Rag Doll

Further On Up The Road.

Ponyboy talked to me a little bit while we walked to the movies, but Johnny didn’t. He just walked along with us. He seemed to be scared to talk to me for some reason. I liked Ponyboy a lot. He was a dreamer, and that’s a special thing to find on either side of town. All the socs are scared to dream and the parents had long since forgotten how. Johnny was adorable, but you could see in his eyes that bad things had happened to him.

We went to see a Paul Newman movie. Ponyboy informed me that Paul Newman was his favorite actor. He was mine too, but not for the same reason. Ponyboy wanted to be like Paul Newman; I thought he was super attractive. Johnny just rolled his eyes at the both of us.

“Do you think this movie will be any good?” I asked as we take our seats.

Ponyboy nodded, “I know it’s good!”

“How?”

“He’s already seen it,” Johnny answers for him.

We were shushed by a lady sitting in front of us, so we stopped talking. Halfway through the film, Johnny fell asleep. Ponyboy was completely engaged in the film, but I found myself lost in thought about my predicament.

I never planned on going home again; I was certain about that, I just wasn’t sure how I was going to pull this off. My parents probably had the whole police force looking for me, but I refused to go back. Being at the Curtis house and being around the gang gave me a taste of what it was like to be around people who didn’t ridicule every little thing that I did. I was never going back to that.

I promptly decided that as soon as I could I would talk to Dani about what to do. If I could trust anyone, I was certain it was her. I also knew that she would help me. She seemed to understand what I lived with more than anyone.