucy was waiting by the steps on her front porch. They met on the first day of middle school when Lucy introduced herself to Anna and they became inseparable until the start of high school when Lucy’s father was relocated to another city. The girls resorted to many phone calls and even letters to keep in contact when they were away so they never spent much time without talking to each other, but there were several times where they couldn’t travel around and see each other much.

The time the two girls spend together was always filled with lots of junk food, silly shows and mindless talk. On the first day at Lucy’s house, Anna said, “I wish people came with a feedback form or something! I’d love to know what I did wrong with that boy so I’d fix it up or just forget about him already!”

Lucy laughed heartily at her friend’s choice of words and demanded an as accurate as possible version of the date. As soon as Anna finished, Lucy asked, “Can I see him? I really want to see this guy, he has you around his finger! It’s so weird!”

Anna got her laptop from her bag and placed in Lucy’s bed and she typed The Maine on google and all the information came to view. Lucy laughed out loud at the pictures, “Please tell me he doesn’t look like THAT!”, pointing to one.

“Oh, no, I haven’t seen these. Looks like is not even him! But I can assure he got a haircut and wasn’t wearing silly baggy shirts when I saw him, at least.” Anna said.

“Oooh! He sings and they’re releasing a new album in about a week? That’s kinda big, isn’t it?” Lucy asked.

“From what I’ve heard from him they have a pretty good following and this will be a major release for them. But I didn’t have a clue it was this close… Maybe that’s why he didn’t call?” Anna tried to assure herself that was the issue why John never bothered to call her as he said he would.

While browsing through pictures and blog posts, Lucy made a mental note to remember the album’s release date so she could gift Anna with a copy and then the John subject was dropped for a while.

~~~~~~~

Lucy made sure she could do everything in her power to make Anna better, not just for the ‘heartbeak’ but for everything else that was happening at home and school. She took care of Anna and took her out to see different things and people.

They made plans for later in the year, when the both of them would graduate from college, two weeks apart from each other. Since Anna’s graduation on the last one, Lucy would stay for a few days and they would try to get together with friends from middle school and they would reminisce on the good old times before it was time for Christmas and New Year celebrations.

~~~~~

Lucy was startled when she heard Anna squeal from her bedroom and asked, “Annie, what’s wrong with you?”

“I just got a job interview!!!” Anna answered excited.

“Aw, that’s so great! I’m sure this will be the one, I can just sense it!” Lucy said.

“Let’s pray this one works. At least now someone put on a good word for me. Fingers crossed!” Anna said.

“So when are you leaving me?” Lucy asked pouting.

“Next week. Apparently Tim – that’s my boss-to-be’s name – is out of town so he asked me to go to his office next Thursday.” Anna answered. “Let me find out more about where he works.” Then Anna started to type away Tim’s full name and the company’s name.

She was perplexed when she read that 8123 Management was responsible for managing The Maine.

“But of course. Just my luck”. Anna said out loud.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit.

Thanks to the new subscribers and ginnygene for commenting.

I would love to hear what are your thoughts about the story so far.