Status: on hold. i have chapters written but not enough feedback so i'm thinking it through.

Only lonely & ***ed up

What lies ahead

Goodbyes were always really hard and Lucy was very emotional and cried easily. Anna had tears in her eyes but she was somewhat exasperated because people crying made her uneasy – she never knew what to do.

“Thank you for having me in such short notice. And I’m really sorry for being a Negative Nancy most of the time, I promise I’ll be in better shape when we see each other again.” Anna said.

“Don’t be silly, Annie. I love you, ok? Feel better, will you? And here, have this.” Lucy said.

Anna eyed suspiciously the squared packaged, trying to wonder what it was.

“Since I can’t be with you on your birthday, me and mom thought you would enjoy something. I asked her to drop by the mall and go to Hot Topic pick this up.” Lucy grinned.

Anna opened the packaged carefully and rolled her eyes at her friend. “Oh, no, you didn’t. That’s not funny!”

“I thought it may help you understand him better and people are saying good things about the album. If he’s smart enough, he’ll come around. You’ll see!” Lucy said and hugged her friend tightly.

“Give everyone my love and thank them for me. We’ll see other soon.” Anna said and walked to her car. With one last wave, she was out on the road, listening to The Maine’s new album.

The drive back home was pleasantly shorter with the aid of one raspy voice and awesome music overall. If Anna thought she couldn’t be more infatuated with John, well, she was dead wrong because the way he sang and those lyrics were really beyond what she expected. He was much more talented and had such a passion for life and music and she could hear it in his every word.

~~~~~

Anna arrived home and her mother was quiet while listening to some soft music, one of her aunts was there making her mother company, as always. The older woman’s eyes lit up when she saw her youngest daughter coming up from the door. The girl waved to both her mother and aunt.

“Sweetheart, I thought you would stay with Lucy a little longer!”

“Well, I missed you and my bed. Plus, I have an interview in two days!” Anna said kissing her mother on the cheek.

“That’s wonderful news, darling. Did you have fun there? When’s Lucy visiting us again? I haven’t seen her in ages!” The older woman asked.

“You know how things get crazy once we have classes and since it’s our last semester, it’s more complicated to make it happen. But she will sure come here to my graduation!” Anna replied cheerily.

“What about the interview? Tell me more.” Anna’s mother asked.

“Aw, mom. Gabi set up an interview at some of her friend’s management company, I don’t know much – that’s why I’m going there in two days – but I don’t know if I can do it.” Anna frowned.

“Why not?” The older woman asked.

“The work seems really interesting and I could learn so much. But with my luck, of course there would be a catch. The thing is, mom, John’s band is managed by them and I don’t think it’s ok for me to work there.” Anna sighed.

“Nonsense, Annie. You go there and do your best.” Anna’s mother said.

“But don’t you think John will say I’m a stalker or a creep or something like that? One day we don’t even know each other and then my friend is setting us up on a date and we end up having to work together? This is at least weird, mom, I don’t know…” Anna rambled.

“It’s a job, you go there and do it. If you see him, treat him nicely. There’s nothing wrong with you working with him. And if he does think that, it’s his problem, not yours.” The older woman finished.

“Okay, mom, wish me luck because I’m not sure of this interview at all and I really need it. Now I’m going to put my stuff away and say hi to Benny, but if you guys need anything just call my name.” Anna dismissed.

And Anna left her mother and aunt talking about ‘the old times’, reminiscing on their own experience with finding a job at a young age and guy problems.

“Ben!” Anna called while sliding the glass doors to the backyard. The dog came leaping and waggling his tail and finally tried to jump on the girl, almost knocking her over. “You’re impossible. I hope that meant you missed me a lot. I missed you too, boy.”

They played a bit on the summer afternoon. Anna made her mind to take a shower sometime later then do some research on 8123 and her own resumee so she could make a good impression on Tim Kirch and hopefully get the job.

After her shower, she enjoyed the cool air conditioned air pouring through the vents on her bedroom, her laptop on with both the 8123 site opened and her own resume. To calm her nerves, she decided to take her dark green nail polish and replace it with a brand new nude shade one, which she thought would seem really professional.

She wasn’t too sure what her qualities were and much less what made her different from the rest of the people and why they would pick her instead of others for the position, but she would try her best to show she was interested and willing to work hard for the job, if they gave her a chance to.

~~~~~

Anna dressed smart but casual, with blue trousers and a lighter denim buttoned shirt, all paired with flats for comfort. She grabbed her purse before leaving her room and stopped by her mother and asked, “How do I look, mom?”

“Really cute, Annie. Good luck there, do your best, honey.” Anna’s mother replied.

