The Crow and the Butterfly

Love

I've never really believed in love because I've never seen it. I don't know what love is. My brother ran away after our step-dad was killed and abandoned me, so that can't be love, right? My parent never loved each other. They never even got married. I thought my mom loved her first husband, but after she moved on so fast after he died, I changed my mind. Things with her and Phil are strained. She doesn't want to leave him, but she doesn't want to go into the dating scene again either.

I've never been in love either. I'd never met anyone worthy enough until the first night back in Mystic Falls when I met the mysterious stranger at the Mystic Grill. He was sitting at the bar when we walked in. His eyes met mine and goose bumps rose all over my skin and shivers shot down my spine. He was in his twenties, too old for me, but I felt drawn to him at the same time.

I was pulled from my trance when Phil pushed me forward. I sat so I was facing the bar and the mysterious man's back.

After we ordered our food and Phil got up and went to the bathroom, my dad called.

"I'll be right back." I said to my mom before getting up and going outside.

"Hello?" I waited for a response, but none came. I waited a few seconds longer but nothing, so I hung up. Must have pocket dialed me.

I went to walk back into the grill, but a cold hand covered my mouth and I was dragged beside the building. Cold breath tickled my ear.

"I know who you are, Demyra." A smooth, British voice whispered.

Something sharp traced along my neck and I knew I was dead. I hadn't even been back in Mystic Falls for 24 hours and I was already in trouble.

"I'd suggest you step away from her." A different voice said.

The man let go of me and when I turned around there was no one but me and the man from the bar.
"Are you alright?" He asked, bringing me out of my daze.

"Oh, uh….yeah. I think so. That was really weird." He had a concerned look on his face. "Back in Mystic Falls for 6 hours and I'm already having weird things happening to me."

"Back?"

"Oh, yeah. This is my 3rd time living in Mystic Falls. The last time we moved because I made some not so great decisions. The first time my step-dad was killed by a w-drunk drive. I'm sorry; I don't usually start telling my life story to complete strangers who save my life. Thank you for that."

"No problem. I'm Damon. Damon Salvatore." He held out his hand. "A guy who wouldn't mind getting to know a pretty girl like yourself."

My cheeks flushed a little. "Demyra, but you can call me Demi." I went to shake his hand, but he lifted my hand to his lips and kissed my knuckles. My cheeks got warm and I knew I was blushing.
"I should get back to my family. My mom will start to get worried."

"Oh, I completely understand. I'll be seeing you soon, Demi." He said as I was walking back to the grill."

"What did your dad want?" Phil asked when I sat back down.

"Just wondering if we'd made it and got settled in yet." I looked up at the bar and saw a tall blonde man dressed in all black staring intently at me. I blinked and he disappeared. Maybe coming back to Mystic Falls wasn't such a good idea.