The Crow and the Butterfly

Introduction

The first time I left Mystic Falls, Virginia, it was because my step-father was killed by a werewolf. My mom finally got over that, moved on and we moved back. That time, it was my fault we left. I got caught up in the wrong crowd and, well, off we went again. This time, I'm back by myself. My older brother, Douglas, or Dougie as he's more famously known as, joined the Marines and is now over playing in the sand. Well, I'm not technically by myself. My mom and her new husband Phil are with me I graduated high school a year early but decided to wait until I'm 18 to go to college which is a year and a month away. Yeah, my birthday's in August and I started preschool a year early. So I'll be 17 in a month. So technically I would be starting my senior year this September but I lucked out and got blessed with a good brain.

So I'm back in Mystic Falls for a 3rd time and hopefully the last. Oh, by the way, my name's Demyra Zeidta Zahaehev. Yeah, you guessed it – I'm Russian. Well, half Russian. My mom's not but my dad is. He moved to the U.S. 4 months before he met my mom and 10 months later I was born and my dad ran away back to Russia and has remained there since them. My mom has married twice since then. The first was the one I was talking about earlier who was killed by a werewolf. Massacred and torn to pieces is the more proper description. The second marriage is the one she's in right now. Phil's an alright guy, but I wouldn't mind if he were massacred by a werewolf. We tolerate each other, but he's kind of reserved, almost as if he were hiding something.

The house we're moving into is decent sized: three bedrooms, three bathrooms. My bedroom's on the opposite side of the house from my mom and Phil's.

I spent a few hours unpacking boxes and trying to bring some sort of order to my bedroom. It was nice and warm so I left my window open. The next thing I knew there was a fluttering sound at my window. A bird cawed which made me jump. I turned and saw a crow standing on my window sill. I immediately thought of Edgar Allen Poe. The bird just stood there staring at me, almost like it was staring into my soul.

I jumped when there was a knock on my door.

"Yes?" I called.

Phil stuck his head in. "We're going out to eat. C'mon."

I looked back at the window and the bird was gone. That was weird.