Anna kissed her mother on the cheek and drove to 8123 management. The drive there was filled with Paul Banks’ voice coming through her speakers – he never disappointed in calming her nerves. After one deep breath she exited her car and walked to the offices of 8123.

As she stepped into the room, she had a smile on her face. The atmosphere was light, the first room had a big sign written [ eighty one twenty three ] on the wall there were all white. There were wooden floors and everything seemed so open and inviting.

There was a bearded guy wearing a plaid shirt walking around with a bunch of paper that smiled when she entered the room. “You must be Annie!”

“Anna Wallace, it’s nice to meet you…” Anna replied.

“Gabi told me so much about you I feel like I’ve known you already. Let’s not be strangers, I’m Tim” The guy said, the smile never leaving his face. He was a really nice guy and made Anna feel at ease. But Anna couldn’t help but think of what Gabi could have told him or if John mentioned meeting a crazy girl recently. The thoughts were running fast through Anna’s mind.

“Hey, Tim, it’s really nice to meet you. Thank you for having me today. I hope Gabi saved you from any embarrassing stories!” Anna laughed quietly.

“I promise you she said lots of good things about you.” Tim replied and motioned for Anna to follow him. “So I want to give you a tour of our offices then we’ll seat down at my desk so we can chat a bit, is that ok?”

Anna nodded and they were walking through some rooms where he pointed being someone’s office, another office, a big room for assistants, a conference/ meeting room, a mini studio, a patio-like space, restrooms, small kitchen and a storage room.

“Wow, it’s pretty big around here!” Anna exclaimed with wide eyes.

“It fits our needs, we don’t have a huge staff but when the bands are around town they come here a lot so we need extra space for those guys” Tim said.

They continued the tour and stopped at Tim’s office. It was a simple room but with a touch of his personality and his career: she could see a pretty The Maine poster in all Black and White, signaling their new album release. Tim motioned the girl to sit down at a chair while he sat behind his desk.

“So, as I said, we here manage some bands, a photographer and a music producer. Your job would be helping me out in whatever it is needed.” Tim said.

“I’ve been researching who you manage, they’re pretty different type of bands and people. It must be hectic here, right? What kind of tasks I would be doing?” Anna asked interested.

“Sometimes it is calling out people, making appointments, sorting documents, answering phones, grabbing coffee… It is a bit of everything, never a dull moment, I promise you.” Tim answered. “I read your resume but do you think those tasks are doable? Do you think you could do it?” He continued.

“With my previous experience with summer internships, I was able to perform most of those tasks and what I don’t know or haven’t experienced it yet, well, I’m willing to learn and do what I can to meet expectations.” Anna answered.

“Gabi told me you were graduating at the end of the year, is that right?” Tim asked.

“Yes, it’ll be my last semester at ASU, starting in September.” Anna said.

“So we could arrange for you to stay here part-time at first and once you graduated we could talk again to see what we do about it. That sounds good to you?” Tim questioned.

Anna looked at him incredulously. Was he making an actual offer? “It sounds amazing to me. When do you want me to start?” Anna had a huge smile on her face.

They talked more about the job, tasks, what was expected of her, about The Maine, how he was away in California because they released a new album. This Century and Austin Gibbs who were also touring with The Maine throughout the country. And how Dirk Mai was there to document with videos and pictures the first headlining tour. Brighten was in a hiatus, but its members trying to make some music. Colby Wedgeworth who was working with something new.

They also talked about payments and they set the date for her to start at the beginning of August, so she could be settled before her semester started and before most of the bands were back from tour. She would be able to learn the little things and start before a “bunch of crazy guys”, Tim’s words, were back with new ideas, new problems and lots of hyper behavior, mostly from his younger brother, Pat.

“Oh, my god, Pat’s the Rat Boy, right? Kenny and John told me to watch a video on youtube, it was hilarious. That boy is a hand full!” Anna giggled.

“I’m sensing this is going to work out great, Annie.” Tim said.

They talked some more, organizing some details and swapping contact information.

Anna left 8123 with the biggest smile on her face, something only John had accomplished that year. But she tried not to think about him, but she found it impossible now. Now she would have to mask her infatuation really well, she didn’t want to seem unprofessional to Tim or anyone else.

Texting away, she bombarded her closest friends with the news and stopped by the ice cream shop to celebrate her accomplishment.

Things are looking up Anna thought to herself. Maybe this whole getting a crush on John wasn’t supposed to end up with us together but it being me finding a career worth path.

And she sure was excited for what was coming next.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit.

Thanks for reading.

Things will start to pick up in the next chapter!

Comments would be appreciated!