Awake My Soul

Chapter 3

"I did something so stupid, Marjory," Daniel says. He's practically sobbing, I know he's drunk because he's slurring. He was at Ashley's New Years party, something I had to miss because I was visiting family in Victoria for the holiday's. Not that I minded, having to take care of Joan and Daniel while they were intoxicated was always a challenge.

"Dan, what is it? Just tell me, it's okay." He's just emotional about something. He must've told one of his friends what he really thought about their girlfriend, or threw up all over Ashley's parents living room floor. It wouldn't be the first time he got over-emotional about a minor issue. "What is it?" I ask softly.

"You're going to hate me..."

My heart starts to quicken a little. "Me? Why would I hate you? Daniel, what are you talking about?"

"I... Oh my GOD... Joan and me..." he started sobbing.

"You and Joan? What about you? Daniel, what did you and Joan do?" I was frantic. Where they okay? I really hoped they weren't stupid enough to have drove drunk. Oh God, please, please, please promise me Joan's okay. "Is Joan there?" I ask. "Daniel, let me talk to Joan."

"She doesn't know I'm calling you..." more sobbing.

I rub my forehead. "Daniel, please, just tell me what you're talking about."

"Promise you won't get mad?"

"Yes, I won't get mad, just tell me."

"Joan and me... we... we had sex..."

It felt surreal. Had I heard that right? Couldn't he have said something else? What sounded like 'we had sex?' Nothing. There was nothing else he could've said, that was the only possibility.

"Marjory? Marjory, are you there?" he stopped sobbing and now sounded worried.

"I'll-I have to go." I hung up the phone before he could talk anymore. I sat down on my grandmother's bed slowly, and looked over at the clock. 1:04AM.

Happy New Year to me.


"Honey?" my eyes shot open and adjusted to the light. "When did you get home?"

I rubbed my eyes and they focused on my mom standing in the doorway, still in her pajamas. Working late nights, she usually slept in until after noon. "I skipped my last two blocks," I admitted.

She didn't argue, I was grateful. "I'm going to order Thai tonight, okay?"

"Yeah, that sounds fine." I rolled onto my back and stared at my ceiling. She lingered for a moment, but then left me alone soon after.

This was it, I decided. Today was my last pity-party day. I was done with being the victim. Tomorrow I would move on with my life.