Status: WorkInProgress.

Beautiful Beautiful

Chapter 3.

“Who is you?”

“It’s Lakota, Dallas. Can you let me in?” I smile at Katarzyna’s 7 year old sister, Dallas.

“Tiki!” She jumped up to my arms as I entered the house. “Tarzyn isn’t here yet. Buses are sloooww. And yucky and smelly too. That’s why mommy lets me ride my bike, like Stefan.” Dallas giggles as I carry her on my back to the living room.

Stefan is the middle child of the Brileva family. He’s 12 and the only boy left in the house. Their father died last year from a snake bite on his annual hunting trip.

Every year he’d go to Russia during July to hunt with his brother. They mostly would look for rabbits, or bears, but he wasn’t looking well enough and got too close to a viper, resulting in a deathly bite.

It crushed this family. I actually think that’s what spawned these issues for Katarzyna.

“Say, Dallas..? What do you think of your sister? Is she pretty?”

“Tarzyn? She’s pretty. She’s the most pretty person I know. And she’s really nice. She always plays dolls with me! And plays Xbox with Stefan. She’s like a saint! And she always helps me with my homework. And en-cure-rages me to be my best. I hope I’m like her when I grow up.” She twirled excitedly.

“Is that so? I find her pretty fantastic, too. Does she have big personal talks with you? Or are you too young for that?” I pull her onto my knee.

She helped me when Mikey broke up with me. He was my firstest boyfriend.” She nodded repeatedly.

“Mom, Dallas, I’m home!” Katarzyna called as she walked in the front door. “Kota? What are you doing here?”

“Oh, I came to talk to you, but you weren’t here, so I’ve been talking to Dallas. We were just talking about her and Mikey.” I smiled back at Dallas.

“Oh, well. Why don’t we go upstairs?” She took my hand and led me up to their family room. “So, what’d you want to talk to me about?”

“I don’t remember actually, but I had a nice conversation down there.”

“Oh? Mikey an interesting topic?” She mocked.

“No.. It was about you. She adores you. She told me how you were the prettiest person she knew; how nice you are to her; how you help her with school; how she’s en-cure-raged by you to be her best.” I smiled as I put my hand on hers.

“Really..? I never really realized she thought like that. I guess I do do a lot with her…. I never really thought about it…” She looked down at our hands, silent.