Rag Doll

Baby Blue.

I wrapped my oversized sweater over me and got in the truck. Sodapop and Ponyboy joined me in a few seconds, wrapped in just as big jackets. It was probably the funniest scene anyone could ever see. We looked like multicolored marshmallows, all puffed up like that.

"I wish things would heat up soon. I guess it won't, seeing as it'll be Christmas in a month," I was shivering.

"You okay, Dani?" Sodapop asked concernedly.

"I guess,"

He got out of the truck, rushed into the house. After a few seconds, he returned with another jacket. Sodapop got in the truck and handed me the jacket.

"Here, Dani, I don't want you to get cold," he smiled.

I unbuckled me seatbelt and put on the jacket he gave me. I felt a lot warmer and it wasn't because he gave me that jacket. I really love Sodapop. I could never tell him because he has a girlfriend. Plus, he probably only thinks of me as a sister or a friend.

We finally got buckled up, and Mrs. Curtis drove us to school. Ponyboy had just started his freshman year a couple months ago. He was getting along fine enough. Sodapop and I watched over him a bunch.

As for the gang, Dallas is somewhat in and out of school right now. Steve is in the same grade as Sodapop and me. Two-Bit has been in his junior year for a while now. We don't know why he doesn't just pass. He tells us it's 'cause he likes school so much.

When we finally get to school, I thank Mrs. C , and I rush into the building. Thankfully, we were on time.

The warmth of the school made me happy. It was loud in there also. All the students were in deep conversations with their peers.

I just walked to my locker, which was right next to Two-Bit's. He was leaning against his, talking to some blonde. She looked middle-class. Most of the middle-class people don't hate. They don't label. They are friends with both social statuses.

That's what it is here. You're either Soc or Greaser.

Socs get good grades, have beer blasts on the beach and are praised for everything they do. They also own Corvairs, madras sweaters and poodle skirts.

Greasers are poor, live on the poor side of town, are uneducated and hooligans. We're a big family, we watch out for each other. We like to rumble. We do illegal things. We get in jail.

Nevertheless, we are a big family.

That's when I saw that girl again. She was looking at me, like she wanted to talk to me. Although she walks by me, she always wants my attention. Or that's how it seems.

She's a Soc, which makes it really weird. She looks kind of cool, but I don't know if I could trust her...
♠ ♠ ♠
This story takes place eight months before Ponyboy's story, aka the actual novel. This is a few weeks before the death of Mr. and Mrs. Curtis.