Little Lion Man

Deux

"D'you work tomorrow?" Corrine asked, sliding my steaming hot chai tea across the counter to me. The coffee shop was quiet and I had just ended my shift.

"Nope, I'm off tomorrow," I grinned, taking the cup from her.

"Doing something fun?" She asked.

"Nah, just staying around my apartment," I said, "Maybe some grocery shopping."

"Well, you have a good day, love. We'll see you Thursday," Corrine said in her motherly tone. I thanked her for my tea and told her to have a great day before heading out into the crowded street, phone in hand. Grey clouds hung low in the sky, threatening rain, it was a chilly October day. I hugged my coat little closer to me as I opened up a new text message.

"good morning, hope I'm not waking you up again,"I sent to Katie. The 5 hour time difference had been rough the first couple of days in London, but I'd gotten used over the past two months. I sipped my chai as I waited for the crosswalk to change and allow my fellow pedestrians and I to cross. The coffee shop was only a few blocks from my apartment, so I was able to walk to work every day. I didn't have to work, but I didn't want to sit around all day. I'd adventured plenty during the first month of my adventure.

"I'm awake," came Katie's reply, "it's too early after the night I had." I rolled my eyes and smiled at her, the clock on my phone read 2 in the afternoon, meaning it was 9 in New York. I started my reply, glancing up to check where I was going, only to come face to chest with a stranger. I was on the ground in a moment, my knee and hands throbbing from the concrete; my hot tea had spilled all over my hands and coat.

"Oh shit, are you alright?" a hand was offered to me as I peered up at the source of the voice, "let me help you up. I'm so sorry."

"Don't touch me," I said quickly, feeling suddenly anxious from all of the stares coming from those walking around this stranger and I as we diverted the flow of foot-traffic. I stood slowly, leaving my now empty cup on the pavement, and looked down at the source of the pain in my leg. My jeans were torn open, exposing a blossoming flower of crimson where my knee was. I could see the gravel stuck to the wound.

"Let me take you to hospital," The stranger said, grabbing my attention, I looked into his inky eyes which seemed genuinely concerned, "you're bleeding."

"I'm fine, thank you," I said, turning away and heading back to my apartment, trying to shake the embarrassment.

"You're not fine," He said after a moment, "You need stitches, or something!" I kept walking, not turning around, "I'm not trying to bother you, I jus-"

"You are bothering me," I called, walking a bit faster.

"You dro-" a crack of thunder rang out, drowning out his words as I ducked through a crowd to lose my follower. I peeked back over my shoulder, proving that I had indeed lost him. My knee was now covered in blood, my pants ruined. I sighed, stopping to look at my leg, I decided to head to the hospital.

***
Russell's Point of View


I looked down at the iphone in my hand, then searched the crowd for another moment before sighing and starting back on my way. I shook my head, wondering why she'd just run off like that. I'd have to ask her once I returned her phone.